Media bias against City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane's a good call, and Costa apparently was pretty good.
Ta.
I agree with others that it was the match significance that swayed it.

What significance? 6th v 9th?

Simply to say that this was a significant match without further dealing with why it is significant - and that game is significant at the moment for its historical importance only, nothing to do with the actual standing of the two clubs - is to accept the agenda (with a small a) that the media set.

Rooney scored a tap-in in a game between two upper-mid table teams who are at best outside shots for the 4th champions league place and have absolutely no chance of the title this season at all. To put him in the team of the week due to the 'historical significance' of the game is basically to accept that mid table battles between teams with big fan bases are more important to the media than games that might actually affect the destination of the title or the premier league status of the current champions of England.

Which is basically what a lot of posters in this thread have been arguing anyway.

I saw a stat which said Shrek made six passes in the first half one of which included the kick off and not all were successful. If that stat is right he must have either had an unbelievable second half or all the other forwards this weekend were equally as shite

What significance? 6th v 9th?

Simply to say that this was a significant match without further dealing with why it is significant - and that game is significant at the moment for its historical importance only, nothing to do with the actual standing of the two clubs - is to accept the agenda (with a small a) that the media set.

Rooney scored a tap-in in a game between two upper-mid table teams who are at best outside shots for the 4th champions league place and have absolutely no chance of the title this season at all. To put him in the team of the week due to the 'historical significance' of the game is basically to accept that mid table battles between teams with big fan bases are more important to the media than games that might actually affect the destination of the title or the premier league status of the current champions of England.

Which is basically what a lot of posters in this thread have been arguing anyway.

I didn't say I agreed with it.

'Significance' for ESPN is very likely to include the profile of the match. Liverpool-Utd is high profile, always. I think that will have swayed their panel.

I didn't say I agreed with it.

'Significance' for ESPN is very likely to include the profile of the match. Liverpool-Utd is high profile, always. I think that will have swayed their panel.

Sorry, wasn't having a dig at what you were saying, it just seemed as good a place as any to lob in my own view - that players at certain clubs seem to have to do noticeably less than players at other clubs in order to attract acclaim from some parts of the media.

Sorry, wasn't having a dig at what you were saying, it just seemed as good a place as any to lob in my own view - that players at certain clubs seem to have to do noticeably less than players at other clubs in order to attract acclaim from some parts of the media.

Fair enough.
I agree entirely - Garth Crooks for one will pick anyone who scored a goal, regardless of anything else. They're generally meaningless picks - the Sun for example calculate their marks entirely from Opta stats - so incomplete passes count against you. I remember seeing Kompany earlier this season (Chelsea maybe?) get 5/10, as all his headed clearances didn't go to a City player! Somebody wrote that they probably haven't watched all of each match - that's also going to sway things.

I thought Rooney was pretty terrible yesterday - and no-one could get the ball near him in the first half. He was better in the second half. He did however have the one shot on target that won the game. Costa had a better match overall though, and I don't think he even started a fight.

It would be interesting if someone processed all the Sky team of week data from the last 5-10 seasons. Then take a look at each team who went on to win the title, and see how many players made team of the week in total for the season. Compare that to City's totals in our title-winning seasons.

It may show a general reluctance to give credit where credit is blue?

It would be interesting if someone processed all the Sky team of week data from the last 5-10 seasons. Then take a look at each team who went on to win the title, and see how many players made team of the week in total for the season. Compare that to City's totals in our title-winning seasons.

It may show a general reluctance to give credit where credit is blue?
Calling Frank Sinatra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.