Are England the United of international football ?

ccr

A few years ago I was in a Rochdale pub watching a couple of internationals. Scotland were on first and the bar was evenly balanced between Scots and English. Think the Scots won and the English were cheering as loud as the Scots. Then Englands game started against Turkey (?) the one where Beckham fell on his arse taking a pen. Throughout the match the Scots were cheering for Turkey. I mention this in light of the Wales team cheering when Iceland beat us.
If this is the case, should I grow my arms so my knuckles drag on the floor and have my brain removed ?

Well, we might have won summat since '66 had we been the Rags of international footy - sneering, arrogant, but with more than a few wins under our belt, and we might have had manager who would have put the shits up any ref who would have allowed a goal against us in the first half! Nah, the Chairmans are still the Rags of international footy. But the unwashed and uncultured masses still seem to garner great delight at England's misfortunes, be it song contests or football tournaments. I think it is historically based, and all the injustices perpetrated by the British Empire have since been revised to having been committed by the English Empire. The Welsh, Irish and Scottish have done a very clever, sleight-of-hand Pontius Pilate act, and got away with it. And as for those ignoramuses on the continent, they seem to have forgotten what we did for them some seventy years ago. We delivered to Europe something far greater than the EU will ever do! Ungrateful bastards.

If England were a domestic league club then they'd be Newcastle United... Big impressive stadium, Huge fan base that fill the stadium although mostly very quiet.. Ideas of grandeur way above their station and not won a sausage since the days of grainy black and white

England are without a doubt the Liverpool of international football.

Bang average team followed by deluded loons living off long past glories and utterly convinced they are still relevant and this time will be their year.

A few years ago I was in a Rochdale pub watching a couple of internationals. Scotland were on first and the bar was evenly balanced between Scots and English. Think the Scots won and the English were cheering as loud as the Scots. Then Englands game started against Turkey (?) the one where Beckham fell on his arse taking a pen. Throughout the match the Scots were cheering for Turkey. I mention this in light of the Wales team cheering when Iceland beat us.
If this is the case, should I grow my arms so my knuckles drag on the floor and have my brain removed ?

How long have you been living in the UK? Should know by now that the Scottish, Welsh and Irish pretty much hate us for existing and it's nothing to do with our football team. Neither does that feeling necessarily carry any weight outside of this country.

Well, it didn't struck me that the Dutch, Belgium and German media were overjoyed by the Iceland win. First it was as supporting the underdogs, but soon enough the enormous envy to the money spending PL came out.

It's a bit fickle in a way as the PL is the most watched league by far in both Netherlands and Belgium. For Germany that is not the case; they watch their own league but rather accept Bayern to have their one tam league than German players moving to the PL.

I do however understand peoples thought towards the money cow that is the PL nowadays. Rich owners (more so Arabs), crazy money spent on mediocre foreign players, expensive matchday tickets driving fans away, etc. England, English teams and the PL used to be popular with the common working men. Those days seem long gone.

But instead of feeling sorry, the FA should stop pretending they have invented football and start acting bringing in the right people and who are not afraid to revamp the whole system without having their eyes blinkered by money. It's no the England team that people find amusing when they are being knocked out. It goes way deeper. And as a foreigner supporting City for 40 years with many English relatives and watching some popular football talk shows in Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, it's not that hard to explain where the hatred vs England and also vs our club comes from.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.