It's time to buy a new TV

Two Gun Bob

It normally only comes around once in a lunar cycle and yet we have remained content for over 10 years.
Our last offing and still going strong was our Sony Bravia HD 50 incher
Costing back in the day around 1k so working out at around £2 a week and thats without any resale value of around £150 so around £1.75 a week

Well I have to say on the technology front this is probably the worst time of all to take of the plunge.

We no longer are content with HD 1080 and have moved on.
Tv's are not being built this way now but are offering something called 4k
Now 4K is the doggies bollocks because 4K is four times the resolution oF HD

And if that was not enough we no longer have LED but now have OLED technolegy.
Google it as I have no desire to be longwinded as that is not my bag !

So I have studied the market and up to now am at a samsung 8000 series 65 incher for future proofing
I was excited at the Panasonic 902 but on seeing the aesthetics of the naff silver surround thought better.
It has to be said though that the 902 panasonic is a dandy piece of kit.

Anyone had any experiance of the new sets or used the samsung 7000 or 8000 series and what are your thoughts ?

If only life could be so more simpler !

Last edited:
It normally only comes around once in a lunar cycle and yet we have remained content for over 10 years.
Costing back in the day around 1k so working out at around £2 a week and thats without any resale value of around £150 so around £1.75 a week

Smashing marvelous wonderful but what has the world of tv's now got to offer us.
Should be a piece of piss and so lets have a look in !

Well I have to say on the technology front this is probably the worst time of all to take of the plunge.
Or is is the best time I dont really know.

Whatever I do in life I have a tendancy to get embroiled and sucked in to the mantra of the day and suck me in shall you all do !
For I am yours to be suckered into and their lyeth the message of our good lord !

But just wait a cotton minute on here !
Can't our mince pies only see 20/20 vision and have no chance of appreciating 4 times the power of 1080 HD ?

WELL IT MATTERS NOT AND JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU ALL STILL HAVE A FIRM HOLD ON YOUR WALLETS THEY HAVE NOW BROUGHT OUT ULTRA HD WHICH IS EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN 4K!

So I have studied the market and up to now am at a samsung 8000 series 65 incher for futre proffing
I was wxcirted at the panasonic 902 but on seeing the asthetics of the naff silver surround thought better.
Anyone had any experiance of the new sets or used the samsung 7000 or 8000 series and what are your thoughts ?

This is actually brilliant.

Smashing marvelous wonderful but what has the world of tv's now got to offer us.

Whatever I do in life I have a tendancy to get embroiled and sucked in to the mantra of the day and suck me in shall you all do !
For I am yours to be suckered into and their lyeth the message of our good lord !

Can't our mince pies only see 20/20 vision and have no chance of appreciating 4 times the power of 1080 HD ?

WELL IT MATTERS NOT AND JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU ALL STILL HAVE A FIRM HOLD ON YOUR WALLETS THEY HAVE NOW BROUGHT OUT ULTRA HD WHICH IS EVEN MORE POWERFUL THAN 4K!

So I have studied the market and up to now am at a samsung 8000 series 65 incher for futre proffing
I was wxcirted at the panasonic 902 but on seeing the asthetics of the naff silver surround thought better.

I enjoyed that.

In terms of your question, I have the Samsung 9000 series and its wonderful.

I will say, despite your 20/20 snipe, watch something in 1080p and then go watch it in 4K HDR and tell me you can't see a difference :)

What's with all this image smoothing tech on new tellys!! Makes the picture look like it's playing at twice speed, bloody awful, you didn't need that in plasmas cos the screen could refresh a lot faster so no ghosting, but no the powers that be decided that led was the way forward for some reason, most probably cost driven, and so they binned a far superior tech and now we have no choice. If I had the choice I would pay £200 more for a plasma than a led anyday

My Phillips 50" Plasma bought in May 2007 with all the trimmings cost me £1500. Alas the bass box, surround system and all in one radio, DVD Blu-ray ray and CD player succumb to the boxing day floods but the TV is still going strong. At the moment it stands me at £3.00 a week. I doubt very much I will have a TV serve me so well in the future.

I looked about six months ago and concluded that LG, Sony, Samsung were all quality and much of a muchness. I ended up with a 55 inch Sony 4K with HDR. It's a lovely set, cost around £1k although I could have got cheaper if I had sacrificed some of the future proofing. It's worth checking the motion refresh speed. Get the fastest you can. The only gripe is a lack of 4K media as we haven't got the internet speed that Netflix and Bt need and I'm not going down the Sky Q route. Good luck with your endeavours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.