When we were kids....

Putting the small red bangers on a ramp and letting them off.collecting all the unused gunpowder out of them and dropping a match on it to make a smoking genie

We used to make bogeys out of old prams and race them in the cemetery.
We used to swim in the cut and dive off the locks at Marlborough mill.

From our school, Brookdale Park, we used to make fibre glass canoes ...... then take them on the cut to try them out ..... under the teacher's supervision.
No life jackets, no helmets, canal full of shopping trolleys, rats and Christ knows what .... one time, the day after we had been practicing 'rolling' the canoes under the water, whaile still in them, the Police were there pulling a rotting corpse from the very same cut .... Happy daze ....

We used to play a game called Peggy on a rope swing where we would swing out and try and peg a knife in the ground. Next one would try and retrieve it and peg it somewhere else. If they couldn't, next one would try. Winner was the one who could peg it without it being retrieved.

Putting the small red bangers on a ramp and letting them off.collecting all the unused gunpowder out of them and dropping a match on it to make a smoking genie
Used to sneak into the freight depot, fill a 10L paint can with diesel, strap it round with black cats, melt a candle to get the wick out and make a bomb with a (kind of) synchronised fuse and put it in whoever had pissed us off's wheelie bin. Good craic.

If we really hated them we'd fill the bin with pebbles or empty wine bottles.

Right, your use of the term 'Trackers' means something important to me. I would be interested to know what year you are talking about. Me and a mate used to build bikes when we were about 14, which would make it 1971 or thereabouts. We called them Trackers though I have no idea where the term came from. The bikes were single speed with a fixed wheel (so no brakes to get clogged up with mud) and we used big knobbly tyres and what were known then as 'cowhorn' handlebars (which modern Mountainbikers would recognise as wide risers). We used to take them off road all around where we lived (Cadishead). From what I know of the history of Mountainbiking, these developments were roughly in time with the development of Mountainbiking in the USA, specifically California. You are the first person since '71 I have heard use that expression 'Tracker' Thanks mate.
cant remember the exact year,but I reckon mid 70s cowhorns knobbly tires no brakes,they brought out an even wider set of handle bars called bull horns. and we would go anywhere and everywhere off road :) happy days

Used to sneak into the freight depot, fill a 10L paint can with diesel, strap it round with black cats, melt a candle to get the wick out and make a bomb with a (kind of) synchronised fuse and put it in whoever had pissed us off's wheelie bin. Good craic.

If we really hated them we'd fill the bin with pebbles or empty wine bottles.
You were a right **** back then. So glad you grew out of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.