Arsenal Post Match Thread.

Impossible to see in real tame if Leroy was off side or not, but I really liked that he didn't hesitate to check for a flag, see too many players do that and lose an opportunity. A great turn and finish as well.

Can't believe people saying David was offside. I know he's a magician but if he'd have touched the ball, running in the direction he did and sticking his leg out, the only place the ball was going was towards the near post anyway. Not even Dave could've got that in the far corner. Well, probably not.

We're much better with a back four and no Gundogan.

That's how it was when we were fantastic in the first 10 games.

We're much better with a back four and no Gundogan.

That's how it was when we were fantastic in the first 10 games.

Whilst you have a point about 4 at the back, I think the best we've played all season was against Barca at home, in which Gun Dog played a vital role. He's a brilliant player.

Whilst you have a point about 4 at the back, I think the best we've played all season was against Barca at home, in which Gun Dog played a vital role. He's a brilliant player.

I agree he's a brilliant player, but I'm not convinced the balance was right when he came into the side. We have definitely looked better this season without him, which surprised me.

Where are all the fernando haters now? Bullyed arsenal on his own his best performance for us. Silva as per usual ran the gamehe really is the best ever city player!!!

Where are all the fernando haters now? Bullyed arsenal on his own his best performance for us. Silva as per usual ran the gamehe really is the best ever city player!!!
Don't worry they are just hiding. They will be back at the first occasion where Fernando plays a little less convincing.

The major difference though is you can play 11 footballers versus barca who will try and match your movement.

Trying to do it against Everton, Southampton, Leicester and Boro is madness.

I really rate Gundogan, but it's him and Silva in the 10 or him and Kev in the 10 if he's to play. It simply doesn't work right now with all 3 in there, the barca game being the exception for the reason I stated. if you re-watch that game, we dropped David deep and played him in the Modric role. He plays this role better than Ilkay, so if we are to play all 3 it means putting Silva very deep, which is somewhat wasting him when the opponent is camped in their box.

The four at the back is an absolute no brainer, we look far more balanced thanks to this and Ilkay being out.

I'm not a Fernando hater. I just don't think he is good enough.
Good stopper though he is, yesterday was the FIRST game in ALL HIS TIME WITH US that he has actually REGULARLY passed the ball FORWARD, QUICKLY (i.e.with zero, one or two touches before he passes it) or Advanced into the space in front of him when Arsenal players fell back in front of him .
GREAT TO SEE AND LONG MAY IT CONTINUE.

Last edited:
I know its weird but our season seems to revolve around Kolarov. When he is told to bomb forward we get hammered, when he plays in the centre of a disciplined 4 we seem to do better. Is this the player or the coach, i have no idea, but he seems to be a favourite of Pep and as such its key to how we play.

The press are peddling the line that Arsenal were firmly in control in the first half but wilted in the face of City's second half onslaught, when Gusrdiola realised pretty-pretty football had to give way to good old English physicality to overcome Arsenal's foreign softies. There followed analysis after analysis of how Arsenal were sabotaged by the ref as they threw the game away. This is not the game any of us watched.

Guardiola teams have never simply played pretty-pretty football and City don't. They didn't convert to physicality during halftime either. City play high energy, intense, possession-based pressing football. For 45 minutes yesterday the high energy, the intensity and the pressing were missing. Arsenal's goal was the best example- a full back allowed to run 60 yards, two other players move the ball into our area and Walcott puts it in without a City player getting within 5 yards of any of them! Bravo did what he always seems to do in a one-on-one - go down to his left far too early. It was the missing ingredients which had destroyed United, which had not given Messi & co a sniff for over an hour and which had tortured Chelsea for an hour which came back in the second half.

But Arsenal were beaten tactically as well. The MEN has failed to grasp this by asking what Pep has got against Iheanacho. The answer is - nothing at all. But in Barcelona he left Sergio out for greater solidity in midfield, and yesterday he left out Iheanacho to pack the midfield. I think the explanation is quite simple. Arsenal - like Barcelona- pass the ball well and play through midfield. Pep wanted numerical superiority there to deny Arsenal the ball and marginalise Sanchez and Walcott. Now, this clearly won't work without the intense press. In the second half City pressed in packs, isolated the Arsenal lad with the ball and the Gooners didn't launch an attack of note. But City also had two wide men of frightening pace, who, much of the time, did keep the chalk on their boots. This stretched Arsenal's back line across the pitch but also forced Arsenal to try and counter their pace by dropping ever deeper. Two lines of four in a decent defensive formation gave way to isolated front men unable to link with midfielders unable to keep the ball or shield a beleaguered back four. City's back four, so vulnerable early on, we're given excellent protection because Arsenal were denied time and good ball in midfield and couldn't move it forward, and so our lads could move forward to make interceptions or tackles. We were never turned and no-one was allowed to run at us with the ball.

I think the comeback was a triumph for Silva, KdB, Sané, Sterling and YaYa but most of all for Pep. He drew up the blue print for success but for 45 minutes the lads only put half of it into practice. In the second half we got nearly the whole package and it was impressive. That is Pep's mission - to get us playing Guardiola football for 90 minutes a game, 65 games a season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.