Angus Gunn

He's less than 2 weeks away from 21 and hasn't yet played a senior game at club level.

I know it's not all about exactly when you start but is that not a concern? Some players that break through take longer than others but almost 21 without a single league game is unusual.

He's less than 2 weeks away from 21 and hasn't yet played a senior game at club level.

I know it's not all about exactly when you start but is that not a concern? Some players that break through take longer than others but almost 21 without a single league game is unusual.
For a keeper?
You're taking the piss.

He's playing for the England u21s ahead of plenty of English keepers who have got senior experience.

I suppose Pickford's ahead of him now but he wasn't at the start of the season.

My point is he's not just highly rated here but around the country as well, and has been for a long time.

Why would we want him to go on loan anyway? It's not like playing for Macclesfield is going to prepare him to succeed Bravo, he needs to be somewhere where he's learning to play with his feet as much as his hands.

Much more beneficial to stay here, learn from Bravo and Pep how to play out, which passes to pick, when and where, how to direct things from the back, and earn Pep's trust that way.

If he gets to 23 and he hasn't got a first team appearance I'll agree with you.

He's playing for the England u21s ahead of plenty of English keepers who have got senior experience.

I suppose Pickford's ahead of him now but he wasn't at the start of the season.

My point is he's not just highly rated here but around the country as well, and has been for a long time.

Why would we want him to go on loan anyway? It's not like playing for Macclesfield is going to prepare him to succeed Bravo, he needs to be somewhere where he's learning to play with his feet as much as his hands.

Much more beneficial to stay here, learn from Bravo and Pep how to play out, which passes to pick, when and where, how to direct things from the back, and earn Pep's trust that way.

If he gets to 23 and he hasn't got a first team appearance I'll agree with you.

you cant replicate proper game time though on a training pitch. your right it is good hes learning here and with pep. but hed be much better out on loan. Send him somewhere to the end of the season and give him some experience being a number one. pickford was no where near sunderlands team until he went to preston ? i think last year - that really helped push him on. bring gunn back next year and give him all the cup games.

playing for someone like maccesfield might not be good for passing out, but at least he'd be getting some experience.

you cant replicate proper game time though on a training pitch. your right it is good hes learning here and with pep. but hed be much better out on loan. Send him somewhere to the end of the season and give him some experience being a number one. pickford was no where near sunderlands team until he went to preston ? i think last year - that really helped push him on. bring gunn back next year and give him all the cup games.

playing for someone like maccesfield might not be good for passing out, but at least he'd be getting some experience.

Experience of what? Booting the ball 60 yards every time it goes near him? No thanks, I think I'd rather he stayed here learning how to play the kind of football we want him to.

Pickfords loan did nothing. He was picked because the other options were injured, that's it. He didn't come back from loan ahead of Mannone, he just got his chance from injury like nearly every young keeper.

As one of the most talked about young keepers in the country, Gunn would be on loan within days if we put him out there. But he's not, because Guardiola wants him close.

if you actually want Gunn to break into the team, under Guardiola, spending time with Guardiola is 100x more important than a 3 month emergency loan to league 2, which he'd spend half of on the bench.

Not at City, unfortunately.

Hopefully it will change, for all our young players.

For a keeper?
You're taking the piss.

Am I? Name me a keeper that hadn't played a senior club game by the age of 21.

I get the idea of learning how to be the type of keeper we needed, I'll trust the club know what they are doing here but for me you can't beat going out and playing.

A loan would still help him develop some of the non-technical aspects of being a keeper.

Can't see that myself. The number 2 is usually a more mature keeper who has been and done it, not a youngster who is still developing.He needs to go out on loan either abroad or to a Championship club
But our #1 is mature who has been and done it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.