Jack Byrne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Pep will have a look at him. He's bound to be better right now anyhow, as he's been playing senior football for years.

i imagine Jack Rodwell or Gelson Fernandes would be better than Byrne if they started tomorrow.

Non of that is relevant to whether A: Jack could be a better player by now than he currently is, if he'd been playing in the right team & B: whether we can get him back on track for a fully deserved shot at our squad, which was the position in July.

Well obviously the club thought otherwise, and that decision seems to be vindicated by his performance (or lack thereof) at Blackburn.

Well obviously the club thought otherwise, and that decision seems to be vindicated by his performance (or lack thereof) at Blackburn.

You have no idea what the club thought. We signed two players for transfer fees & sent them out on loan. It would be a strange situation if we signed them for millions & don't think they are good enough for a shot at our squad. No reason to think Byrne wasn't in the same position.

Byrne was a player coming though his loan absolutely as well as we could possibly have hoped. He went out to play regular football, same as the kids we signed. Imo if he had gone to PSV instead of Blackburn, he'd be in the team just as often as Zinchenko & if it was reversed Zinchenko would be on the bench at Blackburn, as would Celina.

You have no idea what the club thought. We signed two players for transfer fees & sent them out on loan. It would be a strange situation if we signed them for millions & don't think they are good enough for a shot at our squad. No reason to think Byrne wasn't in the same position.

Byrne was a player coming though his loan absolutely as well as we could possibly have hoped. He went out to play regular football, same as the kids we signed. Imo if he had gone to PSV instead of Blackburn, he'd be in the team just as often as Zinchenko & if it was reversed Zinchenko would be on the bench at Blackburn, as would Celina.

I don't claim to know what the club thought - however if they did think he "fully deserved a spot at our squad, which was the position in July", then I dare say he would have, funnily enough, had a spot in our squad.

The fact that he was sent on loan seems to indicate that the club did think he did...

I don't claim to know what the club thought - however if they did think he "fully deserved a spot at our squad, which was the position in July", then I dare say he would have, funnily enough, had a spot in our squad.

The fact that he was sent on loan seems to indicate that the club did think he did...

I'm not saying he fully deserved a spot in the squad for this season, I'm saying that in the summer, he was completely on track to get a shot at City's first team & fully deserved that status as a prospect.

Now he isn't even in the picture & is behind a lot of players, basically because he's been in the wrong place.

He was a hot prospect who looked on track to be groomed for the first team in June. Now he is an unknown quantity. We have no idea what condition he is in physically or mentally wheras 6 months ago he was on top of the world & full of confidence.

It's a real shame.

The way his loan was all rushed very much sounded like it was Byrne himself who wanted to get out on loan. It hasn't worked out so he's come back and will have another shot at the first team in the summer. He won't have regressed this year, just won't have taken any steps forward, which is a shame as he finished last season looking like one of our brightest talents.

The way his loan was all rushed very much sounded like it was Byrne himself who wanted to get out on loan. It hasn't worked out so he's come back and will have another shot at the first team in the summer. He won't have regressed this year, just won't have taken any steps forward, which is a shame as he finished last season looking like one of our brightest talents.

With the benefit of hindsight, assuming he had stayed here rather then go to Blackburn, would he have actually made any appearances? Maybe against the Rags in the Cup, but I mean we've had close to three of our midfielders out for a fair chunk of the season (Gundogan and Delph with Injuries, Toure because his agent is a pork chop) and Fernandinho has been suspended for a fair few games as well, and Garcia has only had a few appearances here and there. I would assume Byrne would be behind him (despite that they are different players) but he probably would not have got many opportunities if he had stayed...

Whatever his status last summer or now, Byrne needs to go on loan and he will. The club, player and his agent need to be sure he ends up at a club with a foreign manager or a manager that actually tries to play football on the pitch.

With the benefit of hindsight, assuming he had stayed here rather then go to Blackburn, would he have actually made any appearances? Maybe against the Rags in the Cup, but I mean we've had close to three of our midfielders out for a fair chunk of the season (Gundogan and Delph with Injuries, Toure because his agent is a pork chop) and Fernandinho has been suspended for a fair few games as well, and Garcia has only had a few appearances here and there. I would assume Byrne would be behind him (despite that they are different players) but he probably would not have got many opportunities if he had stayed...

The situation you describe with Garcia etc, is what should have already happened with players such as Byrne, Barker, Denayer etc etc etc etc years ago. They should have been brought in for a taste of the first team when they were at their peak, then loaned, to play regular football, if they didn't break through. Then we have seen them at first team level & they have tasted it, rather than just ornaments around the club or, in the case of Denayer, not even remotely anything to do with City whatsoever, apart from ownership. Pep is doing that with the younger kids now, but for all the older generation, it's past that point & Pep can't possibly try them al out, & it wouldn't be fair to have them hanging around, going through the same motions, week in week out.

They need football & it's about trying to relight their careers on loan, as they haven't had a sniff of opportunity at City in the past 3 years.

Byrne was one of the few who landed in the right place on loan & was doing everything right & putting himself back in the picture. But now it's gone tits up again for him.

I may be totally wrong, but I feel that if Pep had more time & those fucking euros weren't in the way, players like Byrne & Denayer may have had a shot this season, at least up til this transfer window.

Byrne would have had a fairly major advantage over Garcia in that he already had a season of professional football under his belt. He would have been more first team ready than Aleix in August, used to playing against pro's, used to playing in very high stakes games, and much more experienced at having to be completely switched on for 90 minutes.

Byrne is IMO quite easy for a manager to trust as well, he works like a dog and he looks after the ball - he's not going to give away possession cheaply and get you in trouble.

Put it this way - Jack's got 31 games worth of professional experience (2754 mins), and Garcia has 4 games worth (318).

The situation you describe with Garcia etc, is what should have already happened with players such as Byrne, Barker, Denayer etc etc etc etc years ago. They should have been brought in for a taste of the first team when they were at their peak, then loaned, to play regular football, if they didn't break through. Then we have seen them at first team level & they have tasted it, rather than just ornaments around the club or, in the case of Denayer, not even remotely anything to do with City whatsoever, apart from ownership. Pep is doing that with the younger kids now, but for all the older generation, it's past that point & Pep can't possibly try them al out, & it wouldn't be fair to have them hanging around, going through the same motions, week in week out.

They need football & it's about trying to relight their careers on loan, as they haven't had a sniff of opportunity at City in the past 3 years.

Byrne was one of the few who landed in the right place on loan & was doing everything right & putting himself back in the picture. But now it's gone tits up again for him.

I may be totally wrong, but I feel that if Pep had more time & those fucking euros weren't in the way, players like Byrne & Denayer may have had a shot this season, at least up til this transfer window.

You're probably right about the Euros, but I'm not sure Denayer or Byrne would have benefitted, because both left for regular football, and I don't think either wanted a rotation/back up role this season, which is completely fair.

Denayer in particular, I just can't see how Pep would have not preferred to have a 4th centreback this season. At least Denayer's agent made it seem Pep was very involved in choosing where he went on loan, which makes me optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.