Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Two routes we use regularly - The Rochdale Canal and the Leeds Liverpool Canal. The former goes from Ancoats to Sowerby Bridge. Upto Littleborough it is a decent hard surface with a bit of cobbles. We regularly ride from Littleborough Station to the Velodrome. About thirty miles round trip. The latter we have cycled from Burnley to Barnoldswick. Lovely ride. And also from Bingley to almost Leeds.

We also done the Transpennine Trail for a few miles. Southport to Little Crosby. That's flat but could be a little windy. About 25 miles round trip.

A good book is Traffic Free Rides from Sustrans.

Just found this thread, ordered my first mtb pick it up at weekend. Raring to get going on some of the routes on here. I'm 10 mins from Reddish Vale which looks like a good starting point.

Reddish Vale is hilly and, in places, very muddy so on a mtb should be fun. You're also not far from Fallowfield loop which is flat and Tarmac from Audenshaw to Chorlton.

Two routes we use regularly - The Rochdale Canal and the Leeds Liverpool Canal. The former goes from Ancoats to Sowerby Bridge. Upto Littleborough it is a decent hard surface with a bit of cobbles. We regularly ride from Littleborough Station to the Velodrome. About thirty miles round trip. The latter we have cycled from Burnley to Barnoldswick. Lovely ride. And also from Bingley to almost Leeds.

We also done the Transpennine Trail for a few miles. Southport to Little Crosby. That's flat but could be a little windy. About 25 miles round trip.

Those cobbles unnerve me in the wet, especially the hilly ones on the Ashton canal. I had my annual big fall on Monday. My leg looks like it's been dragged along the tarmac for a mile. Might have to try Leeds Liverpool. What's that surface like?

Those cobbles unnerve me in the wet, especially the hilly ones on the Ashton canal. I had my annual big fall on Monday. My leg looks like it's been dragged along the tarmac for a mile. Might have to try Leeds Liverpool. What's that surface like?

Ah, The Ewing Cycling Club don't venture out in the wet or the wind! Also, when there is a hill Rule 1 of said club states "There is no shame in getting off a bike and pushing it!"

As far as I recall there is nothing on the Leeds Liverpool, well the bit we do, that is cobbled. It's mainly tarmac or hard dirt. There's some modern surface at a place whose name I don't recall, underneath a bridge that is concrete with funny ruts but not a spot where yer'd go down!

This looks like a nice ride

It might seem like a nice ride but its one of the toughest Audax's out there, my cycling mate who prefers this type of riding (flatish and steady) did it last time out and it was grim, you have to hit timing points, he was surviving on a couple of hours sleep here and there and thats without any technical issues. Its a beast of a ride.

You can get down to huddersfield from sowerby...then jump down into Marsden into oldham,smokies, woodhouses, clayton vale...etihad..(the riding back down the rochdale aint worth two bob)

Tanning it down that fallowfield loop fortnight ago, heard a sqwuak, brakes on and i discovered two green parakeets sat on a tree trying to mither a squirell out of a hole...late afternoon

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.