Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caroline Lucas had over 30% of the vote in her win though, as we vote MPs in its fair she won her seat, the BNP got nowhere near that in any of their seats. The Greens got nearly 4% of the vote at the last general election which was easily their best general election result. For me the largest injustice was highlighted by SWP's back earlier in the thread saying that UKIP nearly 13% of the nationwide vote and 1 MP and the SNP got nearly 5% of the vote but ended up with 56 MPs. UKIP had over 2 million more votes than SNP.

A change to the voting system was rejected via referendum recently, so it isnt likely to be altered any time soon.
MPs represent an area though, not the entire country. The flip side would be UKIP having 3 times as many Scottish MPs as the SNP with zero popular support in the areas they were supposed to be representing.

MPs represent an area though, not the entire country. The flip side would be UKIP having 3 times as many Scottish MPs as the SNP with zero popular support in the areas they were supposed to be representing.

You have 56 MPs making decisions effecting not just those areas they represent but the entire country, areas they didnt even try to win, that is the point.

Caroline Lucas had over 30% of the vote in her win though, as we vote MPs in its fair she won her seat, the BNP got nowhere near that in any of their seats. The Greens got nearly 4% of the vote at the last general election which was easily their best general election result. For me the largest injustice was highlighted by SWP's back earlier in the thread saying that UKIP nearly 13% of the nationwide vote and 1 MP and the SNP got nearly 5% of the vote but ended up with 56 MPs. UKIP had over 2 million more votes than SNP.

A change to the voting system was rejected via referendum recently, so it isnt likely to be altered any time soon.
I think it was the success of duping the public to vote for something daft in this referendum that gave Cameron the confidence to think he could pull that stunt again.

Like I said I was somewhat making figures up, I just recall that there were significantly more nazi scumbags than greens and if we are to call ourselves a true democracy their voice should be heard proportionately. However I suppose the advantages of our system is that they are not, although the flip side is the BNP's demise was ukips gain and despite achieving their policy goal through a myriad of lies and false promises continue to operate. To be fair I just despair at politics at the moment and have done now for a good while. There was a time pmq's was a genuine opportunity to grill the incumbent on policy and direction but now it seems, (led by our salivating fleet st mob) nothing more than an opportunity to score cheap shots and low blows, the likes of which Andrew 'the nutcracker' Golota would be proud. As I said earlier I'm a labour leaner but whilst that dick is in charge I'll be spoiling my papers

Like I said I was somewhat making figures up, I just recall that there were significantly more nazi scumbags than greens and if we are to call ourselves a true democracy their voice should be heard proportionately. However I suppose the advantages of our system is that they are not, although the flip side is the BNP's demise was ukips gain and despite achieving their policy goal through a myriad of lies and false promises continue to operate. To be fair I just despair at politics at the moment and have done now for a good while. There was a time pmq's was a genuine opportunity to grill the incumbent on policy and direction but now it seems, (led by our salivating fleet st mob) nothing more than an opportunity to score cheap shots and low blows, the likes of which Andrew 'the nutcracker' Golota would be proud. As I said earlier I'm a labour leaner but whilst that dick is in charge I'll be spoiling my papers

I read that soiling my papers... dirty protest might be taking it a bit too far in your local polling station.

Thing is though, he didn't win did he. He lost by over 2.5 million votes so I understand. America is a convoluted conservative place that has carefully, consideratly and deliberately developed a system to maintain the centre/right, right, far right, wing political system they fostered when faced with a Cold War with them dirty communists.

Genuine question have the dems ever had overwhelming majorities in both houses?

the electoral college has been in place for what 200 years ?. they got more votes because of california, hilary didn't bother with the rest/middle of the country and neither did the democrats. they know as does everyone else that they have to win the electoral college to win. so the thing is he did win, hence why hes now president.

Couldn't believe it, got up this morning and the world hadn't ended........

And slavery hasn't been brought back, all the immigrants haven't been deported, and homosexuals aren't being thrown off roofs.

the electoral college has been in place for what 200 years ?. they got more votes because of california, hilary didn't bother with the rest/middle of the country and neither did the democrats. they know as does everyone else that they have to win the electoral college to win. so the thing is he did win, hence why hes now president.
Oh ok gop'er the subsequent comments on our own flawed system attest to the fact that theres a discussion to be had but you're argument is akin to us beating totteringham tonight 5-4 but they get the points cos they won more corners and free kicks in key areas??? I didn't like either candidate but there is evidently a flaw when he polled 2.5 MILLION+ fewer votes and if we are to say the US a model of democracy we need to obviously brush over the fact that this is not the first time it's happened in fact, is it not twice out of the last four elections. Funny that the loser on those two occasions was a dem?

Clinton got more votes because more voters voted for her than for Trump, not "because of California."

But I agree with the inference that calls for the Electoral College to be reformed are the sourest of grapes. I've never really liked it but I understand its purpose and everyone knows how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.