City fined £35,000 for anti-doping admin error

Please excuse my ignorance on these matters but what if the player(s) decided on the spur of the moment, as I'm sure a lot of us do, to go visit someone? Say a relation or a friend or just go to the pictures without thinking of passing on the information. Does that make the club liable?
What is the player suppose to do phone or text every time he plans to go out, e.g. going to the shops be about an hour, 40min later changed my mind going for a latte with the wife. Changed my mind again going for a game of ten pin bowling. I know it looks funny but it isn't meant to be. Thus this mean every time the players want to go out they have let the club know where they are going. What would happen if they got stuck in a traffic jam because of an accident is that the club's or the players fault if they miss a drug screening test. Surely thy FA could do this by screening the players at their clubs training ground before they start training, where they are sure to get the players they want. What the FA want is for the players to stay at home and lead boring lives and don't have any fun at all..

It's part of the rules of being a pro footballer, they should live with it as it'll all be contractual obligations I expect.

Again, to hit this failing point, the club had at least 5 people wrongly placed on at least 3 occasions. It is highly unlikely that 5 players all suddenly decided to go out for the short period which they've told the club where they will be.

No-one has been charged with missing a test. This is not the problem, but if a tester did arrive to find a player AWOL then there could well be a lot of trouble. Normally the testers will use training sessions as it's far easier to get a number of people all at the same time and place.

Traffic jams can be allowed for to arrive at training on time, and if there is a blockage of some sort, then the procedure isn't entirely unforgiving - as Christian Negouai found about 15 years ago; he went to pick up his mother from the airport (with club/testers permission), and got stuck on the way back, missing the window that the testers were present for. Being either well-advised or smart, he stopped at a private clinic in Didsbury and left a sample that day. As he had permission to be absent, albeit not for all of the time, and had shown willing, he was given a small fine (£2k I think) for the technical breach.

Ah yeah fair enough they are supposed to be surprise visits yes... well maybe the drug testing board could have GPS information from any clubs/players signed up to it.

I think this is getting towards "what if" territory - what if the phone runs down or is lost or left at home, and why should the testers be the ones running around looking for players. There are flaws with every system, and in this case it appears that something has gone wrong in providing info to the FA. It's admin failure.

Most of the time, it will be training sessions; injured players would have to provide time and place.

Let them take the bloody drugs. Who cares.

Maybe we know that is the problem so until we dry out some of them we prefer to take the hit via admin with a smokescreen of detail omissions.
There again maybe they have all been tested and passed the actual drug test and it is simply an admin failure.

I think this is getting towards "what if" territory - what if the phone runs down or is lost or left at home, and why should the testers be the ones running around looking for players. There are flaws with every system, and in this case it appears that something has gone wrong in providing info to the FA. It's admin failure.

Most of the time, it will be training sessions; injured players would have to provide time and place.
The point is eliminating admin errors that make the club or the player look bad. So say they were supposed to be somewhere according to the info they have from the club and they check the GPS and it's obvious they are not then it would actually stop them making wasted trips in the first place possibly(less running around), they wouldn't even have to inform the player to tip them off they are about to make a visit which could then be done the next day. There's no excuse for a player leaving without their phone these days given the nature of their work, it could be stipulated in their contract and explained why to them.

The point is eliminating admin errors that make the club or the player look bad. So say they were supposed to be somewhere according to the info they have from the club and they check the GPS and it's obvious they are not then it would actually stop them making wasted trips in the first place possibly(less running around), they wouldn't even have to inform the player to tip them off they are about to make a visit which could then be done the next day. There's no excuse for a player leaving without their phone these days given the nature of their work, it could be stipulated in their contract and explained why to them.

Oh, I understood what you were getting at. I just think that there is a system which shows very little sign of being unworkable, except at City.
I don't think it's broken and doesn't need fixing.

Ah yeah fair enough they are supposed to be surprise visits yes... well maybe the drug testing board could have GPS information from any clubs/players signed up to it.
There's no reason they couldn't have GPS tracking chips implanted under their skin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.