Sky Sports Viewing Figures Down?

They can blame streaming or the rags all they want, but here's the ugly truth.

Swansea vs Hull is not a watchable fixture worthy of being called SUPER SUNDAY. Nor is West Brom vs Watford. Yet Sky seem to be really bad in recent years of trying to push these kind of games as big, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Now if you are paying 800 quid per month in a bar for this, you are fuming. My cousin cancelled sky in his bar over this very thing. 3 weeks running it was killing his Sunday trade, as regular families wont go and eat when there's football on, and football fans wont watch that crap unless they are bored.

Swansea vs Hull is not a watchable fixture worthy of being called SUPER SUNDAY. Nor is West Brom vs Watford. Yet Sky seem to be really bad in recent years of trying to push these kind of games as big, when nothing could be further from the truth.
Now if you are paying 800 quid per month in a bar for this, you are fuming. My cousin cancelled sky in his bar over this very thing. 3 weeks running it was killing his Sunday trade, as regular families wont go and eat when there's football on, and football fans wont watch that crap unless they are bored.
So are you saying Sky should only show the self-proclaimed "big-clubs", you know, the ones with all that 'istree?

Some good points there but it's not fair to single out the "journeyman" clubs.
Some of the supposed "glamour" boys have turned in some turgid performances, these past five or so years.
People get sick of being told that flat beer is best champagne and - crucially - casual glory-hunters won't tune in if the bestest club(s) in the whole wide world are struggling somewhere between third and seventh.
There's a reason why Sky try to force a narrative upon every season (eg campaigning for Aguero's ban before the derby, whilst turning a blind eye to the activities of players at certain clubs who draw more viewers).
A dip in viewing figures is inevitable if the glory-hunters have tuned out because the bandwagon is banjaxed and also the genuine fans are weary of Sky's clumsy attempts to push up their viewing figures (lo and behold, even a rag mentioned how Sky's bias is especially grating when all is not well in the Theatre of Draws).
My heart weeps for poor Rupert Murdoch, of course.

I would love to see sky's business model, how much of their revenue is from subscriptions, advertising and selling the rights overseas etc, I think they could drop subscription fees considerably, increase viewing figures & then get more advertising revenue.
About 28 years ago I was in Hong Kong and watched a game there, every couple of minutes and advert appeared at the bottom or the side of the picture, bound to be more effective marketing than at half time when most viewers go to make a brew, grab another tin from the fridge and or go for a piss.

I can imagine pubs selling their space as 'No football broadcast here - football free Sundays - Super Sunday Football Free'! But SSNakesTV won't be too bothered - they have 670m armchair fans to tap up.

I can imagine pubs selling their space as 'No football broadcast here - football free Sundays - Super Sunday Football Free'! But SSNakesTV won't be too bothered - they have 670m armchair fans to tap up.
A few years ago The Woodhouse Gardens In Woodhouses Failsworth did just that, anyone wanting to watch football would pop next door to The Working Mens Club. Not sure if it's still the same.

People forget the reason that Sky introduced 4:00pm Sunday kick-offs in the first place.
It was brought in when the old licensing laws (and Sunday hours when Pubs were shut on sundays between 3:30 & 7:00pm ) were around. This was specifically done to try make people buy home subscriptions, rather than pile down the pub to watch it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.