Willy Caballero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill De Niro is competing with Willy and Bravo after the throw in the second half that landed on my bonce lol!

Looks like we've found our starter for the rest of the campaign. Loved the look on his face after saving that penalty.

I really admire Willy's character. He has been through a lot but he has stood up and played ever so well. Two huge saves last night, and you could tell that he was bursting with pride at the end.

Good on you Willy.

One positive about our keepers is that they are both ace at penalties.
Willy is great as we know, but bravo has saved all 3 penalties he has faced this season and has saved them in shoot outs at world cups and in 2 copa america finals.
Not worried in the least about penalties now.. whoevers in net

I really admire Willy's character. He has been through a lot but he has stood up and played ever so well. Two huge saves last night, and you could tell that he was bursting with pride at the end.

Good on you Willy.

Yeah, I think 'character' is an apt thing to talk about with him. Pep will love how little he was effected by the minor kicking error which led to their first goal. What annoys me the most about that goal is that everyone immediately started going on about Willy's kick. That wasn't the issue as much as the awful defending and unbelievable subsequent cross. I knew he was going to save that penalty and I knew he'd make big saves to keep us in the tie. I like him a lot as a keeper as well as as a man. Don't think he'll stay this summer but if he does I won't mind at all. Shown he is up to the task of being our keeper when called upon.

I'd love to see Mario take pens against Willy. It would be a clash similar to that known as the big bang and the moment of creation.

It would be nothing like that, but i'm still buzzing so give me a break.

Huge respect for Willy and he's firmly made himself a fans favourite, even years beyond his term at City. Had basically no confidence from City fans before the League Cup final and to turn it around the way he has is amazing. Two enormous saves last night to keep us in the tie, never mind be in the strong position we are now.

He's probably most fans number 1 at the moment, and I don't think it's fair to use Bravo's form as justification of that, the guys deserved it all on his own.

Still lots to do, I agree. Bravo would get slated for that though and it gets on my tits.
All goalkeepers make mistakes. Bravo does very little to earn forgiveness for his. That is the difference.

Probably one of my favourite City players at the moment. Humble, friendly, clearly passionate- what's not to like?

Last edited:
The BBC, among others, have typically put in their report that it was a weak attempt at a penalty. They have managed to blind themselves to what actually went on and have missed the point of a bit of fantastic execution of skill and bottle.

Probably the most effective way to score a penalty, if you can bring it off, is to stutter the run up and wait for the keeper to commit himself or not and put it past him where he isn't. Mario was brilliant at it and if he got it right you cannot imagine him not scoring.

Willy backed himself to be better than Falcao. He didn't guess and hope to get lucky by diving early. Instead he waited out Falcao while Falcao stuttered the run up. That took bottle. He didn't move till he knew where the shot was going and then dived to stop it. That took skill. It was a great penalty save. If Falcao's attempt looked weak it was because of great play by Willy.

I am not surprised the pundits missed it. Most of these pundits wouldn't know that Messi was a decent player if they hadn't been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.