John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones biggest problem is who he has next to him. He's still learning his trade and as such should be paired with an experienced older head who can point him in the right direction. Instead he has Otamendi, who is frequently out of position or makes a rash challenge and gets turned, leaving Stones to deal with the aftermath. Quite often you will see Stones shouting instructions to Otamendi when he should actually be getting them.
The talent is clearly there and I am still hopeful it will shine through, it won't with clowns like Otamendi next to him though.
Spot on this.

He did tackle and he did head the ball. Numerous times. Do people actually watch our games or just shut their eyes and moan for ninety minutes? He also played some superb forward passes. He had a very good game outside of the Falcao goal. A very good game.

He really didn't. He's consistently the weak link in our offside trap.

Every single time a player runs at him he drops and drops and drops, never standing up to them and putting the rest of the line under pressure as they have to drop to track runners as a result.

The guy has literally nothing in his toolbox to date other than looking good in possession. That's it. That's all he had at Everton and it's all he has right now, so for me he hasn't shown a single sign of progression in the defensive game.

We are a far more solid team without him. Kolarov and Otamendi look better than Stones and Otamendi, and there's a reason for that.

Spot on this.

If this is the case, why does Otamendi look far better with Aleks?

It's because Kolarov is a far more functional defender and gets the idea of playing as a tandem. Stones doesn't.

I'm not saying Otamendi is without fault(he clearly is woeful) but it's not coincidence he looks better next to a player with more discipline.

Stones and Otamendi is a tandem of undisciplined players and it's chaos.

It's because Kolarov is a far more functional defender and gets the idea of playing as a tandem. Stones doesn't.

I'm not saying Otamendi is without fault(he clearly is woeful) but it's not coincidence he looks better next to a player with more discipline.

It should be Otamendi providing the discipline as the senior defender, not the other way round. If Otamendi needs someone to babysit him at 29 years of age that's a major problem.

see @Rolee and @domalino responses. I also think Stones is suffering with a lack of confidence. The last thing he needs is to be playing with that ****.

He did tackle and he did head the ball. Numerous times. Do people actually watch our games or just shut their eyes and moan for ninety minutes? He also played some superb forward passes. He had a very good game outside of the Falcao goal. A very good game.

As has been said on here already, that's what Falcao does and has been doing to the highest quality defenders for his entire career. He uses his strength and relatively low centre of gravity in a similar way to Aguero. If it was anyone other than John Stones we would be hearing nothing but praise for Falcao.

I think you're wrong here tugay. Whoscored has it at 0 tackles and 0 duels for john and 6/5 for nico. It's time stamped so I fast forwarded the game and took a look at all of nico's wins and I never saw john doing anything nor do I remember it happening when I watched it live.

***Edit. Actually they had it wrong. He did make an important tackle at the 80th. You're correct.

Last edited:
I think you're wrong here tugay. Whoscored has it at 0 tackles and 0 duels for john and 6/5 for nico. It's time stamped so I fast forwarded the game and took a look at all of nico's wins and I never saw john doing anything nor do I remember it happening when I watched it live.

On the Otamendi thread I've directed you to exactly where Stones made a tackle yet you still claim he didn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.