Nicolas Otamendi - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mate, getting confused here, what incident are you referring to here?

I had to walk the dog and just got back. I was talking about the play that led up to stones making the tackle at 80:38. I totally misconstrued your post. I thought you were calling that lost dual a blunder and maybe got a tad bit defensive :)

I had to walk the dog and just got back. I was talking about the play that led up to stones making the tackle at 80:38. I totally misconstrued your post. I thought you were calling that lost dual a blunder and maybe got a tad bit defensive :)

Ah I see. No worries pal, I didn't think you got overly defensive anyway.

He makes so many tackles, blocks, clearances, headers and interceptions. A frankly ridiculous amount. If he wasn't there over the course of the season we would miss him.

Correct, won the ball with pace and power and it started the build up for the 5th goal.
Wrong. He blocked Falcao from continuing hos movement, Falcao then turned around and made a bad pass Sterling intercepted. So it would count as a pressure stat for Stones, but not a tackle.

Wrong. He blocked Falcao from continuing hos movement, Falcao then turned around and made a bad pass Sterling intercepted. So it would count as a pressure stat for Stones, but not a tackle.

Not the incident that's being referred to Dax. Stones won the ball with a tackle ( 80 mins 30 secs or thereabouts ),carried the ball up the line and then passed to Sané who was subsequently fouled. It was from the resulting free kick that the move for the fifth goal was constructed.

He makes so many tackles, blocks, clearances, headers and interceptions. A frankly ridiculous amount. If he wasn't there over the course of the season we would miss him.
Its strange how this is ignored constantly. Someone argued he kept Falcao onside for the first goal.

Its a stranhe reading some of the opinions here. Coz people will say things without context. That he kept Falcao inside wasn't an error, it was simply brilliant attacking by Falcao.

Watch the video, Falcao was simply he'll bent on hanging on the back of whoever was the last defender. Otamendi's movement in that sequence was justifiable. He left Silva to join the line, ball goes out to Fabihno at that point Mbappe takes a step left Ted's the goal, and Ota corectly drops one step and to the left so he could be in line to challenge a pass to Mbappe. At that moment the cross goes in to a predatorically positioned Falcao.

Strangely, I've seen no blaming of Stones or Sagna, 2 guys who had 1 guy to defend. Yet somehow it has come up multiple times that the goal was however Otamendi's fault.

Originally for leaving Silva and then subsequently for keeping Falcao onside. I find these types of views (I.e views that ignore the most guilty culprit in favor of someone tangentially involved) to be nothing bit a clear show of bias.

It will be the equivalent of me blaming the defender who let the cross get through when Ota gave away the penalty. Its ridiculous reasoning.

Time and time again, fans who have concluded they don't like this guy, overemphasis his errors and underemphasis his contributions and then conclude I'm clueless for stating both should be viewed equally.

Like I have maintained, he has a decent game. I've watched it 3 times now, and he looked as good or better with every viewing.

Not the incident that's being referred to Dax. Stones won the ball with a tackle ( 80 mins 30 secs or thereabouts ),carried the ball up the line and then passed to Sané wh
Not the incident that's being referred to Dax. Stones won the ball with a tackle ( 80 mins 30 secs or thereabouts ),carried the ball up the line and then passed to Sané who was subsequently fouled. It was from the resulting free kick that the move for the fifth goal was constructed.
My bad

80.45 a ball is flicked on by Falcao with Otamendi floundering again in no mans land to Germain, Stones tracks his run as Germain is in possession and I quote "a lot more sure with his challenge this time".
Ball to Sané, foul. City score on the next passage of play from the resulting free kick.

Ironically it's the type of covering Otamendi should have offered Stones for the Falcao goal. Yet more poor play that there's no stat for.
Re watch the Falcao second, use all the stats you need, explain to me where the fuck Otamendi is and why he's near 60 yards away from his centre back partner.

Its strange how this is ignored constantly. Someone argued he kept Falcao onside for the first goal.

Its a stranhe reading some of the opinions here. Coz people will say things without context. That he kept Falcao inside wasn't an error, it was simply brilliant attacking by Falcao.

Watch the video, Falcao was simply he'll bent on hanging on the back of whoever was the last defender. Otamendi's movement in that sequence was justifiable. He left Silva to join the line, ball goes out to Fabihno at that point Mbappe takes a step left Ted's the goal, and Ota corectly drops one step and to the left so he could be in line to challenge a pass to Mbappe. At that moment the cross goes in to a predatorically positioned Falcao.

Strangely, I've seen no blaming of Stones or Sagna, 2 guys who had 1 guy to defend. Yet somehow it has come up multiple times that the goal was however Otamendi's fault.

Originally for leaving Silva and then subsequently for keeping Falcao onside. I find these types of views (I.e views that ignore the most guilty culprit in favor of someone tangentially involved) to be nothing bit a clear show of bias.

It will be the equivalent of me blaming the defender who let the cross get through when Ota gave away the penalty. Its ridiculous reasoning.

Time and time again, fans who have concluded they don't like this guy, overemphasis his errors and underemphasis his contributions and then conclude I'm clueless for stating both should be viewed equally.

Like I have maintained, he has a decent game. I've watched it 3 times now, and he looked as good or better with every viewing.

It was Caballero's fault however had Otamendi recognised where the line was, on the 18 yard line to make it easy for him, then he wouldn't have played Falcao onside. There was no need for Otamendi too drop as deep into the penalty area as he did.

It was Caballero's fault however had Otamendi recognised where the line was, on the 18 yard line to make it easy for him, then he wouldn't have played Falcao onside. There was no need for Otamendi too drop as deep into the penalty area as he did.
Watch Mbappe's movements. Thsts what OTA was tracking. Stones was trying hard to keep a line but no one else was.

The question then becomes in what scenario is holding the line advantageous and when is it detrimental and probably best to man up and address the danger instead. I think these are arguments and positions folks can disagree on.

I have seen defenders on the opposite side of where the ball is located with no defensive engagegement of their own, keep a player on side. Clichy a few times Kolarov a lot and Ota on some occasions too...

But when a player is engaging an actual threat and reacts to that threat, this for me negates culpability. He is backing Stones thus can't see where Stones is trying to form the imaginary line. And he is keeping the ball and his mark both in front o him. This is generally good good defending practice. See the ball and see your responsibility.

Mbappe taking a quick left step forced him to step back to keep both Mpabbe and the ball in his line of vision. This is a sound defending practice.

The problems with these discussions is that often they are outcome dependent. I.e. the conclusion that you have acted incorrectly is arrived at because of the result that ensued.

This is erroneous. Good decisions in football so not guarantee that you'd never encounter a bad result, but rather it purports that if you practice the right things, your positive results will consistently outperform the negative ones.

If you read my original post on his performance, you'd see I pointed out he had some bad moves and lots of good ones. So overall I thought him decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.