First job,first wage.

city2

I started as a apprentice electrician and my wage was £4-2s-4p for a 40hr week. Use to catch the 101 bus from wythenshawe into Manchester at 7am, I worked for a small electrical firm in Lever street and it was called M W Williams.

My first job was at a factory next to the brewery in moss side using a fly press. Was getting paid 1 pound an hour. I say getting paid, I didn't get paid at all because I told the bloke in charge of me to fuck off and walked out on the second morning. Think the firm was called Howells electronics.

My 1st job was as an apprentice printer. My first wage was £4/16s/4d. I gave my mum £2 of that for my board.

First proper job was in 1977 as a trainee accountant and I got £1700 per annum, which is about £32 a week. I was never going to make it as an accountant but some great people worked there and we had some laughs.

Last edited:
Shopping Giant, shelf stacker. Don't know the wage, slept since then! Paid weekly cash in a brown envelope (sounds like a familiar method of payment that lives on to this day in other professions)

Apprentice Engineer Thomas Story's Portwood £12.50 a week. £2.00 to Mum pound a week for bus fare the rest was mine. Mind you season ticket was only £11 if I remember correct.

1977. Age 16. Trainee draughtsman BDP Architects.Mcr....£19 p/w. cash.
Spent my first Friday aft full of bitter, sat on a strippers chair...forget the pub.

Apprentice upholsterer £30 a week.
Sounds like a cushy number.

I washed out barrels of ink for £2 an hour. Loved the smell of it but it might have brained my damage. Also got electrocuted and didn't twig for about ten years, but that's another story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.