City v Stoke (Semi-final FA Youth cup 2nd leg)

You might say that now, but you can't have had that opinion of Barker back in 2014/15 when he was constantly a threat. He'd manage to take players on the outside and get a cross in, and he also wasn't afraid to shoot and had an excellent shot on him, whether cutting inside or running around the full back and then opening his body to shoot across goal. You don't need many tricks if you can throw a step over, knock the ball past the opposing defender and run onto it.

I remember Barker being excellent when we beat Schalke 5-1. We then got them in the Youth CL knockouts and I thought we'd turn them over again. We dominated but they had one player that really impressed me throughout, he was similar to Barker in his ability to get on the ball and drive forward. At that stage I'd have put them pretty much neck and neck for talent - Barker possibly being better in my opinion (granted I'd seen Sane once). Barker then stalled, whether his own issues or the fact the club didn't give him a chance when he was in such fine form. Sane on the other hand got opportunities and then commanded a huge transfer fee and is excellent.

It's not black and white at youth level. Some young players take years to develop. Attitude, commitment, maturity, physicality all come into it. You get players like Rooney who are just ready when they're 16. That's rare. Foden, Diaz, Sancho and Smith look absolutely brilliant and need to be involved with the first team to really push on. Garcia looks class though and for me is still not getting enough game time. I see very little reason as to why he can't be a first team player, or in that first 11 when we need a DM. He is a Pep player, excellent on the ball, great range of passing and a footballing intelligence.

We need a clear out this summer. From the first team, from the EDS (and those on loan) and we need to be thinking a) who from the academy can in this moment contribute to our first team squad and; b) who from the academy could do in a year or two years or more. Our academy is working well, the top U18s are playing in the ages above to get more experience and to get used to the physicality. The main obstacles are players like Clichy, Sagna, Delph, Fernando and we need to be cut throat and get rid.

I would like to see Pep promote 4-5 academy players this summer and then buy some more experienced players to compliment them. Garcia and a new DM. Maffeo and a new RB for example. Diaz, Sancho, Foden etc might be okay with another season in the academy, at EDS level, but they should be involved in more first team squads next season to then step up. Jesus/Aguero, Sancho/Sane, Sterling/Roberts, Silva/Foden, De Bruyne/Diaz. It's a squad I'd love to see given a chance! I might be dreaming though but if one or two can make it then that's great - they just need a chance.

Excellent post.
I really hope some of the class of 2017 make the grade we certainly have some real prospects. However, a word of caution, it will not be easy for these guys to make the breakthrough. Stop for one moment and look at the task they are faced with. Every summer City spend 100-150 million on new established talent and that is unlikely to stop any time soon. Some people bemoan the quality of some of these purchases but they are in the main established international class players. Pep has seen these guys training and reckons publicly at least that they have a chance of making the grade. But they have to convince him they can do a job and then go out and do it. This not an easy task for 16/17 year old's who are replacing some guy who cost 20 plus million and is an established international.
Hands on heart. If you were manager of City and your job could depend on it would you bring in one of these kids lets say for the Cup Semi final? Because that is the only way you would find out if they are really ready yet. Garcia has made a few starts this season but do you think Pep will risk playing him on Wed against Monaco? How many games do City play each season that a win is not vital? The pressure on these young lads would be intense. Lets just hope that the 3 or 4 names most often mentioned from the current group mature over the next few years and get a chance to prove they are international class because that is what is required to get into the City squad these days.

Does anyone know where this is being televised? Is it on City's Facebook page or on ITV4? Just checked TV listings and it's got Anglo-Welsh cup on at 7.

Surely one of Pep's reasons for joining us is the academy and therefore plenty will get their chance over the next 2 or 3 years. The fact we let down so many youngsters in the past doesn't mean we will continue to do so.

Yep, yep. United got use out of Luke fucking Chadwick for crying out loud. They made him a decent impact pace player from the bench for a while before he inevitably drifted down to MK Dons. He even played in the Champions League. If you asked Fergie if he'd still have given him those games knowing he'd up at MK Dons he'd have still said yes, cos he was useful in that moment. That is literally the point in using academy kids. They give you a spark no 31 year old squad winger can who hasn't played a game for three months. They may end up crap, and no harm is done, but they also may end up great. They're definitely not gonna end up great if they don't get played.

It also raises the crowd.

For decades, one of the big 'crowd pleasers' at City, was a kid coming off the bench or even starting. Some did fuck all but many did something, ranging from very good, to fantastic. It doesn't mean they make it, either way. But on so many occasions it was the kid, who changed the team/crowd, & it's mostly for the better. Even Joey Barton gave us positives.

We even saw that with Celina. Came on banged some crosses in, got an assist. Then gone.

You might say that now, but you can't have had that opinion of Barker back in 2014/15 when he was constantly a threat. He'd manage to take players on the outside and get a cross in, and he also wasn't afraid to shoot and had an excellent shot on him, whether cutting inside or running around the full back and then opening his body to shoot across goal. You don't need many tricks if you can throw a step over, knock the ball past the opposing defender and run onto it.

I remember Barker being excellent when we beat Schalke 5-1. We then got them in the Youth CL knockouts and I thought we'd turn them over again. We dominated but they had one player that really impressed me throughout, he was similar to Barker in his ability to get on the ball and drive forward. At that stage I'd have put them pretty much neck and neck for talent - Barker possibly being better in my opinion (granted I'd seen Sane once). Barker then stalled, whether his own issues or the fact the club didn't give him a chance when he was in such fine form. Sane on the other hand got opportunities and then commanded a huge transfer fee and is excellent.

It's not black and white at youth level. Some young players take years to develop. Attitude, commitment, maturity, physicality all come into it. You get players like Rooney who are just ready when they're 16. That's rare. Foden, Diaz, Sancho and Smith look absolutely brilliant and need to be involved with the first team to really push on. Garcia looks class though and for me is still not getting enough game time. I see very little reason as to why he can't be a first team player, or in that first 11 when we need a DM. He is a Pep player, excellent on the ball, great range of passing and a footballing intelligence.

We need a clear out this summer. From the first team, from the EDS (and those on loan) and we need to be thinking a) who from the academy can in this moment contribute to our first team squad and; b) who from the academy could do in a year or two years or more. Our academy is working well, the top U18s are playing in the ages above to get more experience and to get used to the physicality. The main obstacles are players like Clichy, Sagna, Delph, Fernando and we need to be cut throat and get rid.

I would like to see Pep promote 4-5 academy players this summer and then buy some more experienced players to compliment them. Garcia and a new DM. Maffeo and a new RB for example. Diaz, Sancho, Foden etc might be okay with another season in the academy, at EDS level, but they should be involved in more first team squads next season to then step up. Jesus/Aguero, Sancho/Sane, Sterling/Roberts, Silva/Foden, De Bruyne/Diaz. It's a squad I'd love to see given a chance! I might be dreaming though but if one or two can make it then that's great - they just need a chance.

I couldn't agree more re Barker/Sané. We could all see the ability in Sané but he wasn't the best player we saw that season.

Pep has had a difficult introduction to City due to international football & has had to run before he can walk, with the senior team.

I'm very hopeful we will see a major improvement in the other side, starting next season.

But, I was convinced Pellegrini was about to do that, as he went through the motions of being Mr Academy when he first arrived. I recon he's a con artist though & Pep is the real deal, so we'll see.

If Pep can just give it an extra couple of years, rather than stopping at 3, I think we can see an amazing young team with a strong 'home grown' feel, to back up the young superstars we have signed. It really is such an exciting time. I don't think we have scratched the surface of how good it can be.

Kevin Kilbane was on Irish radio last night absolutely raving about the U18s. He has seen them a few times and was at the Stoke game on Friday (he is best mates with Lee Carsley). Mentioned Foden and Diaz but not for the first time he picked out the keeper Muric. Reckons he is the best young keeper he has ever seen. Said he is already better than Cabelero and Bravo. Described him as having the build of Courtois, the shot stoping ability of De Gea and the feet of Manuel Neuer. I have only seen glimpses of him. Is he as good as Kilbane says and ready for the first team as early as next season?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.