Shooting outside the House of Commons

I was thinking about this yesterday and about how only five people have died (so far, at least).

Now, before anyone jumps on me - yes, five people is still five too many. But in the context of terror attacks that is still a very low number, especially when you also factor in that, Lee Rigby aside (which would've been classed as a one-on-one homicide had the assailant not been a muslim), this is the first attack in nearly 12 years.
Excluding the perpetrators, 52 people died in the 2005 7/7 bombings, plus Lee Rigby, Jo Cox (if you class that as terrorism as some do) and the 4 in the latest incident. That's 55 or 56 in 12 years.

Of course that's 56 too many but over the same period over 1,000 women will have been murdered by abusive partners or ex-partners. Over 70,000 people will have killed themselves, many of those having mental health issues. Probably double that number of babies will have died purely as a result of medical negligence before or at the time of delivery. Etc. Yet we don't get days of shock-horror reporting about these along with demands to do something. Why?

Excluding the perpetrators, 52 people died in the 2005 7/7 bombings, plus Lee Rigby, Jo Cox (if you class that as terrorism as some do) and the 4 in the latest incident. That's 55 or 56 in 12 years.

Of course that's 56 too many but over the same period over 1,000 women will have been murdered by abusive partners or ex-partners. Over 70,000 people will have killed themselves, many of those having mental health issues. Probably double that number of babies will have died purely as a result of medical negligence before or at the time of delivery. Etc. Yet we don't get days of shock-horror reporting about these along with demands to do something. Why?

A single act of violence against an individual or harm due to accident/negligence/suicide will directly affect a handful of people at most. A single act of terrorism can be a life changing event for a whole load of people. My mum still has nightmares from the IRA bombing in Warrington over 20 years ago.

I was thinking about this yesterday and about how only five people have died (so far, at least).

Now, before anyone jumps on me - yes, five people is still five too many. But in the context of terror attacks that is still a very low number, especially when you also factor in that, Lee Rigby aside (which would've been classed as a one-on-one homicide had the assailant not been a muslim), this is the first attack in nearly 12 years.

IRA bombings in mainland UK were much more frequent (although at least they came with a warning). In Turkey, terrorist attacks (be it by the PKK in the past or IS today) usually claim in the region of 20-30 victims, and occur around twice a year. In Pakistan you're looking at around 50 victims in a similarly regular basis. In Iraq, the number and frequency is staggeringly high. Indonesia and Nigeria also suffer regular attacks but they aren't reported as much.

And yet if you were to believe the news media and the politicians in the last two days you'd think that we had suffered a major attack and that we are facing a huge and unique threat. Of course there are many planned attacks that get foiled (I think an intelligence expert interviewed yesterday said around four per year) but if anything that just goes to show how prepared we are and how capable we are at fighting terrorism.

But the truth about our security doesn't fit the fear narrative. I've had a couple of friends tell me they're too scared to go to the England game, forgetting that they are far more likely to die on their journey down the M1. My girlfriend is Filipino/Canadian and she's had family from both countries texting her to see if she is OK (she lives in Luton!), which just goes to show that the idea that we have just suffered a major catastrophe and are under attack as a nation is spreading beyond these shores, perpetuated by the rent-a-gobs like Katie Hopkins Nigel Farage, and the politicians/civil servants who view this as an opportunity to consolidate their position.

This is not correct. Rigby's killing was most assuredly terrorism and it was not classified as such merely because his attackers were Muslims. His murder told people at the scene he was killed. They even had a 2 page explanation to give to authorities.

Terrorism is violence used to achieve a political, religious, or idealogical goal. To say it was only terrorism because Muslims were involved is either ignorant (not necessarily you just the statement) or intellectually dishonest.

It would have been classed as terrorism if it were the IRA killing him in the name of revenge against the British Army or for that matter, a Catholic priest killing him because the Church of England is the state church and he wanted revenge against the government for making it so.

55 or 56 terrorist victims in 12 years in comparison doesn't seem that many but that number could have been in the many hundreds or greater if it wasn't for the security services.
I don't think they are scaremongering imo, they know it could be worse.

If a group stood at a football match and every so often there was an object thrown from that group and hit someone what would be the correct action for the club & police ?.

Put that group under surveillance ?
Search the people within that group ?
Ban that group from attending future games ?
Split the group up rather than allow it to bunch together ?

All perfectly reasonable steps you would think, I doubt you would have many protests that they are being treated unfairly because the general feeling would be that people within that group knew who the troublemakers were that was spoiling it for everyone.

Then just how, when those groups are defined not on the team they follow, but the colour of their skin or the ideology they claim as a religion, the exact same steps become wrong ?

You have to be a special kind of stupid to celebrate the diversity of the people injured in this atrocity

f52401b7da935f1cecfea3c10b0d6b01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Eaton is the main reason I no longer read the New Statesman after 30 years of subscribing.

There's nothing defeatist about it. This is not a conventional war and it won't be won by conventional means.

100% this.

You can't beat an idea with bombs.

Not without genocide anyway.

The last form of fascism that we had took the destruction of most of Europe, North Africa, India and Asia to kill and even then we still had fascism in numerous places around the globe. And that was against an actual physical enemy. We can't win this war with guns, we can only win it through good intelligence sharing and diplomacy.

The Saudis and Iran could solve this whole problem tomorrow. If there was a will to do so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.