Yes Music - Anderson Rabin Wakeman live in Manchester

Hart of the Matter

An evening of Yes Music next Saturday. Getting great reviews. I will be there. Any other Blues going? This is their last performance before being inducted into the hall of fame as part of Yes even though they cannot call themselves Yes. Confused? You soon will be.

Read an interview with Rick Wakeman a couple of weeks ago, he said "instead of groupies these days we have carers with us, and the drugs are slightly different."

They played the Usher Hall, Edinburgh last night. I have seen Yes numerous times over the last 40+ years and it's always difficult not to compare the various lineups etc. So, thought it was a very good concert with John Anderson flawless vocals despite his 70+ years. He has obviously lived a blameless life because he looks really good, healthy and happy and very much up for a 2 hour 30 min concert. In contrast, For a guy that has been off the booze for a long time Rick looks, well, ravaged, shall we say although his musicality and keyboard prowess are undimmed with age. Oh, and he wears a sparkly cape over an outfit which would be classed as scruffy within potato picking circles. I have to admit to a strong preference for Steve Howe over Trevor Rabin albeit he is obviously a very competent guitar virtuoso. I did miss, Steve's steel guitar and there were some intros that, for me, he mangled a bit. Lee Pomeroi was a very good bass player although I felt he was mixed back a little and the bass lacked the weight of some previous Yes performances. This was the first gig I had seen without Chris Squire RIP, and his presence was missed. Highlights of the concert for me were the set pieces. Heart of the Sunrise and Awaken stood out and each received standing ovations. At times the band lacked a little dynamism but when they were good they were really very good. Thought the playlist was good and varied picking from all periods of the Yes song list. John even through in a version of Sunshine of your Love. Whilst Rick drew the line at crowd surfing, he and Rabin did an extended portable keyboard, guitar solo whilst walking up and down the aisles of the hall which was a nice touch and made for some interesting photo opportunities. So in conclusion, if you like Yes, you will really enjoy the concert. Brilliant to see John again, maybe for the last time given his age. He has given me such pleasure throughout my adult life, it was great to get a chance to wave goodbye. For those going to the Manchester concert, have a brilliant night.

They played the Usher Hall, Edinburgh last night. I have seen Yes numerous times over the last 40+ years and it's always difficult not to compare the various lineups etc. So, thought it was a very good concert with John Anderson flawless vocals despite his 70+ years. He has obviously lived a blameless life because he looks really good, healthy and happy and very much up for a 2 hour 30 min concert. In contrast, For a guy that has been off the booze for a long time Rick looks, well, ravaged, shall we say although his musicality and keyboard prowess are undimmed with age. Oh, and he wears a sparkly cape over an outfit which would be classed as scruffy within potato picking circles. I have to admit to a strong preference for Steve Howe over Trevor Rabin albeit he is obviously a very competent guitar virtuoso. I did miss, Steve's steel guitar and there were some intros that, for me, he mangled a bit. Lee Pomeroi was a very good bass player although I felt he was mixed back a little and the bass lacked the weight of some previous Yes performances. This was the first gig I had seen without Chris Squire RIP, and his presence was missed. Highlights of the concert for me were the set pieces. Heart of the Sunrise and Awaken stood out and each received standing ovations. At times the band lacked a little dynamism but when they were good they were really very good. Thought the playlist was good and varied picking from all periods of the Yes song list. John even through in a version of Sunshine of your Love. Whilst Rick drew the line at crowd surfing, he and Rabin did an extended portable keyboard, guitar solo whilst walking up and down the aisles of the hall which was a nice touch and made for some interesting photo opportunities. So in conclusion, if you like Yes, you will really enjoy the concert. Brilliant to see John again, maybe for the last time given his age. He has given me such pleasure throughout my adult life, it was great to get a chance to wave goodbye. For those going to the Manchester concert, have a brilliant night.
A very fine review, calling Taximania.

Thanks blue. This music has a special place in my heart. Awaken is music that moves me to tears live. I am glad you say it is a highlight. I like both Howe and Rabin so the issue is a mute one for me. I have seen the setlist which has hardly varied from the American leg of the tour. Disappointing. They have recorded some new material together. Would have been great to hear some. The lack of starship trouper(they did it on the first night of their tour) is also a miss but cannot complain about what is included. Probably the last time to see Anderson perform Yes music, bring it on!!!

Thanks blue. This music has a special place in my heart. Awaken is music that moves me to tears live. I am glad you say it is a highlight. I like both Howe and Rabin so the issue is a mute one for me. I have seen the setlist which has hardly varied from the American leg of the tour. Disappointing. They have recorded some new material together. Would have been great to hear some. The lack of starship trouper(they did it on the first night of their tour) is also a miss but cannot complain about what is included. Probably the last time to see Anderson perform Yes music, bring it on!!!

I think there was one new song, afraid don't know what it was called. Awaken was magical, probably the finest version I have heard live. Let me know what you think.

I saw them last Sunday at Hammersmith along with three friends and we all thought they gave an excellent musical performance. We were clearly not alone because the ovations that followed many of the songs were something else, rarely have I heard so much extended applause.

Obviously, they aren't young men anymore so you are not going get a performance like the first Yes gig I saw in 1977 (latecomer, I know) but this was a very accomplished performance. The guitar, keyboard duel was great fun. I'm a big Rabin fan, bought his first solo album back in 1978 and even went to a Steve Hillage gig around that time just to see Rabin in support slot, so not bothered whether it is him or Howe on guitar (or both as was once the case) but they do have different styles.

I can confirm that Awaken was bloody awesome.

Anyhoo, ARW are more Yes than the band that calls itself Yes and well worth seeing if you are a Yes fan.

I'm sure they will return to promote their new album and I expect I hope to go and see them again.

I saw them last Sunday at Hammersmith along with three friends and we all thought they gave an excellent musical performance. We were clearly not alone because the ovations that followed many of the songs were something else, rarely have I heard so much extended applause.

Obviously, they aren't young men anymore so you are not going get a performance like the first Yes gig I saw in 1977 (latecomer, I know) but this was a very accomplished performance. The guitar, keyboard duel was great fun. I'm a big Rabin fan, bought his first solo album back in 1978 and even went to a Steve Hillage gig around that time just to see Rabin in support slot, so not bothered whether it is him or Howe on guitar (or both as was once the case) but they do have different styles.

I can confirm that Awaken was bloody awesome.

Anyhoo, ARW are more Yes than the band that calls itself Yes and well worth seeing if you are a Yes fan.

I'm sure they will return to promote their new album and I expect I hope to go and see them again.

I never understood the idea of Yes without Anderson. Squire's loss was bad enough but to me, No Jon Anderson.... No Yes. He is the most dinstinctive singer in rock history. You just don't replace him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.