Bluemoon Fitness Thread

After weighing in around 10'6 last summer I'm now up to 12'2. Started from scratch and my muscle memory kicked in pretty well.

Hit 160kg on squats on Friday which I was dead chuffed with but my Deadlifts lag behind by about 20kg which pisses me off.

Can bench 100kg for a rep max (not tried higher) but at 90kg at the moment for maximum on sets.

I think my genes and plateaus are kicking in as it marginal and unseenly improvements for the last month or so.
Is the 160 and 140 for 1 rep max or reps?

Is the 160 and 140 for 1 rep max or reps?

Reps. I started by using stronglifts 5x5 which meant squatting was 3x a week though at the heavy weight I can't manage that now. I'm being more strict with my deads now and upping 5kg a week or so and making sure I don't miss them.

Reps. I started by using stronglifts 5x5 which meant squatting was 3x a week though at the heavy weight I can't manage that now. I'm being more strict with my deads now and upping 5kg a week or so and making sure I don't miss them.
My mate has just started stronglifts. I've never used it but heard good reviews.
Our lifts are fairly similar. You are a little ahead of me on squats if you are doing that weight for 5 reps and a little behind me for deads.

My mate has just started stronglifts. I've never used it but heard good reviews.
Our lifts are fairly similar. You are a little ahead of me on squats if you are doing that weight for 5 reps and a little behind me for deads.

It's best used as a start out. Builds up strength and form very effectively but I'm looking at moving on to something a bit different such as that German big lifts kind of routine.

I had some right chicken legs haha so my biggest motivation was to stick some strength and timber on my legs to build a stronger foundation. Worked well and it's just one aspect of keeping fit as opposed to focussing all my energy on lifting since new year.

I certainly feel I need to alter it up from this plateau.

Tonight was the start of week 5 for me, I started it in the new year and I must say I'm really enjoying it. I started the programme as a beginner over advanced as I've never really been into my weights, in the past I was more of a cardio man myself.

I've now got to the stage that I'm feeling it work my muscle groups, a very basic but effect programme for any gym goer, new or old.

It's best used as a start out. Builds up strength and form very effectively but I'm looking at moving on to something a bit different such as that German big lifts kind of routine.

I had some right chicken legs haha so my biggest motivation was to stick some strength and timber on my legs to build a stronger foundation. Worked well and it's just one aspect of keeping fit as opposed to focussing all my energy on lifting since new year.

I certainly feel I need to alter it up from this plateau.
Have a look at the routine I put on the previous page. I think it is great. You get in strength training and hypertrophy during the same workout. Sessions take a little longer than I would like but other than that I think it is pretty perfect (for me)

Have a look at the routine I put on the previous page. I think it is great. You get in strength training and hypertrophy during the same workout. Sessions take a little longer than I would like but other than that I think it is pretty perfect (for me)

I regularly spend over an hour at a reasonably comfortable pace in the gym, I'll take a look thanks!

Also with coming to your strength max, drop a few reps off the set but add 2.5kg. If you can manage it, next session put in a couple more reps for a fuller set then next week add 2.5kg more and repeat would be my advice. That's what I tend to try to push through!

Last bit of advice I'd offer (i find it works for me) I'd avoid calf isolation exercises and squat machines such as the smiths machine. Anything on big lifts that is guided doesn't allow core and natural movements (ones you probably won't recognise) are more likely to cause injury as you don't allow all the muscles to utilise and move naturally.

Secondly, (coming from someone who had chicken calves and they're alright now) the best thing for calf building is constant added weight. Intense, heavy weight isolation once a week or so isn't enough. Calves are slow twitch designed for endurance due to our need to walk long distances. Add a little weight or a weighted backpack to your walks and heavy lifts in general regularly will target your calves naturally (squats, deadlifts, rows etc). Not sure if that's a problem at all just how you mentioned blowing your calf out!

Just an update on my trap bar, just done my first session with it today, did A bit with my barbell then tried out the trap bar and was very impressed. Much easier on the lower back and grip and easier technically as well.

My lad was with me and he hadn't done deadlifts before and we had to adjust quite a bit on the barbell but with the trap bar no problems, he does squats and said he wishes his gym had one.

I started with a trap bar in early Jan and it was great to switch things up. I follow it up with some rack pulls and have seen really good results from it.

I regularly spend over an hour at a reasonably comfortable pace in the gym, I'll take a look thanks!

Also with coming to your strength max, drop a few reps off the set but add 2.5kg. If you can manage it, next session put in a couple more reps for a fuller set then next week add 2.5kg more and repeat would be my advice. That's what I tend to try to push through!

Last bit of advice I'd offer (i find it works for me) I'd avoid calf isolation exercises and squat machines such as the smiths machine. Anything on big lifts that is guided doesn't allow core and natural movements (ones you probably won't recognise) are more likely to cause injury as you don't allow all the muscles to utilise and move naturally.

Secondly, (coming from someone who had chicken calves and they're alright now) the best thing for calf building is constant added weight. Intense, heavy weight isolation once a week or so isn't enough. Calves are slow twitch designed for endurance due to our need to walk long distances. Add a little weight or a weighted backpack to your walks and heavy lifts in general regularly will target your calves naturally (squats, deadlifts, rows etc). Not sure if that's a problem at all just how you mentioned blowing your calf out!
I don't use the Smith for squats. I do use if for calf isolation exercises along with the leg press for calves. My calves haven't blown out - I am just being careless when using the equipment. The calf muscles themselves are fine.
Will give the dropping reps a go when I start to fail on the big lifts, which I think will be this week or next week.
Got through my Deadlifts today adding on another 2.5k so did 3x5 @ 152.5. Will get to 155 next week I think but will struggle to complete reps any more than that.
Think I will be able to test my 1 rep max soon for the big 3 and add a little to them all which should get me close to the 1000lb club.

Beautiful day out there today and perfect for running. Just managed my first 10k in about 9 months in just over 55 minutes. Feels great to be back running and losing a bit of timber. Can't beat those first few days of spring when we get some nice weather.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.