Full Backs?

I'd take both Southampton full backs over the two Spurs full backs. You could probably by the two of them for the price of Rose alone. Cedric is really good on the ball and has a lot of pace. Bertrand is solid as well.
This. You can add Clynn, Belerin to the list of fullbacks i'll prefer in England to those 2 at Spurs..

But back to left backs, I pretty much agree with @Akiva on the LBs that fit the profile.
Bernat, Grimaldo, Marcal, and Emerson. Any one of those 4 will be significantly better than Rose. And all at a lower and sometimes fraction of the cost.

I like Rose, I think he's a good player who'd fit into our system pretty well and he's homegrown which is always a bonus.

Is he value for money at £40/50m? No
Are there better left-backs out there? For sure
Would I be upset if Rose was the LB we signed? Not at all.

We need two Fullbacks on both wings - one top notch and one very good (or youth talent) to rotate (say 60%/40%) as the modern fullback has to put in a real shift and simply has to be rotated with another to keep up the required level of skill and fitness. Pep's need for them to help out in central defensive midfield means they will burn out otherwise.

I've seen enough to know Maffeo can be at least our 2nd right fullback. The question is who will be the other 1?
Fabinho (from Monaco) is absolute quality and I'd be happy to see him on our right - Indeed I was extremely disappointed we didn't do the deal last summer. Hector Bellerín would be my other choice as the number 1 right fullback - he is proven quality and currently just about Arsenal's best player.
City do also seem interested in Celtic Soares at Southampton to be right back but this is probably an option instead of Maffeo - which would be a shame as Maffeo was tremendous against Utd in the League Cup but for some reason never got another chance!

Left back is a big issue for every club in the world right now. The best are past their peak and there really are not any truly outstanding up and coming talents except one (more later).
Danny Rose from Spurs good option as a left back as he is great going forward though there is a slight question mark over his defending - indeed he has made a number of mistakes in high profile Spurs games. Also, he will be incredibly expensive as Spurs will milk us dry to buy him. Perhaps a cheeky bid for Luke Shaw would do the job? he certainly has the talent - but does he have the desire?
My main choice, however, would be 20 year old Lucas Hernandez from Atletico Madrid. He can play left back and centre half and would be the ideal player for Pep to swap formations between 4 and 3 at the back. I'd actually totally break the bank to get this lad as he is clearly world class and will be one if the best in the world for years to come.
Then again all I know is so long as it's not Clichy (good service but struggling for pace now) or Kolarov (except in a dire emergency) I don't really mind.

Last edited:
We need two Fullbacks on both wings - one top notch and one very good (or youth talent) to rotate (say 60%/40%) as the modern fullback has to put in a real shift and simply has to be rotated with another to keep up the required level of skill and fitness. Pep's need for them to help out in central defensive midfield means they will burn out otherwise.

I've seen enough to know Maffeo can be at least our 2nd right fullback. The question is who will be the other 1?
Fabinho (from Monaco) is absolute quality and I'd be happy to see him on our right - Indeed I was extremely disappointed we didn't do the deal last summer. Hector Bellerín would be my other choice as the number 1 right fullback - he is proven quality and currently just about Arsenal's best player.
City do also seem interested in Celtic Soares at Southampton to be right back but this is probably an option instead of Maffeo - which would be a shame as Maffeo was tremendous against Utd in the League Cup but for some reason never got another chance!

Left back is a big issue for every club in the world right now. The best are past their peak and there really are not any truly outstanding up and coming talents except one (more later).
Danny Rose from Spurs good option as a left back as he is great going forward though there is a slight question mark over his defending - indeed he has made a number of mistakes in high profile Spurs games. Also, he will be incredibly expensive as Spurs will milk us dry to buy him. Perhaps a cheeky bid for Luke Shaw would do the job? he certainly has the talent - but does he have the desire?
My main choice, however, would be 20 year old Lucas Hernandez from Atletico Madrid. He can play left back and centre half and would be the ideal player for Pep to swap formations between 4 and 3 at the back. I'd actually totally break the bank to get this lad as he is clearly world class and will be one if the best in the world for years to come.
Then again all I know is so long as it's not Clichy (good service but struggling for pace now) or Kolarov (except in a dire emergency) I don't really mind.

I think if we are looking at Cedric, it's definitely for the no.1 spot. He has actually been lowkey one of the best rb's this and last season. He was vital for Portugal in their Euros campaign.

I like Rose, I think he's a good player who'd fit into our system pretty well and he's homegrown which is always a bonus.

Is he value for money at £40/50m? No
Are there better left-backs out there? For sure
Would I be upset if Rose was the LB we signed? Not at all.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Only reason I see us being interested in Rose is HG status with us losing Clichy and very likely Delph in the summer. Two will have to come in and Rose is a HG player that would actually walk into our side unlike most of them.

I think if we are looking at Cedric, it's definitely for the no.1 spot. He has actually been lowkey one of the best rb's this and last season. He was vital for Portugal in their Euros campaign.
But Barcelona are apparently also interested. Which I guess tells you about his quality, or at least the quality of his agent.

Getting heavily likned in Gemany (Bild) with left back Sead Kolasinac from Schalke, but sources in Italy say his agent has come to an agreement with AC Milan.
One of the better left backs out there but as there's a derth of good ones across the continent, along with Atletico Madrid's Lucas Hernandez he has to be an option.

Manchester City remain in a good position to sign Schalke's leftback Sead Kolasinac. [SportBild]

Pretty much my thoughts.

Only reason I see us being interested in Rose is HG status with us losing Clichy and very likely Delph in the summer. Two will have to come in and Rose is a HG player that would actually walk into our side unlike most of them.

Not true. With our youth system and Pep's desire for a small squad we no longer need to fill our English quotient.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.