Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not Messi. Bit its telling that folks don't realize Sterling is currently 2 to 3 steps better than Sane. Sure they play differently and Sane glides and is more pleasing aesthetically. But Sterling is actually the more influential of the 2.

Sterling is currently the best player at City this season. Sane is maybe 5th or 6th at best.

I wouldn't say he is 2 to 3 steps. Sané has had to adapt. He got injured early in the season, received the Pep education, has adapted, and started playing regularly. He's explosive. Has a shot on him, glides past players as you put it and much more. Nonetheless, he still has a lot to work on. Example, He fizzes the ball into the box where he can calmly pass instead.

They are both different types of players. Sterling's positioning is amazing. He doesn't get enough credit for that. Just doesn't have ruthlessness in front of goal. Can be very safe. Loses the ball quite a but when attempting to dribble probably 6/10 attempts. However, his growth has been amazing. Talented young player who can only improve. The player on loan that I think that can challenge his position is Roberts. I know, it's the SPL but he's talented. Takes on players more so than Sterling even though he isn't lightning quick. Has better vision and creativity, in addition to shooting.

Roberts will be like a new signing when everyone is back. He'll probably go through the same thing as Sané bar the injury before he gets game time. Only time will tell. It's all exciting witnessing and watching their plays and growth.

Probably not Messi. Bit its telling that folks don't realize Sterling is currently 2 to 3 steps better than Sane. Sure they play differently and Sane glides and is more pleasing aesthetically. But Sterling is actually the more influential of the 2.

Sterling is currently the best player at City this season. Sane is maybe 5th or 6th at best.
I think most of those not yet seeing it (me included) is because he has gotten into so many promising positions and will often fluff his lines. He needs to be more decisive imo and not overthink things. He has time, let's hope he makes it to the levels some believe he is capable of

I think most of those not yet seeing it (me included) is because he has gotten into so many promising positions and will often fluff his lines. He needs to be more decisive imo and not overthink things. He has time, let's hope he makes it to the levels some believe he is capable of

I must've said somewhere that one of his biggest assets is his positioning. Too many times he's in a good position where he can be played in but the ball is passed back. However, you're right on that he does need to be decisive. Monaco game when he was through on goal. Should've gone for the goal himself rather than half-heartedly passing it to Aguero.

To be fair he often has no right to get into those positions, it's his awareness and pace that gets him there that very few others have in their locker.

He'll never be a Messi as someone claimed earlier as he's not a natural finisher, that can't be coached, you either have it or you don't although you can be coached to reach a sufficient level.

I think some people tend to only notice when he messes up and don't see the brilliant things he does.

As for our best player this season, he's definitely in the conversation, he effects games, he forces the issue with his positive running, there's been a number of games that it's been his contribution that has made the difference, for example Hull away, Arsenal at home.

His numbers back it up too, don't understand why the PL don't credit a player winning a penalty as providing an assist, a free unchallenged shot from twelve yards is as good an assist as you can provide. Think how many penalties he's been denied too, for example Everton, that game completely changes if he's given the penalty he should've got, that would be his contribution again effecting the outcome, the Spurs game, need I say more.

He frustrates me too with his lack of confidence in front of goal but when the rest of his contribution is factored in I can see we have a gem.

To be fair he often has no right to get into those positions, it's his awareness and pace that gets him there that very few others have in their locker.

He'll never be a Messi as someone claimed earlier as he's not a natural finisher, that can't be coached, you either have it or you don't although you can be coached to reach a sufficient level.

I think some people tend to only notice when he messes up and don't see the brilliant things he does.

As for our best player this season, he's definitely in the conversation, he effects games, he forces the issue with his positive running, there's been a number of games that it's been his contribution that has made the difference, for example Hull away, Arsenal at home.

His numbers back it up too, don't understand why the PL don't credit a player winning a penalty as providing an assist, a free unchallenged shot from twelve yards is as good an assist as you can provide. Think how many penalties he's been denied too, for example Everton, that game completely changes if he's given the penalty he should've got, that would be his contribution again effecting the outcome, the Spurs game, need I say more.

He frustrates me too with his lack of confidence in front of goal but when the rest of his contribution is factored in I can see we have a gem.

The thing with his shooting is that it can be coached. We're not looking for him to have the innate ability to bang it in from 30-40 yards or curl it in from the outside of the box. We just need him to have more composure when 5-10 yards out. The number of times I've seen him mishit the ball or mistime his shot when a decent connection results in a goal is significantly higher than it should be for a professional footballer.

I don't buy into this "it can't be taught" statement when it comes to the issue with Sterling.

Firstly, let me state that I rate him hugely. His development has been outstanding under Pep and he's thrived from a manager telling him not to worry about losing the ball, just fight to win it back when you do - but not to let that fear change your natural game and sterilise your attributes. It's a great thing to say to a young player like Sterling and gives him huge confidence.

His assist for Defoe on Sunday was brilliant. Yes it was poor defending and only Lithuania but the fact is that very few other English players have the ability to do what he did. It wasn't just the pace, it was the strength to hold off the defender and the confidence to exploit that space. Last summer in the Euros, Sterling would have looked to pass the ball rather than make that move because his confidence was rock bottom.

His mentality is incredible. He was thrown under the bus by Rodgers, who allowed the public into his contractual situation and turned Anfield on his back. That then led to him being booed when playing for England time and time again and being publicly bashed for just about everything he did. He couldn't even buy him Mum a house!

Now he's a huge loss to City whenever he's out of the side because as people have rightly commented, his positioning is incredible. His movement off the ball is fantastic and he's a new player. He'll get better at finishing. I know City spend a lot of time practising the whipped ball in from wide positions and finishing the move off. I think it's just a case of spending time in training practising that over and over.

I remember Aaron Ramsey suddenly scoring for fun a few seasons back and he said it just came from someone saying to him in training he had much more time than he thought. To take a breath, to relax, to stay composed and to pick his spot. I’m sure we’ve all had it when playing ourselves, you get played through on goal and the adrenalin pumps and you snatch at the ball and blaze it over when it’s easier to score. I think it’s the same thing with Sterling, he just rushes things. On the flip side, his goal against West Ham at home earlier in the season was hugely composed and incredibly difficult to finish so he’s got the ability.

He probably could have had three or four more this season but he’s on an upward trajectory and that’s the main thing. Sometimes he passes when he shoots and vice versa. It’s a split second decision and I think Pep’s very much behind the idea of drawing the keeper out and passing to a team mate because I’ve seen Aguero do it at times when he would never in a million years do that in seasons gone by.

I wouldn't say he is 2 to 3 steps. Sané has had to adapt. He got injured early in the season, received the Pep education, has adapted, and started playing regularly. He's explosive. Has a shot on him, glides past players as you put it and much more. Nonetheless, he still has a lot to work on. Example, He fizzes the ball into the box where he can calmly pass instead.

They are both different types of players. Sterling's positioning is amazing. He doesn't get enough credit for that. Just doesn't have ruthlessness in front of goal. Can be very safe. Loses the ball quite a but when attempting to dribble probably 6/10 attempts. However, his growth has been amazing. Talented young player who can only improve. The player on loan that I think that can challenge his position is Roberts. I know, it's the SPL but he's talented. Takes on players more so than Sterling even though he isn't lightning quick. Has better vision and creativity, in addition to shooting.

Roberts will be like a new signing when everyone is back. He'll probably go through the same thing as Sané bar the injury before he gets game time. Only time will tell. It's all exciting witnessing and watching their plays and growth.

Sterling is about a year ahead of Sané, which is what you'd expect. He's just more mature as a player. He makes better decisions when to take on his man or not (although I think most would agree he's a bit too conservative there), his passing and decision making in situations like the counterattack are better, his runs off the ball are much more subtle, and he's generally more aware of what's going on outside his little stretch of the pitch - you'll see him come inside to defend much, much more than Sané.

He's a year older, more settled, more experienced so that's what you'd expect. He just has to keep working or else Sané will overtake him, and that's the kind of internal competition we want.

Agree with Roberts, I'm really hoping he's in the squad next year so we can see him properly, I think his creativity from out wide would be a very interesting addition.

The thing with his shooting is that it can be coached. We're not looking for him to have the innate ability to bang it in from 30-40 yards or curl it in from the outside of the box. We just need him to have more composure when 5-10 yards out. The number of times I've seen him mishit the ball or mistime his shot when a decent connection results in a goal is significantly higher than it should be for a professional footballer.

I don't buy into this "it can't be taught" statement when it comes to the issue with Sterling.

Firstly, let me state that I rate him hugely. His development has been outstanding under Pep and he's thrived from a manager telling him not to worry about losing the ball, just fight to win it back when you do - but not to let that fear change your natural game and sterilise your attributes. It's a great thing to say to a young player like Sterling and gives him huge confidence.

His assist for Defoe on Sunday was brilliant. Yes it was poor defending and only Lithuania but the fact is that very few other English players have the ability to do what he did. It wasn't just the pace, it was the strength to hold off the defender and the confidence to exploit that space. Last summer in the Euros, Sterling would have looked to pass the ball rather than make that move because his confidence was rock bottom.

His mentality is incredible. He was thrown under the bus by Rodgers, who allowed the public into his contractual situation and turned Anfield on his back. That then led to him being booed when playing for England time and time again and being publicly bashed for just about everything he did. He couldn't even buy him Mum a house!

Now he's a huge loss to City whenever he's out of the side because as people have rightly commented, his positioning is incredible. His movement off the ball is fantastic and he's a new player. He'll get better at finishing. I know City spend a lot of time practising the whipped ball in from wide positions and finishing the move off. I think it's just a case of spending time in training practising that over and over.

I remember Aaron Ramsey suddenly scoring for fun a few seasons back and he said it just came from someone saying to him in training he had much more time than he thought. To take a breath, to relax, to stay composed and to pick his spot. I’m sure we’ve all had it when playing ourselves, you get played through on goal and the adrenalin pumps and you snatch at the ball and blaze it over when it’s easier to score. I think it’s the same thing with Sterling, he just rushes things. On the flip side, his goal against West Ham at home earlier in the season was hugely composed and incredibly difficult to finish so he’s got the ability.

He probably could have had three or four more this season but he’s on an upward trajectory and that’s the main thing. Sometimes he passes when he shoots and vice versa. It’s a split second decision and I think Pep’s very much behind the idea of drawing the keeper out and passing to a team mate because I’ve seen Aguero do it at times when he would never in a million years do that in seasons gone by.

Sterling's problem with shooting isn't composure, it's a lack of confidence. When he's on his own, he often displays loads of composure, sitting down players before taking a shot or not being afraid to take an extra touch to get a better angle or go round the keeper. That's composure in the box, a lack of composure would just be trying to smash it.

His problem is that whenever there's another option - he gets caught in two minds, whether to pass or shoot, and usually hesitates or makes the wrong choice. It's a hangover from when his confidence was really low, but it's the kind of thing that will be fixed if he just gets a few goals and gets on a roll.

He needs a few goals in quick succession in order to have the confidence to just hit it and not worry if someone else might possibly be open if he wriggles about a bit and checks inside. He needs to be more selfish.

Sterling is about a year ahead of Sané, which is what you'd expect. He's just more mature as a player. He makes better decisions when to take on his man or not (although I think most would agree he's a bit too conservative there), his passing and decision making in situations like the counterattack are better, his runs off the ball are much more subtle, and he's generally more aware of what's going on outside his little stretch of the pitch - you'll see him come inside to defend much, much more than Sané.

He's a year older, more settled, more experienced so that's what you'd expect. He just has to keep working or else Sané will overtake him, and that's the kind of internal competition we want.

Agree with Roberts, I'm really hoping he's in the squad next year so we can see him properly, I think his creativity from out wide would be a very interesting addition.

I agree with a lot of your points. He does have better decision making in counterattacks. I believe 8/10, he always looks to pass with a goal scoring chance. You could say the right side is safe. Sagna isn't exactly a gung-ho RB and Sterling is conservative with regards to taking on his men. But when he picks a certain moment and gets it right, you can't catch him. Whereas, 9/10, whether he loses the ball or not, Sané will take everyone on if he could. Just from the glimpse of Sané and G.Jesus, you sense plays without fear or worry even if they don't get it right all the time. Would like Sterling to do that and not think too much. That sort of style will lift the team. It did when Sané found form and Jesus came in. Sterling played better as well.

I fear for Sterling being left behind if he doesn't keep at it. That's why I said Roberts will challenge him. Maybe not right away but he could do ,I have more so than Navas. It's all exciting just thinking of the young players ripping every defender a new one in the future once it's all clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.