General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenophobia is an irrational fear or hatred of all foreigners. One can love the French but hate the Germans. Or love the Welsh but hate the Americans. That doesn't make a person xenophobic.

Nor would a Spaniard disliking Catalans, which is similar to the case in point. He may consider a separate country, but he would not be correct.

Are you saying the post wasn't xenophobic because it's not directed at ALL foreigners (just the Scots) ?

Are you saying the post wasn't xenophobic because it's not directed at ALL foreigners (just the Scots) ?
Yes. It was anti-Scottish and not very nice. But I wouldn't say that his post in isolation is xenophobic.

I also don't class the Scotch as foreigners. We are one nation with one head of state, one currency and the same passport.

Sadly she holds all the cards and will walk it, there's no way she'll give a sucker an even break and risk anything.

I think she'll be forced to change her mind. The debates will focus heavily on Brexit and she would be relying on Paul Nuttall to make her case.

It's 1 in 4 in Kent, 1 in 3 in Trafford.
But Manchester has over 30 secondary schools. How do you suddenly get 10 new grammar schools? Who decides which become grammars? Can they all decide to go selective (no LA control of academies)? How much to build new schools? (Unnecessary free schools all over the place, with secret budgets - try a FoI request to find out how much per-pupil they get...)
So different chance of getting in a grammar school depending on where you live, how many other bright pupils they are in your particular year (you'd pass 11 plus one year, but "fail" the next), and whether you can afford the private tutor (or the prep school).

“At political meetings at the end of the 1960s, Edward Boyle [Minster of Education from 1962 to 1964] was torn limb from limb by conservative voters, infuriated that their children who had ‘failed’ the eleven-plus were being sent to secondary moderns, along with 70-80% of each age group. They had regarded the grammars as ‘their schools’. The eleven-plus, they said, lost them the 1964 election and would lose them every one until it was abolished. Margaret Thatcher recognised this as has every Tory party in practice ever since.” (Simon Jenkins, 2007)

In addition the authorities that have the 11 plus are open to anyone sitting the exam. Many, many children attend Trafford grammar schools from homes paying council tax to different authorities like Manchester. It must piss Trafford council tax payers off to see their own children denied places taken by outsiders.

Electoral calculus is tipping a 112 seat Tory majority.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

You can type in your postcode and see what the prediction is for your own seat. Mine (Wrexham) is tipped to fall to the Tories for the first time in its history...

They're predicting Labour to lose 50 seats which is certainly possible but would mean majorities of up to 4,500 being overturned. Bearing in mind that 2015 was a very bad result for Labour, it begs the question as to how much further Corbyn can drag them down.

Electoral calculus is tipping a 112 seat Tory majority.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

You can type in your postcode and see what the prediction is for your own seat. Mine (Wrexham) is tipped to fall to the Tories for the first time in its history...
I'm extremely sceptical of all poll/prediction sites. I think they should be forced to show who funds & operates them. Like it or not, people are swayed by what they think the majority are thinking. No better than press bias in my opinion.

On a side point, what would happen if Theresa May loses her local seat to the Lib Dems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.