Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just see it as obfuscation TBF.

I live in the here and now of 2017 in the UK. I get it - a sensible decision has been made by the UK government about a GE - in the here and now. Issue for you, IMO, is that it pulls the rug from under your hopes for the coming months/years.

Therefore it has to be compared to Erdogan, Morsi - etc.

Obfuscation - it is more convenient than running around screaming in frustration

Last edited:
Excellent post.

You either believe in democracy or you don't, in my opinion. You can't just champion it when it suits you.

If the Tories are returned with a 100 seat majority then the will of the British people have spoken and they have their mandate.
It would still be on a minority of the electorate - more than the 25% who voted for them in 2015 but hardly the will of the people.

I must admit that, even though it does the UK no good, Schadenfreude could have been coined for the latest Trump reality check: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN17O07Z

I just see it as obfuscation TBF.

I live in the here and now of 2017 in the UK. I get it - a sensible decision has been made by the UK government about a GE - in the here and now. Issues for you, IMO, is that it pulls the rug from under your hopes for the coming months/years.

Therefore it has to be compared to Erdogan, Morsi - etc.

Obfuscation - it is more convenient than running around screaming in frustration

It's official, you're a troll.

But Fumble - I have read posts from you and others who are strong advocates of Remain speak out loudly about how we are in a representative democracy and how Parliament must have final word etc.

If, following the GE, the UK population has returned a larger majority for the PM - in the full knowledge that she is entering into the negotiations and seeking a stronger mandate to act robustly - is that not exactly representative democracy in action.

Or are you just selective and that is only what you want when the loading in the commons is in favour of Remain?

Excellent post.

You either believe in democracy or you don't, in my opinion. You can't just champion it when it suits you.

If the Tories are returned with a 100 seat majority then the will of the British people have spoken and they have their mandate.

But the laws governing fixed term Parliaments were introduced because it was a better form of democracy. A much needed step towards true democtratisation of the Parliamentary democracy in the UK. A form of democacy that forced the Government to act in the interests of the people at all times and not to act in their own self interest at the expense of the country and the people.

Theresa May has refued to act in the best intersets of the people, and has instead acted (priimarily) in her own selfish intersest and (secondarily) in the interests of the backers of a soft Brexit.

Less than six years and two mandate periods after the introduction of the fixed term parliament act she has thrown it on the scrap heap. Clearly her decision has degraded and depreciated democracy in Britain. Having taken a much needed step forward to a more democtatic UK, which May voted for in the Commons, she has now decided that it is expedient for her to act in her own self interest and to hell with democracy.

As @Damocles states, you either believe in democracy, or you don't. May, @mcfc1632 and @Damocles clearly don't, or if we are being kind, have a very weak grasp of the concept.

Hmmmm. where to start with this - there are a couple of points to make really.

1. - You state your personal opinion to be fact. Not just your view on the attitude of Damocles and I towards democracy, but the also your comments on the Fixed Term Parliament act. Convention I think is to be clear - unless you actually are stating facts - that comments reflect your opinions.

2. You, IMO, are right - to a degree - about the reasons that the Fixed Term Parliament act was introduced, after all Nick Clegg speaking in parliament stated:

""We are seeking to remove from the executive and the Prime Minister of the day the ability to play politics with the timing of the election."

Where you are wrong, IMO, is all the rest of your comments on the Fixed Term Parliament act. The title of the act itself is something of a misnomer, there are countries, such as Norway that have 'true' Fixed Term Parliaments - there are definitions in existence:

Completely fixed: No provision for calling an election before the scheduled date.
Semi-fixed: Mechanisms in place to allow for dissolution before the scheduled election date.

Against these definitions the reality is that the UK has a 'Semi-fixed' system - and that is for the good reasons, which were articulated in the HoC and HoL during the drafting of the bill. There was recognition of the need to reserve the opportunity for parliament to determine 'in the interests of the UK' if there was a need to introduce an earlier election. Accordingly, the act included 2 conditions that would need to be satisfied before an election could be called. These were drafted such that they would thereby protect against a PM being able to act in the manner that you describe as - Theresa May not:

".. acting in the best interests of the people, and has instead acted (primarily) in her own selfish interests......."

These conditions, as I think we all know were:
  • if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division or;
  • if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.
It follows therefore that May has acted entirely consistent with the Fixed Term Parliament act - she had reached a conclusion that there was a need for another election 'in the interests of the UK' and she moved accordingly. You appear to doubt her stated reasons - that is just your opinion.

The movement was carried with an enormous majority, if anything your criticism should be aimed at Labour and the other parties - if they felt there was not a need for another election 'in the interests of the UK' - then they should have simply voted it down. Why did they not? The logical conclusion(s) are either that they concurred or they themselves were acting in party political interests - placing these ahead of the UK's.

My conclusion(s):

1. IMO, Damocles and I are certainly clear of any accusation that you make in your comment:

"As @Damocles states, you either believe in democracy, or you don't. May, @mcfc1632 and @Damocles clearly don't, or if we are being kind, have a very weak grasp of the concept."

indeed, as I have taken time to explain the reality of the Fixed Term Parliament act to you maybe you should look in a mirror.

2. You are likely to be just one of the bitter Remainers that cannot move on and start to focus on the achieving, through the negotiations, the best interests of the UK - just my opinion mind.

Last edited:
But the laws governing fixed term Parliaments were introduced because it was a better form of democracy. A much needed step towards true democtratisation of the Parliamentary democracy in the UK. A form of democacy that forced the Government to act in the interests of the people at all times and not to act in their own self interest at the expense of the country and the people.

Theresa May has refued to act in the best intersets of the people, and has instead acted (priimarily) in her own selfish intersest and (secondarily) in the interests of the backers of a soft Brexit.

Less than six years and two mandate periods after the introduction of the fixed term parliament act she has thrown it on the scrap heap. Clearly her decision has degraded and depreciated democracy in Britain. Having taken a much needed step forward to a more democtatic UK, which May voted for in the Commons, she has now decided that it is expedient for her to act in her own self interest and to hell with democracy.

As @Damocles states, you either believe in democracy, or you don't. May, @mcfc1632 and @Damocles clearly don't, or if we are being kind, have a very weak grasp of the concept.

What sort of ill thought out bullshit is this?

May fully complied with the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. She took her election to Parliament which overwhelmingly passed it and decided that they'd run.

You see somebody who is your political opponent complying with British law in order to form a Government as "undemocratic". This is why you're an authoritarian in sheep's clothing. You hate it because they had the wrong colour tie on.

What sort of ill thought out bullshit is this?

May fully complied with the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. She took her election to Parliament which overwhelmingly passed it and decided that they'd run.

You see somebody who is your political opponent complying with British law in order to form a Government as "undemocratic". This is why you're an authoritarian in sheep's clothing. You hate it because they had the wrong colour tie on.
Yes, that's about the strength of it. Labour have been weak and ineffectual, it's MP's know why, Jezza is the culprit,
they probably hoped to bumble through the next 3 years hoping they'd be shot of him somehow, and meanwhile, keep up
the pretence of effective opposition. Well now, they've been forced to face the music, trying frantically to push the Labour
cause without mentioning the leader too much, the liability factor is too crippling, and it's supporters are reduced to calling
May an 'Opportunist.'
Of course she is, the prospect of 100 plus extra juicy seats for an extended period would prompt anyone to do the same.

You seem like an intelligent young person.
Perhaps you could respond to the Len Rum open invitation to Brexiters to be a little more specific about what they want from the final settlement with the EU , do you have any 'red lines' that should not be crossed, what if the Govt. did cross them, would you protest/object and would that be a dereliction of your patriotic duty?
Answers on a post card please to:
Len Rum
Lounge and bar
The non conformist society
Neasden

Copy to mcfc1632.

Len, as mentioned in an earlier post, I seem to see things differently to you and that will be reflected in this answer

I guess when you were asking this question you were seeking/expecting to hear examples of Red Lines described in terms such as, no immigration, no involvement with the ECJ, not a penny going to Brussels, access to the single market etc.

The debate on here and generally in the wider press and public, seems to be about topics such as access to the single market, ending FOM etc. Of course the terms soft and hard Brexit are frequently used. I view these outputs as simply consequences of where the negotiations may(or may not) take us and, more negatively, I see the attempt to keep the focus on them as just more of the cynical Remainer machinations that have been going on for months as they continue 'the fight'. It is a type of Project Fear - trying to keep the negative consequences of Leaving high in the public conscious.

As an example, you would be forgiven for thinking that May is absolute that the UK must leave the single market - in some kind of 'hard-liner' stance. The fact is that it is not the UK mandating that position - it is the EU, through their insistence that FOM must be accepted. It is the same with most of the key themes/consequences that are being badged under the title of Hard-Brexit. It is repeatedly the case that positions are hardening through the EU's intransigence, not the UK's and we have to adapt accordingly.

So my answer to your question is that I am seeking the outcome of leaving the EU - fully and in a manner that demonstrates that it is complete and not vulnerable to becoming some form of 'associate member'. I do not want any version of membership, whether it comes with opt-outs or not - I simply want us to have fully left the EU.

How I describe the 'outcome' of having left the EU is through total freedom to control all key areas, such as borders, money and laws - essentially all the rights and freedoms of an independent nation. I wish to see the UK as free of the EU hegemony as any other nation such as Australia, the US etc. with any links only what we have decided to put in place - always fully under our control.

I am resolute in my view that the EU is a failing model and that should the UK continue to be tied to it through any form of membership then we will be in a downward spiral until we are dragged, through increasing integration, into the collective.

There are not really any Red lines for me so long as the government pursues a path to achieve a complete and clear separation. Achieving an outcome of 'actually' leaving the EU is essentially my only Red Line and I am willing to make almost any level of compromise/sacrifice so long as that is achieved.

Money - I have previously said this is a big area of leverage for us, but I would pay a lot to get away from the EU. I would go as far as to committing our contributions for the next 7 years - so long as that commitment was set against things securely negotiated in our favour and not just us being 'mugged' - such as 'we have to pay a divorce bill first.

ECJ - We must 'for all intents and purposes' be free of the jurisdiction of the ECJ and free to make our own laws - that said I am not unwilling to see if there are indeed some areas where it makes practical sense for there to be some form of compliance/equivalence

Immigration - like most I am sure, what I want is control. It is not a question of 'tens of thousands' - I see that as a cheap Remainer attempt to try and wed Brexit to Cameron's silly measure and brand Leave voters as being all about immigration. It is about having full control. I then do not care if the immigration continues at 300k pa - because it must mean that this is what we are selecting for reasons to support our economy. Indeed, continued high levels of immigration in a world where we have full controls could be welcomed as it should logically be driven by the needs of our economy and therefore reflect the health of that economy and thereby also mean that the money is there to fund the required improvements to infrastructure.

No - for me there is not a list of bullets to give you as Red Lines - I simply want to look back in a few years and to see that we have left - clearly - and I would pay a high price for that because it would be worth it in the long run.

So, as I have said in a number of posts previously, for me success in the negotiations would look like either:

a) We jointly agree a framework that sees the UK on a pre-determined track towards fully exiting the EU with agreements (solid principles) in place on how key areas, such as trade, will be undertaken. For this I would be happy to see the UK commit to support the EU with a good deal of money - on a tapering basis over, lets say 7 years, or

b) Should we, through the EU's intransigence, be unable to gain their 'acceptance' of the fact that we are indeed leaving (they have not accepted that fact yet!!) and they continue to play the hardball approach that their 'Negotiating Mandate' represents, then we 'crash out' early(taking our money with us) - accepting the full consequences of that.

A lot of Remainers will bleat about this 2nd option being the hardest of hard Brexits - but what pisses me off is their lack of ability to appropriately apportion the blame. It is clearly set out in the A50 note and many other pronouncements that we wish to have an excellent working relationship with the EU and will consider monetary support to them. It is the EU that are seeking to force the UK into what would be effectively continued membership. A bit like the Remainers on here - until the EU find it within themselves to accept that we are definitely leaving then progress is likely to be difficult.

May's decision to call the election, on the assumption that she secures and increased majority, should really help. Hopefully it will extinguish what has been up to now the EU's expectation that the decision to Leave will be undermined from within the UK and all they have to do is play hardball and drag the process out.

I think that the Remainers should review the EU's negotiating mandate - it is so totally one-sided and reflects an attitude of - the 'UK must lose' in every area. They will probably lap it up, but for me it is a clear demonstration of the status the UK 'enjoys' within the EU and the contempt to which the UK is held - all we are good for is our money.

I would much rather crash out and have a couple of decades rebuilding than to continue to be contemptuously milked and dragged along into full integration for generations to come.

This is our one chance - unexpected as it was - we need to take it cleanly and fully and allow compromises that could lead to us being sucked back in.

Last edited:
Len, as mentioned in an earlier post, I seem to see things differently to you and that will be reflected in this answer

I guess when you were asking this question you were seeking/expecting to hear examples of Red Lines described in terms such as, no immigration, no involvement with the ECJ, not a penny going to Brussels, access to the single market etc.

The debate on here and generally in the wider press and public, seems to be about topics such as access to the single market, ending FOM etc. Of course the terms soft and hard Brexit are frequently used. I view these outputs as simply consequences of where the negotiations may(or may not) take us and, more negatively, I see the attempt to keep the focus on them as just more of the cynical Remainer machinations that have been going on for months as they continue 'the fight'. It is a type of Project Fear - trying to keep the negative consequences of Leaving high in the public conscious.

As an example, you would be forgiven for thinking that May is absolute that the UK must leave the single market - in some kind of 'hard-liner' stance. The fact is that it is not the UK mandating that position - it is the EU, through their insistence that FOM must be accepted. It is the same with most of the key themes/consequences that are being badged under the title of Hard-Brexit. It is repeatedly the case that positions are hardening through the EU's intransigence, not the UK's and we have to adapt accordingly.

So my answer to your question is that I am seeking the outcome of leaving the EU - fully and in a manner that demonstrates that it is complete and not vulnerable to becoming some form of 'associate member'. I do not want any version of membership, whether it comes with opt-outs or not - I simply want us to have fully left the EU.

How I describe the 'outcome' of having left the EU is through total freedom to control all key areas, such as borders, money and laws - essentially all the rights and freedoms of an independent nation. I wish to see the UK as free of the EU hegemony as any other nation such as Australia, the US etc. with any links only what we have decided to put in place - always fully under our control.

I am resolute in my view that the EU is a failing model and that should the UK continue to be tied to it through any form of membership then we will be in a downward spiral until we are dragged, through increasing integration, into the collective.

There are not really any Red lines for me so long as the government pursues a path to achieve a complete and clear separation. Achieving an outcome of 'actually' leaving the EU is essentially my only Red Line and I am willing to make almost any level of compromise/sacrifice so long as that is achieved.

Money - I have previously said this is a big area of leverage for us, but I would pay a lot to get away from the EU. I would go as far as to committing our contributions for the next 7 years - so long as that commitment was set against things securely negotiated in our favour and not just us being 'mugged' - such as 'we have to pay a divorce bill first.

ECJ - We must 'for all intents and purposes' be free of the jurisdiction of the ECJ and free to make our own laws - that said I am not unwilling to see if there are indeed some areas where it makes practical sense for there to be some form of compliance/equivalence

Immigration - like most I am sure, what I want is control. It is not a question of 'tens of thousands' - I see that as a cheap Remainer attempt to try and wed Brexit to Cameron's silly measure and brand Leave voters as being all about immigration. It is about having full control. I then do not care if the immigration continues at 300k pa - because it must mean that this is what we are selecting for reasons to support our economy. Indeed, continued high levels of immigration in a world where we have full controls could be welcomed as it should logically be driven by the needs of our economy and therefore reflect the health of that economy and thereby also mean that the money is there to fund the required improvements to infrastructure.

No - for me there is not a list of bullets to give you as Red Lines - I simply want to look back in a few years and to see that we have left - clearly - and I would pay a high price for that because it would be worth it in the long run.

So, as I have said in a number of posts previously, for me success in the negotiations would look like either:

a) We jointly agree a framework that sees the UK on a pre-determined track towards fully exiting the EU with agreements (solid principles) in place on how key areas, such as trade, will be undertaken. For this I would be happy to see the UK commit to support the EU with a good deal of money - on a tapering basis over, lets say 7 years, or

b) Should we, through the EU's intransigence, be unable to gain their 'acceptance' of the fact that we are indeed leaving (they have not accepted that fact yet!!) and they continue to play the hardball approach that their 'Negotiating Mandate' represents, then we 'crash out' early(taking our money with us) - accepting the full consequences of that.

A lot of Remainers will bleat about this 2nd option being the hardest of hard Brexits - but what pisses me off is their lack of ability to appropriately apportion the blame. It is clearly set out in the A50 note and many other pronouncements that we wish to have an excellent working relationship with the EU and will consider monetary support to them. It is the EU that are seeking to force the UK into what would be effectively continued membership. A bit like the Remainers on here - until the EU find it within themselves to accept that we are definitely leaving then progress is likely to be difficult.

May's decision to call the election, on the assumption that she secures and increased majority, should really help. Hopefully it will extinguish what has been up to now the EU's expectation that the decision to Leave will be undermined from within the UK and all they have to do is play hardball and drag the process out.

I think that the Remainers should review the EU's negotiating mandate - it is so totally one-sided and reflects an attitude of - the 'UK must lose' in every area. They will probably lap it up, but for me it is a clear demonstration of the status the UK 'enjoys' within the EU and the contempt to which the UK is held - all we are good for is our money.

I would much rather crash out and have a couple of decades rebuilding than to continue to be contemptuously milked and dragged along into full integration for generations to come.

This is our one chance - unexpected as it was - we need to take it cleanly and fully and allow compromises that could lead to us being sucked back in.
Your red line of us leaving the EU will not be crossed , however the concessions you indicate we could agree to will mean that we will be an associate member of the EU in all but name.
The concessions you mention on payments, ECJ and immigration will represent a betrayal to most leave voters, particularly on immigration ( and you failed to mention the transition phase of probably an additional three years still fully or closely aligned to,the EU which will be another compromise too far for many leavers).
I think you will you find we will have to stump up a lot of money to get a comprehensive trade deal particularly if we wish to cut our own trade deals, which EU members are not allowed to do.
Compliance with lots of ECJ legislation on whole swathes of trade, commerce and economics will be necessary for a full trade deal - considerably more than the "compliance/equivalence" you refer to.
And finally on immigration we will as a minimum have to give preferential access to EU workers.We know immigration will not reduce despite having "control".
Your reference to your "acceptance" of the nightmare scenario of crashing out with the resultant economic meltdown (as opposed to remaining fully integrated) followed by a twenty years "rebuild" would be acceptable to nobody but yourself and perhaps Metal Biker ( although I think even he was only prepared for 17 years).
Despite all this the final deal you outlined is along lines I proposed in an earlier post, although I think the UK will have to concede more than you think.Nevertheless it is in principle a deal which IMHO would be acceptable to many remainers and definitely puts you in the soft Brexit camp.
However many leavers, the RWNJ press, the right wing Tory party loons and various anti EU groups like Leave means Leave will see this kind of deal as basically UK "associate member of the EU". You and I are ok with that, will they be and will the reMAYner be able to see them off?
With her new majority the hope is that she will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.