Rate this season

Some of these comments remind me why I mainly hang around the off topic section on this site, years of underinvestment in key areas of this squad is why we are where we are at this moment in time; not pep. He has had this team playing some of the best football I've ever seen but poor finishing and poor individual defending have cost us dearly

Granted there has definitely been some horrific purchases in key areas over the past few years - but Pep knew he was coming to us way before the summer & he also knew full well that he would be going into the season with an injury prone skipper and collectively the worst set of full backs in the top half of the league.

For a man who has always built his sides around quality full backs - why on earth did he not have the foresight to demand that we strengthen in this area. He also cocked up massively with the Bravo decision.

Its only my opinion and we all differ, but I think he massively underestimated the league and consequently had a huge wake up call this season. No excuses next year.

5/10 season.

Dont know what happened with the story we were sold on that Pep Guardiola unlike other managers is spending hours and hours and hours to analyze opponents. And he is the man of details, any small weakness in opponents will be punished.

Quite the opposite, we seem to play the same way against everyone even if they set up totally differently, while if they keep punishing our weaknesses like defending, set pieces, attacking corners, finishing, we just dont seem to improve these or work on these enough.

We couldnt beat anyone that is stronger in England since we beat United at OT in September. Many games against Everton, Tottenham, Leicester, Chelsea, Arsenal, Pool, not one win but many losses.

This season is as expected to be honest & I even stated that fans will need to be patient and my reasons are as follows...

An aged back four

Kompany dearly missed

A mistake as all agreed I think that getting rid of joel has bitten us in bum

YaYa - Deserved to be dropped in my opinion for being a lazy ass and that idiot of a manager shouting mouth off and has since came back and played brilliantly and may well get a years extension.

Gabriel Jesus injury effectively killed our chances of pressuring for top spot.

Dropping Kun to show him he needs to step up - and I think he is right we ain't clinical in finishing games. When Gabriel was on he was a breath of fresh air. Don't get me wrong Kun is a brilliant striker but like all people we become comfortable in place of work and need that little kick up ass.

Pep has learnt that the premier league is a hard league - This will be his 1st season he hasn't won something as a manager. Food for thought.

Every competiton in my opinion you should be playing your best players and not just firld s team hoping to get the win - put them out and once when we look like we have it in bag then sub your players.

7/10 for me - a joy to watch & fustraing at times.

Roll onnnext season but top 4 first please

Absolutely wank.

Guardiola has massively underwhelmed and massively under delivered.

He's shown me he is unable and/or unwilling to adapt or change 'his' way of doing things, despite it clearly not working.

Considering he's supposed to be the best coach in the world, that is alarming.

If he gets finished above by THAT side he wants to take a very long look at himself.
Utter nonsense

Just got in and fed up of reading about how pep needs a year. Fuck off with that shit will you. Conte is about to win a double with Chelsea and mourinho could win 2 trophies and knock us out of the top 4. Pep spent money. He got rid of hart and nasri who should both still be here. He's called yaya and Sergio who continue to be vital to the team and will be extremely difficult to replace. He's bought nolito and never even puts him in the squad. He's progressed us not one jot and that's the biggest problem. His results against the top 4 are awful. One win?!? He has a lot to prove for city cos he's added fuck all this season.

6 - I think there's been a huge improvement from last season in the overall play, the attitude of the players, and from the manager.

Unfortunately it's not quite translated into results, especially in the big games. The fact that it keeps happening suggests something is missing rather than it just being luck (although that has played a part).

I think the stark reality is the quality of player Pep has to work with now is significantly lower than he's had before, especially in midfield and defence.

I'm not sure whether to criticise a lack of adaptation from Pep, because he's been hired in a large part due to his style of play. He's clearly tried many different approaches to make it work within his overall philosophy, which it has in patches but hasn't been sustainable.

I think the near future is far from certain because we have to buy the right players, it's not that easy to build a new team in a couple of seasons. It's a problem we've created through waiting for Pep, and neglecting the squad in the mean time.

Big, big Summer ahead, we have to get it right.

Granted there has definitely been some horrific purchases in key areas over the past few years - but Pep knew he was coming to us way before the summer & he also knew full well that he would be going into the season with an injury prone skipper and collectively the worst set of full backs in the top half of the league.

For a man who has always built his sides around quality full backs - why on earth did he not have the foresight to demand that we strengthen in this area. He also cocked up massively with the Bravo decision.

Its only my opinion and we all differ, but I think he massively underestimated the league and consequently had a huge wake up call this season. No excuses next year.

5/10 season.

How do you know he didn't try to get fullbacks? He's not an idiot, he's one of the best managers on the planet evidenced by his track record with Barca and Munich.
If you don't think he knew there were holes at the full back area then you're mistaken, he will have evaluated the squad and seen that the current fullback situation and knows it's very, very weak; however this isn't FIFA where you can buy whoever you want with the right money.
What makes you say he underestimated the league?

Just got in and fed up of reading about how pep needs a year. Fuck off with that shit will you. Conte is about to win a double with Chelsea and mourinho could win 2 trophies and knock us out of the top 4. Pep spent money. He got rid of hart and nasri who should both still be here. He's called yaya and Sergio who continue to be vital to the team and will be extremely difficult to replace. He's bought nolito and never even puts him in the squad. He's progressed us not one jot and that's the biggest problem. His results against the top 4 are awful. One win?!? He has a lot to prove for city cos he's added fuck all this season.

People seem to be forgiving the poor results in big games because we've performed slightly better and created more chances than our shambolic showings last season - along with the fact that we've been shafted by some poor ref decisions. At the end of the day though, we've won one game against a top four rival (two if you count our win at OT) and that is once again fucking shite. We also bottled it in Monaco and lost from a winning position against a bang average Arsenal side.

How do you know he didn't try to get fullbacks? He's not an idiot, he's one of the best managers on the planet evidenced by his track record with Barca and Munich.
If you don't think he knew there were holes at the full back area then you're mistaken, he will have evaluated the squad and seen that the current fullback situation and knows it's very, very weak; however this isn't FIFA where you can buy whoever you want with the right money.
What makes you say he underestimated the league?
So why loan out maffeo and Angelino?

Agree with this, pep and his arrival has been more planned than any manager we've ever had and he should have done a lot better this season. Pellegrini came in and ripped the league apart when he came here. Conte has taken a poor Chelsea squad from last season and is delivering the goods. Work with what you've got. We've got a very good squad and added some huge signings in the summer and he simply hasn't delivered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.