Is Premier League football becoming less entertaining?

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot

So I've been a City season card holder for about 10/11 years now, all I ever did as a kid was talk about City, wear City, live and breath the fucking club.... However I'd say over the last 3 years I've started binning off games, talking less about City, grow frustrated whenever people only talk to me about football, and I'm only 28 years old.

This season I've only attended 5/6 home games and even sold my ticket for the derby, and even watching it before I found myself just fucking about on my phone hardly paying any attention! I've been to a number of away games mainly for the piss up and banter with the lads, as soon as a ball is kicked I'm like 20% interested!

I find the game has lost that extra oomph it had 10/20 years ago, and it's not that it's our style of play, as watching any Premier League game I just don't find myself interested at all.
I managed to watch Lincoln City vs Macclesfield the other week and got well stuck into it, yet when I watch a big game it's fucking boring!

What's changed top league football? Is it the expectations? The pressure? The money?
Even the players personalities have changed, I couldn't think of one player in our squad who has a bit of character to them, like anyone you could imagine being a laugh on a night out or behind the scenes, has that kind of personality died in football and something that probably won't even exist in another 5/10 years time?

Premier League has definitely lost some of its oomph, and the best teams aren't as good as other top sides in the world.

Just compare tonight's game with Real Madrid v Barcelona last Sunday. Night and day.

Yeah, I think so. Far fewer goals in the big games at least. May never see an 8-2, a 6-0, 6-1, 5-3 or 3-3 between two top teams again.

Same. I've lost interest a little bit in this season. I think it's a combination of our style of play not really being suitable for half the team so our play often looks languid, ponderous and repetitive. Because I'm aware that big changes are probably on their way, I've already accepted this season as being a bit of a write off, particularly since we are nowhere to be seen in the title race. Another reason for me caring less is probably because the same issues are arising every single match (bad goal keeping, mistakes by the same players, us missing sitters and us getting shafted by officials) and it's reached the point where I'm past caring.

maybe you've just got older and can't be arsed with football/ city anymore ?

I did question that to begin with to be honest, but with lower league (league one, league two) I can watch happily..... It almost feels that football, especially for Premier League clubs, has become less of a community... Once I use to think that without the fans a club would die on it's arse, now I get the feeling that a large majority of clubs think they could probably still go on without fans!

Football has definitely reached a saturation point. It's on the box non-stop, you have forums like this where people check in regularly and fans are now seen as customers first, supporters second.
If you went back 20 years when you had none of this and just went along to the game once a week with your mates it'd probably feel different.
This isn't unique to the Premier League, I'm a fan of a provincial team in Scotland and I feel much more apathetic now as well. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution. Shite, isn't it?

There's just too much football now everyone plays in a similar way. It needs revamping. I'd reduce the number of teams in the PL to about 16, and send the top two teams into an end of season Champions League competition played over six weeks or so.

I'd ban sleeve tattoos and stupid beards and haircuts too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.