Man of the Match - Manchester United (h)

Man of the Match - Manchester United (h)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm assuming you watched on TV and not at the ground? Kompany and Otamendi were absolutely superb, as was Yaya. It doesn't mean United had us under pressure, it means that United were playing on the break, but our two centre halves were imperious at cutting it out early and decisively.

Me and the guy I was at the game with both said DeBruyne was a major reason why we didn't break them down. United played 2 deep blocks and didn't allow him any space. So DeBruyne just disappeared for long spells and didn't offer himself as an option. He was supposed to be the playmaker. It's his job to constantly provide an option, and he completely failed at that.

Yaya had to step up to dictate play because DeBruyne was simply not interested in doing so. That led to Yaya having to spray 40 yard balls to the wingers, and Aguero having to drop 20 yards too deep to get the ball.

DeBruyne is fantastic when he's got loads of space to either run in to or exploit with one of his devastating early balls. But in tight spaces against deep lying packed defences, he's pretty uninterested and ineffective. A couple of decent crosses in a game isn't enough in that role. He should be dictating play in there, and he did a lousy job of that last night.

I did find it odd how at times he was playing on the left with sane. Having said that, I thought he had a good game. Had Silva played last night KDB would've been more effective imo, similar to the game we played at the shithole earlier on in the season.

I did find it odd how at times he was playing on the left with sane. Having said that, I thought he had a good game. Had Silva played last night KDB would've been more effective imo, similar to the game we played at the shithole earlier on in the season.

Yeh on the ball he was great. The thing that let him down was that he wasn't on it enough, he didn't demand the ball to feet in tight spaces. It left a huge gap between the back and the front and there was no link from Yaya to the attacking players. This is what Silva does so well and we could have really done with him last night. As you say, that would unleash DeBruyne to go and cause damage.

I'm assuming you watched on TV and not at the ground? Kompany and Otamendi were absolutely superb, as was Yaya. It doesn't mean United had us under pressure, it means that United were playing on the break, but our two centre halves were imperious at cutting it out early and decisively.

Me and the guy I was at the game with both said DeBruyne was a major reason why we didn't break them down. United played 2 deep blocks and didn't allow him any space. So DeBruyne just disappeared for long spells and didn't offer himself as an option. He was supposed to be the playmaker. It's his job to constantly provide an option, and he completely failed at that.

Yaya had to step up to dictate play because DeBruyne was simply not interested in doing so. That led to Yaya having to spray 40 yard balls to the wingers, and Aguero having to drop 20 yards too deep to get the ball.

DeBruyne is fantastic when he's got loads of space to either run in to or exploit with one of his devastating early balls. But in tight spaces against deep lying packed defences, he's pretty uninterested and ineffective. A couple of decent crosses in a game isn't enough in that role. He should be dictating play in there, and he did a lousy job of that last night.

De Bruyne was putting in tackles and did help with the defensive side of the game as well and was up for the fight. He was marked out of the game through periods but still created our better chances.

Otamendi immediately looks a better player with Kompany alongside him. Same goes for Stones. Same went for Joleon Lescott, who was imperious during our 2011-12 season (and who is basically quite an ordinary player, in my view). That's the astonishing thing about Vinny. It's not just that he's good – he makes the whole defence good (well,Bravo, now, that's a tall order…).
The way Yaya's playing, it's difficult to see why the club wouldn't offer him a one-year extension. Unless it is that Pep wants to make a clean break. Which I could understand too. He's got three years. This has been a building season.
Honestly, I thought KDB looked frisky and up for it, unlike some recent games. A fairly decent game, against a packed defence.
All of this is a way of saying that I'm not going to vote on this one.
Special negative mention: Stirling, who has been great this year. I found him wellnigh useless last night, honestly, constantly running up blind alleys, and a throwback to how he looked under Pellegrini.

De Bruyne was putting in tackles and did help with the defensive side of the game as well and was up for the fight. He was marked out of the game through periods but still created our better chances.

Yeh tackling wasn't his problem. It was going missing when we had possession and not making himself available. It's absolutely imperative in the playmaker role to make yourself available for a pass from deeper lying players. DeBruyne fell well short on that front last night.

the Kompany we all want to see each season fit powerful and 100% and last night was just that also big shout out to zabba give him a derby game and will die for you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.