Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are looking at playing 3 center mids next season which seems the more likely thing to do, given the personnel we have, everyone agrees we need a player with physical presence coupled with sound ability on the ball as DM. Silva has a nailed on spot. So who partners him? Yaya cannot be relied on as a starter even though his fitness level is a lot better than some way younger than himself, hoping that Gundo would put injury worries behind him for good and adjust to the physical demands of the premiership is what it is: a hope. That brings me to the real question in my mind viz can we trust KDB to partner Silva in a season long campaign given that Silva himself is not getting any younger whilst the physical nature of the league never goes out of fashion. And I'd like to throw this question open to as many people possible. Can we rely on KDB holding one of the roaming mid roles, going into a new season?

I think Kev's biggest area of weakness is adapting to the parked bus.

On the counter attack I don't think there are many better players in the world, but against a deep block he really seems to struggle unless he is stuck out on the right wing where he can whip in crosses.

On the counter attack I don't think there are many better players in the world, but against a deep block he really seems to struggle unless he is stuck out on the right wing where he can whip in crosses.

100% agree.

He's one player I'm really not sure fits into Pep's style.

If you thought he was awful then that is your opinion but I disagree. As I have said, this was one of his better performances of late and I thought he stepped up, his attitude was better and he created most of the chances we had.

Thats not what I asked, were you at the game? As I say I thought he was poor and my mate who's opinions I value thought he was excellent but he was away working so watched it on TV.

Personally I thought he was poor and was way below the standard that Silva would set in the same position. I would say he was poor in the role I hope he was asked to play. Not that he had a shit game. No lack of effort, as you say a constant threat. I personally thought when we were looking to find gaps in their obsessed defence there was a big gap where De Bruyne should have been and he was not the menace he should have been.

With the exception of Sane on a good day the movement in front of him is not what it should be when we're trying to break down a defensive wall.... Not easy for him sometimes, for me Silva flatters to deceive sometimes and Kev is much more incisive.

Thats not what I asked, were you at the game? As I say I thought he was poor and my mate who's opinions I value thought he was excellent but he was away working so watched it on TV.

Personally I thought he was poor and was way below the standard that Silva would set in the same position. I would say he was poor in the role I hope he was asked to play. Not that he had a shit game. No lack of effort, as you say a constant threat. I personally thought when we were looking to find gaps in their obsessed defence there was a big gap where De Bruyne should have been and he was not the menace he should have been.

And my point was it does not matter whether I was at the game or watched it on TV as that will indicate that everyone that watched it from the stadium will have only one opinion about his performance and everyone that watched it on TV will have an entirely different opinion. Whether you watched it on TV or were at the game, we are entitled to our perspectives on how he played and the perspectives varies regardless. Not only did he create most of our chances, I also thought his attitude was better. As you can evidently see, the views about his performance ranges from awful ( as you said) to good at some moments to good in general. This really is not an issue to dwell upon.

Concerning him and Silva, people need to stop the interchangeability argument between the players. They are completely different types of players. Silva is more about close control, intricacy, keeping and controlling the pace of the game, finding that pocket and creating opportunities. He is also better suited in playing in the deeper role i.e. center midfield than De Bruyne, who is more comfortable playing in a free role where he can drift to the right wing, left wing or center. De Bruyne is all about pace, power, driving forward and into the box, finding the quick, direct ,creative passes and ultimately getting into positions were he can put great crosses into the box. So De Bruyne should not be compared to Silva in terms of what they bring to the table.

100% agree.

He's one player I'm really not sure fits into Pep's style.

That thought has struck me at times.

Seems a waste of his talent with the roles he has been asked to play in a lot of games this season.

Hope it all eventually clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.