Do we play good football?

Watching Chelsea, my god they play so much quicker than us. They pass forward.There is intent in everything they do.
I agree with both these posts and wonder what went wrong after the first ten games, I thought guadiolas style suited us as we had many talented technical p,ayers but then it turned to shit.was it vinnie injured or as someone said he tried three at the back and confused everyone, not sure but I agree too slow, passing side and back to kero possession easy to defend against, whilst Chelsea are electric, full of purpose.i only hope a few new signings will fix it, please god someone who can cross a ball and another midfield general as we can't win without fave at the moment.

We don't, but there is this myth that commentators and pundits go on about that we attack like the Brazil team of old. we've obviously seen worse as city fans but it's very boring these days.

The football we're trying to play is brilliant to watch, when we get it right there's not a better team in Europe but we're very inconsistent in our implementation.

We only have a very group of players who are technically AND physically capable of playing Peps demanding style (Kompany, Stones, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane, Aguero and Jesus). Long term injuries to three of those players have meant the others are completely burnt out from having to play every game. The rest of our squad is either insufficient technically (Clichy, Navas, Fernando, Delph, Inheanacho) or physically (Sagna, Zabaleta, Yaya) so it's no surprise we're inconsistent.

We just have to use this summer to clear the deadwood as such and invest in 5/6 real top class players and we'll be a lot more consistent, injuries and corrupt referees permitting.

For me this is absolutely spot on. I would paraphrase Ahsan (IIRC) from the podcast in saying that I think the collective team reverts to Pellegrini type too often. And thus you get the mind-numbing, slow tappy walk it into the net nonsense when we have too many of the non-Pep types out there. Not intended to be an excuse - Pep's job is to overcome that. But that's what seems to happen.

Cant say that city are fun to watch...its pedestrian with no bottle.

I don't know exactly who's responsible behind the scenes(someone organizes training) but it cant be the recent managers at fault, as this style hasn't really changed since as far back as i can recall. Pep has introduced some adjustments to the way city play, but ultimately he said himself "i'm responsible for getting the ball to this position, then its down to the attackers".

Still a whole bunch better than UTD.

Depends what your definition of good football is. We retain possession well, but it's as frustrating as hell to watch. Takes us 20 passes to get it out of our own half.

We play some amazing stuff at times but also we can look as though we are running through treacle and haven't a clue for spells in most games. I don't know if it's a lack of intensity due to physical demand or if it's simply some of the squad don't possess the ability. I guess we shall find out when the team is made up of 70% Pep players next year.

Yes we do. We play some of the best football in the league. However we haven't played very well for the last month or so and currently look very disjointed when we attack!

The football we're trying to play is brilliant to watch, when we get it right there's not a better team in Europe but we're very inconsistent in our implementation.

We only have a very group of players who are technically AND physically capable of playing Peps demanding style (Kompany, Stones, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane, Aguero and Jesus). Long term injuries to three of those players have meant the others are completely burnt out from having to play every game. The rest of our squad is either insufficient technically (Clichy, Navas, Fernando, Delph, Inheanacho) or physically (Sagna, Zabaleta, Yaya) so it's no surprise we're inconsistent.

We just have to use this summer to clear the deadwood as such and invest in 5/6 real top class players and we'll be a lot more consistent, injuries and corrupt referees permitting.

Absolutely agreed. What on earth do players like Aguero think when they pass it to Navas only to watch him run inside and pass it backwards (again), or his other mode which is to hoof it aimlessly forward and inevitably to an opposition player. I'm amazed our better players ever give Clichy, Navas, Kolorov etc the ball. They might as well just save time and give it to our opponents.

As has been said, when we get it right there isn't a team who can live with us.

But, for so often we are slow, predictable and opponents suss us out.

Again, as has been said, Chelsea play with so much swagger and belief, they blow teams away - the same way that utd under fergie used to (it truly pains me to say that)

When we won the league in 2011/12 we played with so much flair, swagger, confidence and belief, it was us who blew teams away (yes I know there was a bad result or two) it was no fluke we battered Spurs, utd, etc.

These days, we'll have 400+ passes a match.....but what does that really mean if we can't win matches??

We only play good football with any pace or directness when the opposition does. Against buses of 10 or 11 players we pass sideways and backwards forever.

Is the correct answer. Hard to play swashbuckling football against a rag-esque 2 banks of 5. Figuring out how to effectively do so will be Peps greatest challenge, as I guess we will be doing so in roughly 75% of games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.