6th May 1989 - the most typical of 'Typical City' games?

I can vividly remember listening to the commentary of the Bradford game in a mate's living room, and going absolutely wild when Morley equalised.

Yes. This playing out from the back that everyone raves about these days is nothing new. The goal was played from back to front in a heartbeat for Trev to smash in.

"...... and Morley has scored the goal that could very well put Manchester City back in the First Division"

I can't even remember the name of the commentator, but I can still hear the excitement in his voice

Jesus I was 24,i had a photo from the evening news where me and my mates were clearly visible in the kippax just before one of our goals was scored.It was my last season as a season ticket holder for quite a few years, a few months later I travelled to the far east and with that my life was changed forever.

I remember it being boiling hot and so crowded ,by half time it was an amazing feeling and a great carnival atmosphere and then the 2nd half ! I remember that inflateable that was passed from the corner of the kippax right round to the end of the maine stand.In retrospect it was all heading for the finale at Bradford,we've been through the bloody mill us older blues aint we?

Last edited:
I believe this was the time Mel Machin let Eddie Large give the half time team talk, the players were in stitches, revert one was in party mood and we were never on the same planet for the second half. I was convinced we'd blown it and the final match of the season at Bradford was gut wrenching. We needed a point and equalised with 7 (?) minutes to go. One of the Bradford players said to one of our lads, "We can' go up and we don't want Palace to go up, but we can't do it for you, so get your fingers out" as time was running out! Funny that ten years later we were actually in the play offs though in very different circumstances!

So we spent the afternoon before the Bournemouth game in the Old Cock in Stretford with about 8 b/mouth fans ... they were Posties iirc.... .. me Kenny Hand. chris Leach et al .... they followed us to the game in their rental van ........then the week after me and Kenny stood in the away stand at Valley parade...epic times... just wish i was 20 years younger again....

Yes. This playing out from the back that everyone raves about these days is nothing new. The goal was played from back to front in a heartbeat for Trev to smash in.

"...... and Morley has scored the goal that could very well put Manchester City back in the First Division"

I can't even remember the name of the commentator, but I can still hear the excitement in his voice

If it was the TV commentary rather than the radio commentary I'm pretty sure it was none other than, ahem, Martin Tyler. Tyler commentated on a fair few City games in those days, and actually came across as excited into the bargain. He commentated on the Granada coverage of the 10-1 against Huddersfield (I think Cheesy did City's in-house commentary).

If it was the TV commentary rather than the radio commentary I'm pretty sure it was none other than, ahem, Martin Tyler. Tyler commentated on a fair few City games in those days, and actually came across as excited into the bargain. He commentated on the Granada coverage of the 10-1 against Huddersfield (I think Cheesy did City's in-house commentary).

It certainly was him

Anyway, as for the Bournemouth game it's funny as we were talking about it at the match on Saturday when we went 3-0 up against Palace. I told my mates it was 28 years to the day since we'd thrown away that 3 goal lead so we couldn't be certain of the 3 points. There was even a mini version of that famous beach ball being passed around the South Stand on Saturday while I was reminding my mates of the Bournemouth game ;)

As it happens, I wasn't even at Maine Road that day. It was just before I started attending games regularly but it's indelibly marked on my brain. I'd just started my first office job in Hazel Grove the month before and had been at the Palace 1-1 draw 5 days earlier on May Day. I would've gone to the Bournemouth game if work hadn't organised a stock take for that weekend with all staff being called in, so I had to make do with Brian Clarke's radio commentary. From memory, we left work with City 3-2 up well into injury time. I got a lift to the bus stop as the final scores were being read out on the radio in the car. I was utterly convinced we'd won the game so imagine my shock and despair when our result was read out. IIRC, the bloke giving me a lift didn't support anyone in particular but he found it utterly hilarious the fucker!

I could be mistaken here but the following week against Bradford while we needed a point to be absolutely sure, a 1-0 defeat would've meant Palace had to win their game by 5 clear goals. They were 4 up against Birmingham inside something like the first 30 minutes then that City fan got on the pitch to tell Paul Lake that they were 5-0 up, meaning we needed to equalise. As it happens, Palace weren't 5-0 up and their game ended 4-1 so a 1-0 defeat would've been enough after all. Not that the players would've known that at the time!

Will never forget that day, we was all in a boozer in Bradford called The fighting cock when a crew of Leeds utd came and took liberties! Was very scary as a 17yr old.
The fella with the long hair who ran on the pitch was stood with us at the back of the stand before he ran on, kept saying he had to 'do something' , gave us his union jack flag and ran down the stand to the gate at the corner flag, me and the lads were in stitches when we seen him run on.
We returned his flag back to the club for some reason a few days later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.