32 Years ago today

A lot of fans today wont realise what a big thing it was, City being in the 2nd Division back then. I forgot what such a shit run we had before the Charlton game, nearly blowing promotion. That trip to Fratton Park the week before was oh so memorable, a Yelloways away day, taking the piss out of Alan Ball (RIP) as he was being interviewed on the pitch after the game. No idea now what time the coach got back that night!

Remember after the match drinking with George Heslop in his pub on Hyde rd,think it was called the City Gates.He was only 66 when he died in 2006,sad.

I know yea,very strange,I was in the other corner,with my dad,what became the Gene Kelly stand,honest to God,talk about packed in there
You could tell it was full when the bit of the stand where the kippax covered the Platt Lane goal was full as well.

In those days I was always in windy corner, better rake than the Kippax for a short arse like me.

12 I was.
Days like that were few and far between back then. Up there with Agueroooooo , Blackburn , Bradford etc.
During one of the many pitch invasions that day, a lad with a pie ran on and was chased by a steward, causing him to fall over, but fair play to the pie eater, he kept a good grip on it. There's a video somewhere .
"Going up Going up Going up....."

Oh shit, just watched the vid.
The pie man was after mays goal haha!

Brilliant day, remember talking to 2 Blues in a pub in town after, they were squaddies who had gone AWOL just for that game, they were going to give themselves in at Preston barracks next day but said it was worth the punishment!

Started off at the back of the Kippax and got thrown about after each goal.
We were near the front by full time and delayed our climb over the barriers long enough for others to occupy the stewards.
Then across the pitch before leaving via the Main Stand.

Was with my mates Dad, got lost and ended up at Platt Lane police station and folks had to pick me up.

Crowd given as 49k that day - another Swales dodge. All seats taken, all aisles blocked and kippax rammed like never before. As others have said the corner of the kippax started off empty and ended up being packed. At least 55k there that day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.