Staffies

My friend has a rescue Staffy. She's a lovely dog and soft as a brush! Go for it.

There are other dogs mate!

First of all well done in even considering giving a home to a dog in a shelter.

As for Staffies? My pal had one who was an absolute sweetheart. She too was rescued.

As has been advised, go and spend time with it and see if you both connect. If you do you will love it.

Hope it works out, if it does post a pic.

Good luck.,

Dogs in the main will always reflect on their pack leader (owner) the more time, energy and guidance you put in leads to a balanced dog, I have had a couple of shelter dogs one was a springer/cocker mix and was a bolter but calmed down the other was a sweet as a button Collie, I have a mate with a rescue Staff dog and its a cracking but hes at home all day so its getting all the time needed. As others have said see if you get a bond and maybe ask for a fostering period I know some rescue centres offer this.

Mate of mine has a rescue staffie and he's gentle and a great dog, bit of a challenge if he pulls on the lead as he's a proper meathead but a great family pet. Sad how some people buy them to look hard and mistreat them, gives the breed a bad name but like any dog. If you're a good owner, you'll have a great dog and a loving dog. If you're a poor owner, the animal will have bad traits, nice one for looking at a rescue dog. Best dog we had as a kid came from the Dogs Home.

You need to be able to give it the attention it craves. They are a bundle of energy and need regular exercise. If you can`t give it the time don`t get one.

First....

Do you have the time to discipline and channel the Dogs energy?

Second...

Age of the Dog is important.
You can teach older dogs new tricks, but it's much harder and with no experience and no other dog to show the older dog the way... Near impossible.
So the younger the easier it is to discipline the dog.

Third...

Be the pack leader.
Your staffy has to know you run the show, sail the ship etc...
You dont have to abuse your dog, I did things like rewarding my staffy with treats after it did what I asked him to do.

Fourth...

Dogs attack due to Fear.
I purposely avoid being anxious or anything as digs do pick up your energies and if you're in fear they are more prone to be fearful themselves.
I eliminated this by allowing my dog off a lead from Pup.
So he'd be walked everywhere off a lead.
He's been attacked many times by other dogs and still, he's kept off a lead and is very comfortable with other dogs, cats, even squirrels at the park... As long as he's got his tennis ball - he's happy.

Fifth (final)

Mimick your dog.
Get on your fours, walk on the same level as your dog in your house.
Let it lick your ears (they do this to their fellow pups from birth)
You'll instantly form a connection with your Staff doing this, and also making similar sounds that it makes helps as well.
Using your hand, start to rub its ear, turning it also.. As it licks your ear.

Staffys have a bad rep as they look similar to American Pits but believe me... This scrotey bastard moved in near us a few years ago and he had one of these illegal dogs.
It was twice the size of our Staff, and would regularly try and attack other dogs. He quickly moved away from the area when his dog went for mine.

Otis
lGywZCe_d.jpg

Had dogs all my life.

New Foundlands, Yorkshire Terriers, Border Collie, Alsatian, Scottish Highland Terrier...

Best all round Dog for me has been the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Otis)
I specifically chose the breed based on his size and ability to go on long country runs/walks with me.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.