Ransomware Attack On 16 NHS Hospitals

Now spread to 74 Countries
Could the I.T. geeks on here explain to a layman WTF is going on?

Now spread to 74 Countries
Could the I.T. geeks on here explain to a layman WTF is going on?

A virus has been let loose probably via the flash utorrent trojan which allows other stuff to be downloaded including this virus that searches your system and encrypts all common files and system critical files. The only way your getting the decryption key is by paying up. Utorrent is a very popular torrent client that has flash ads in the user interface, yesterday it had a very nasty virus embedded in one of those ads that will have infected many pc's. These infected systems can themselves be held to ransom or used in an attacking nature as a base for sending phishing emails, taking the pc owners email contacts and sending stuff to them pretending to be the pc owner etc.

From someone who drills holes for a living i have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds impressive.
smb is a way to share drives/printers etc across networks, it often has vulnerabilities that are exploitable, and in this instance has been. It is the flash player of file sharing aka pretty insecure to anyone with a slight bit of determination.

A virus has been let loose probably via the flash utorrent trojan which allows other stuff to be downloaded including this virus that searches your system and encrypts all common files and system critical files. The only way your getting the decryption key is by paying up. Utorrent is a very popular torrent client that has flash ads in the user interface, yesterday it had a very nasty virus embedded in one of those ads that will have infected many pc's. These infected systems can themselves be held to ransom or used in an attacking nature as a base for sending phishing emails, taking the pc owners email contacts and sending stuff to them pretending to be the pc owner etc.
Sounds a bit more advanced than when I used to phish Habbo Hotel accounts as a fresh faced 14 year old.

Lol.

Sounds a bit more advanced than when I used to phish Habbo Hotel accounts as a fresh faced 14 year old.

Lol.
I don't associate with underworld criminal scum like you :-D

Heads will indeed roll, a patch was put out on March 14th, for the NHS not to be patched is poor form, it is considered critical in IT terms i.e. should be kept bang up to date. That system must be a right old mess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.