Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His official stats this year so far is 10 goals with 14 assists, which is extremely good. On top of that he's won 3 penalties(that were converted). We should all know he could EASILY add another 5 goals to this stat line, which would give him a stat line that is world class.

He has a bit of the Dzeko about him in that if he has time to think about it he can mess it up but ones like yesterday it's instinct

I Disagree, I think some of his best goals come when he's got time to think - Arsenal, West Ham, Bournemouth hattrick last year.

To me, the problem is when he's in a position where he could shoot or he could pass. He gets caught between the two and usually butchers whichever option he chooses. If he had more of a selfish streak, or more belief in his ability, he'd score 10 more a season.

Last edited:
I Disagree, I think some of his best goals come when he's got time to think - Arsenal, West Ham, Bournemouth hattrick last year.

The problem is when he's in a position where he could shoot or he could pass. He gets caught between the two and usually butchers whichever option he chooses. If he had more of a selfish streak, or more belief in his ability, he'd score 10 more a season.

Agree with that, this quote in reference to advice he gave to Sané spoke volumes to me about Sterling's lack of belief in himself

"if I had a shot like you I’d be shooting every minute".

Agree with that, this quote in reference to advice he gave to Sané spoke volumes to me about Sterling's lack of belief in himself

"if I had a shot like you I’d be shooting every minute".

I think Aguero being out of the team will help both him and Sané score more goals.

When there's a choice of pass to Sergio or go it alone, lots of our players choose to pass even if it's not the right option, and they need to get more goals themselves, get an appetite for it and some confidence.

I just looked it up and 5 of Sterling's 7 goals came when Sergio was not playing. (1vs West Ham, 1v Bournemouth(h), 1vBournemouth(a), 1vs Palace, 1v Arsenal).

Now that could just be a coincidence, it might not be enough to be statistical proof, but just from anecdotal evidence of watching him I think it's a big factor.

I want Aguero to stay around, but the other players need to view him as more of an equal, particularly when it comes to finishing, and maybe some time without him in the team, where they have to learn to take their own chances will drive up their confidence in front of goal and ultimately benefit the team when Aguero comes back in.

Last edited:
I think Aguero being out of the team will help both him and Sané score more goals.

When there's a choice of pass to Sergio or go it alone, lots of our players choose to pass even if it's not the right option, and they need to get more goals themselves, get an appetite for it and some confidence.

I just looked it up and 5 of Sterling's 7 goals came when Sergio was not playing. (1vs West Ham, 1v Bournemouth(h), 1vBournemouth(a), 1vs Palace, 1v Arsenal).

Now that could just be a coincidence, it might not be enough to be statistical proof, but just from anecdotal evidence of watching him I think it's a big factor.

I want Aguero to stay around, but the other players need to view him as more of an equal, particularly when it comes to finishing, and maybe some time without him in the team, where they have to learn to take their own chances will drive up their confidence in front of goal and ultimately benefit the team when Aguero comes back in.

You're not wrong imo, posted something in a similar vein a while ago.. 4 of Kev's 5 league goals and all of Silva's have come when Aguero hasn't been on the pitch too. Think with Jesus upfront players are more willing to make the runs into the box etc, as he is much more likely to look for them than Aguero is once the ball is played into them. So if players have that mentality suddenly goals are popping in from everyone

Last edited:
You're not wrong imo, posted something in a similar vain a while ago.. 4 of Kev's 5 league goals and all of Silva's have come when Aguero hasn't been on the pitch too. Think with Jesus upfront players are more willing to make the runs into the box etc, as he is much more likely to look for them than Aguero is once the ball is played into them. So if players have that mentality suddenly goals or popping in from everyone

Put all of those together and that is insane...Perhaps Txiki needs to put goal bonuses in a few contracts.

His official stats this year so far is 10 goals with 14 assists, which is extremely good. On top of that he's won 3 penalties(that were converted). We should all know he could EASILY add another 5 goals to this stat line, which would give him a stat line that is world class.
Yeah but other than that & his fantastic work rate, what does he bring to the team? Get rid I say.

You're not wrong imo, posted something in a similar vain a while ago.. 4 of Kev's 5 league goals and all of Silva's have come when Aguero hasn't been on the pitch too. Think with Jesus upfront players are more willing to make the runs into the box etc, as he is much more likely to look for them than Aguero is once the ball is played into them. So if players have that mentality suddenly goals or popping in from everyone

there's no dependency on Jesus like there is Kun, in the box every player we have defers to Kun. Means they often don't take on a better opportunity because they play to find him.

Best seasons we've had are where we've had 4 strikers competing up front and no-one's been guaranteed a spot (11/12 and 13/14). We've been a worse team with either Tevez or Kun when we've been reliant on them as the main striker. They look better, we look worse. Same for Madrid with Ronaldo for long spells, Messi for brief periods, United with Ibra, Chelsea were better when they had Anelka & Drogba than with just Didier, I think it's crucial and it's what we've lacked.

Really needs to start playing with his head. Doesn't pass when he should pass, doesn't run at the defender when he should, very poor decision making. I don't get it. He seemed to have sort all this out when the season began, now it seems like its back to the pellegrini era sterling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.