Ransomware Attack On 16 NHS Hospitals

That is absurd! There's no excuse to use Windows XP in this day and age on such crucial infastructure
I'll get pelters for this but why don't they keep their core infastructure on Linux/BSD? Free and far more secure than windows will ever be

It's arguable that the govt could have designed their own flawless OS with the money wasted on the NHS computer system which was 12 billion down the drain.

I know, I was appalled. I think user knowledge restricts them from using Linux
Perhaps, but if they were trained would it not save them money in the long term with having to upgrade windows every few years. Also Debian with cinnamon layered on top would get fairly close to windows I reckon and would be fairly solid

It's arguable that the govt could have designed their own flawless OS with the money wasted on the NHS computer system which was 12 billion down the drain.
Lol you're not wrong; I'm sure with 12 billion they could make a locked down Linux system that would be user friendly :)

I know, I was appalled. I think user knowledge restricts them from using Linux
You need very little knowledge in order to use Ubuntu these days. Gui for package managers so even the IT mouse clickers can install software.

The whole structure should be supported by having a real program of computer literacy (Not just a tickbox one) for anyone involved in retrieving or inputting information from an NHS terminal. Considering the amount of sensitive information stored online this should be foremost in their minds.

The whole structure should be supported by having a real program of computer literacy (Not just a tickbox one) for anyone involved in retrieving or inputting information from an NHS terminal. Considering the amount of sensitive information stored online this should be foremost in their minds.
The issue is that our government is largely incompetent and probably don't understand the difference between a web browser and the internet and are too arrogant to listen to IT people.
Until our government understands how computers work properly, core infastructure in this country regards to IT will always be below standard and behind the times

The issue is that our government is largely incompetent and probably don't understand the difference between a web browser and the internet and are too arrogant to listen to IT people.
Until our government understands how computers work properly, core infastructure in this country regards to IT will always be below standard and behind the times

If we consider that most people accessing the information are educated to degree level and barely know how to use any program other than Facebook and Word it shows we have a problem. And you're right, IT must be deemed to be something menial and an afterthought by the govt.

My Father-in-law works for a large financial company, and I know for a fact they still use XP...uh oh!

They have Win 10 phobia via Win 8/ 8.1

A LOT of companies are like this as it meant an expensive overhaul for any connecting software and a complaint that Windows were updating every few years to swell their pockets (um, it's a business?). The amount of people/ businesses bringing back their OS just cos they didn't understand it, was amazing, when I worked for Currys.

Now, they will just have to update and I expect a bump in sales for Windows.

So, just for you to understand how far behind the NHS is in software, we had Internet Explorer...

...11... installed last week!

I reckon all this will blow over and be forgotten and Jeremy (c)Hunt will inject no money into updating the system.

At any point.

If we consider that most people accessing the information are educated to degree level and barely know how to use any program other than Facebook and Word it shows we have a problem. And you're right, IT must be deemed to be something menial and an afterthought by the govt.
Precisely; it's not a difficult issue to fix, we just need to give it time, care and attention. People can't seem to get their heads round the fact that we need to make sure we are clued up in IT in the future on a public service level or incidents like this will be a frequent occurrence

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.