Ransomware Attack On 16 NHS Hospitals

I would but then at home and work, everything works as I like it and I know my way around it - if it ain't broke, I can't be arsed fixing it ;)
Nah I get that, for me it's just a hobby but when it's your line of work you just want your stuff to work and enjoy your downtime :)

Depending on which country they live in you could well get your wish, of course if it turns out to be a kid would you still wish this on them?
Define 'a kid'?

It's mostly 'kids' who carry out mass school shootings in America.

Exactly this. 7 will be obsolete soon and shows the biggest issue using a commercial OS; you're constantly having to spend millions to keep your systems up to date across the country with such a massive organisation like the NHS. The only real way around it is to bake your own OS or start using Linux or BSD instead
There is no 'NHS' IT though as a whole. It's mainly split into regional trusts and those trusts are responsible for their IT and in the main are outsourced to IT providers. A lot of those trusts are not on XP and have updated to windows 7. The whole story about this being the governments fault is not really true.

There is no 'NHS' IT though as a whole. It's mainly split into regional trusts and those trusts are responsible for their IT and in the main are outsourced to IT providers. A lot of those trusts are not on XP and have updated to windows 7. The whole story about this being the governments fault is not really true.

Apologies if incorrect but aren't they still subject to the same procurement rules nationally? Making local level solutions more difficult.

Government cuts to the NHS through underfunding the CCGs have led to immediate patient care being prioritised and only short term fixes being tried rather than long term solutions.

I presume there was some deal with dell? Given every place I've worked at uses their hardware.

The quickest most reliable system I used was a custom built dos program built in the 80s! (I think it was pcis but this was 10 years ago) But all we could do on that was see blood results and order Med's!

Now we expect to be able to look at scans in high detail and be able to relay it to someone in a different hospital miles away in real time.

A custom built o/s sounds great and surely that's the solution but how easy would it be to make sure every new scanner for investigations is compatible in the future?

Sorry for rambling on, I have little understanding of how the whole systems work.

I am trying to push forward technology use at a GP level to enable better communication with patients and reduce the need for appointments e.g. Quick questions/Results sent by email etc
But I think this whole fiasco is going to even make staff even more wary.

Could anyone suggest anywhere I can educate myself on security for IT rather than just don't click on attachments/links you don't recognise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if incorrect but aren't they still subject to the same procurement rules nationally? Making local level solutions more difficult.

Government cuts to the NHS through underfunding the CCGs have led to immediate patient care being prioritised and only short term fixes being tried rather than long term solutions.

I presume there was some deal with dell? Given every place I've worked at uses their hardware.

The quickest most reliable system I used was a custom built dos program built in the 80s! (I think it was pcis but this was 10 years ago) But all we could do on that was see blood results and order Med's!

Now we expect to be able to look at scans in high detail and be able to relay it to someone in a different hospital miles away in real time.

A custom built o/s sounds great and surely that's the solution but how easy would it be to make sure every new scanner for investigations is compatible in the future?

Sorry for rambling on, I have little understanding of how the whole systems work.

I am trying to push forward technology use at a GP level to enable better communication with patients and reduce the need for appointments e.g. Quick questions/Results sent by email etc
But I think this whole fiasco is going to even make staff even more wary.

Could anyone suggest anywhere I can educate myself on security for IT rather than just don't click on attachments/links you don't recognise!!

Recently I've been heavily involved in an outsource of numerous NHS trusts. They are negotiated locally and not by an over arching agreement at a national level through the government. Part of that deal includes upgrading the desktop estate but the trusts I have dealt with are largely off xp. The kit they use that you refer to will be supplied by the IT provider, so depends who that supplier is and what contracts they have with the likes of dell or HP.

Recently I've been heavily involved in an outsource of numerous NHS trusts. They are negotiated locally and not by an over arching agreement at a national level through the government. Part of that deal includes upgrading the desktop estate but the trusts I have dealt with are largely off xp. The kit they use that you refer to will be supplied by the IT provider, so depends who that supplier is and what contracts they have with the likes of dell or HP.

Cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.