Pablo Zabaleta

Oh Pablo Zabaleta
He is the fuckin' man
He comes from Argentina
He's 'arder than Jaap Star
He plays in claret and blue
For Slaven Bilic's men
And when . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just doesn't sound anywhere near, does it?

Wonderful, wonderful player and a terrific guy!

I honestly can't remember, can't have been no more than 15k there.

Lake's testimonial against United was in 1996, and we drew 2-2. I think you're on about Ken Barnes testimonial in 1992, which we lost 2-1 to United. It was on a Friday night I think?

Lake's testimonial against United was in 1996, and we drew 2-2. I think you're on about Ken Barnes testimonial in 1992, which we lost 2-1 to United. It was on a Friday night I think?

Lakey's was October 1997 I think - played on a Sunday the day after we lost at Ipswich

Ian Brightwell had a testimonial against Sunderland in 1998. It was played in the middle of July and there were less than 10,000 there from memory

I remember exactly where I was when I heard we'd signed him. In a packed Wetherspoons in Sunderland ahead of our game there, when the yellow SSN ticker started scrolling across the screen announcing that we'd signed him from Espanyol. Looking back, it's astonishing how he has managed to establish himself as a modern-day club legend, given how much the club has been transformed in the past 9 seasons. Not only that, it took him a fair while to cement his place in the team and show us just how good a player he is and with the huge turnover of players in those early years of the takeover, he could've easily been moved on. When Boateng signed, I thought Zab would be on his way and even during the 11-12 title season, it was Micah who got the nod the majority of the time but Zab managed to nail down the spot in the last 10 games or so.
Its weird to think back now but I think most blues were gutted that we had sold Corluka , Zabba was signed as his replacement and that first game against Chelsea didn't bode well for that decision

It turned out OK in the end....

Last edited:
So, does Zaba get a start and the armband against WBA or does he just come on for 5 minutes at the end?

That's the one, Ken Barnes. Well remembered old lad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.