Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Com'n, the whole point surely is that this was another big step in the direction of altering his game to suit the demands of his manager, who was visibly delighted with it.

Sergio is a talented player who really hasn't maximised on his potential, despite his achievements, so he can still develop as a player if he wants to and make the most of his natural gifts.
I've just finished watching the full game and logging everything he did. I'll hold my hands up and admit that describing him as poor was wrong. But neither was he MOTM as some are claiming. That was KDB by a country mile.

Checking my notes and the good bits were:
  • The assist for Yaya's goal
  • His involvement in the other two goals.
  • 5th minute - failed to control a difficult ball but won it back and turned the West Brom defender beautifully
  • 14th minute - chases down over-hit corner and keeps it in
  • 16th minute - does well to win ball and feeds Sane perfectly who fails to get his shot on target. That really should have been an assist for him.
  • 27th minute - goes deep, picks up ball from Yaya and does a nice lay-off to Silva.
  • 39th minute - Nice 1-2 with Silva and hits good shot but straight at Foster.
  • 46th minute - powerful run from about 30 yds out and pulled ball back
  • 55th minute - back in our half to win ball
  • 72nd minute - shot deflected for corner
  • 76th minute - nice chest down to Sane from a Jesus long ball although it's a bit too far in front of him.
  • 81st minute - lovely cross-field ball to Jesus that he just fails to control.
  • 91st minute - Kolarov wins ball in our half and breaks forward. Sergio picks it up and makes good run into box (but weak end product).
The less good bits were:
  • Poor control on a few occasions and lost possession too easily a couple of times.
  • A few times where he needed to show a bit more commitment to close a West Brom player down and win the ball. That's one area where Jesus wins hands down over him as he's really strong and determined. To give an example, in the 64th minute Sergio receives the ball about 30 yards from goal but loses it too easily. He then tries to win it back and there are 3 chances to close the player down and put a foot in but he simply doesn't show enough commitment or desire.
  • There were at least two occasions where Sane was caught offside but, if he had been on-side, Sergio wouldn't have been in the right place to receive the ball.
  • Sometimes he seems to be not quite aware of what's happening around him. There a few times where he should have been in a better position to prevent a pass or cut off the channel but reacted a second too late. In the 49th minute KDB played the ball towards him & it wasn't near enough. Kolarov won the ball back but it broke to a West Brom player and Sergio was too slow to close him down. Right at the end of the first half, Silva plays a beaut of a high ball into the box for Kolarov, who's racing in but Sergio isn't aware and gets in his way a bit.
I'd give Sergio a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 overall but I'd put him behind Sane who I rated 8/10 and maybe 8.5 for Jesus (KDB being a 9 or 9.5/10 in my view). Silva had one of his quieter games by his standards but was still very effective and I'd rate him about the same as Sergio. So he wasn't anywhere near as terrible as I initially thought but he wasn't quite as good as some others are making out. He's working harder, dropping deeper and some of his link-up play was a cut above what we've seen from him before. He's clearly trying very hard to change his natural game and certainly deserves credit for that but there are still times he switches off a bit. I think the odds of him being here next season are tipping in his favour.

The problem with that is that it doesn't take account of the running off the ball that a player does. Apart from everything else, Sergio was making runs to distract the opposing defence and open up space in front of them for teammates who either had the ball or were just about to get it.
By the way, for what it's worth, I'd assess him at about 7/10 too. But that's astonishing, when you think that this is a new role for him – he's been cock of the roost, and has never been required to play in this way – which he's still learning. And on the basis of last night, learning bloody effectively.
I dont think he's in a shop window at all. I'd be more astonished about him leaving than virtually everyone else of the old guard, with the possible exception of Silva.

By the way, on the question of goals. I've been trying to hunt down the PL's top scorer when all competitions this season are combined. Last time I looked, it was him, comfortably, but I can't track it down. I note in passing, though, that according to the BBC site his goal rate per minutes played in the PL alone is marginally better than Sanchez and Lukaku (although Kane takes that hands down over everyone).

Overall tallies and strike rate:

Aguero 31/111
Kane 28/107
Ibra 28/137
Sanchez 28/145
Lukaku 25/134
Costa 21/159

City career by season:

rlm5mv.jpg

I thought Sergio was excellent last night and thoroughly deserved a goal, which he unfortunately didn't get.

The shame for me is that due to his stocky build he has lost that additional yard of pace / acceleration that meant he could dip his shoulder, ride a challenge and let fly with a shot at goal - if he could get himself a bit leaner and get that yard back it'd be awesome.

Christ on a bike I've just nearly choked on my fucking butty reading that pmsl.

Marvin special that one even by his standards.
Explain how a City side with 70% possession throughout a season can struggle to turn that possession into clear cut chances and goals. It's not down to KDB and Silva's lack of creativity. I genuinely believe that Aguero is not quite as sharp as he was when City first signed him. I don't think he is as quick. When was the last time you saw, Silva or KDB play a little angled ball through the defence and Aguero race on to it and slot it past the keeper?

No surprise that when Jesus plays, City's goal output goes through the roof.

If you don't want to see it, far enough. But the evidence is there for you. he's been here for 6 seasons now. His goals to game ratio has dipped significantly this season despite being our main striker for almost the entire season. And as soon as the new boy plays he outguns him significantly. Explain also why he has been dropped by Argentina

I hope he stays at City because he's still a very effective player, but he's no longer the best striker in Europe

Overall tallies and strike rate:

Aguero 31/111
Kane 28/107
Ibra 28/137
Sanchez 28/145
Lukaku 25/134
Costa 21/159

City career by season:

rlm5mv.jpg
I've just been looking at that myself. Look at the return of league goals. CL qualifiers and Cups against lower league opponents should be ignored as they are a distortion

I've just finished watching the full game and logging everything he did. I'll hold my hands up and admit that describing him as poor was wrong. But neither was he MOTM as some are claiming. That was KDB by a country mile.

Checking my notes and the good bits were:
  • The assist for Yaya's goal
  • His involvement in the other two goals.
  • 5th minute - failed to control a difficult ball but won it back and turned the West Brom defender beautifully
  • 14th minute - chases down over-hit corner and keeps it in
  • 16th minute - does well to win ball and feeds Sane perfectly who fails to get his shot on target. That really should have been an assist for him.
  • 27th minute - goes deep, picks up ball from Yaya and does a nice lay-off to Silva.
  • 39th minute - Nice 1-2 with Silva and hits good shot but straight at Foster.
  • 46th minute - powerful run from about 30 yds out and pulled ball back
  • 55th minute - back in our half to win ball
  • 72nd minute - shot deflected for corner
  • 76th minute - nice chest down to Sane from a Jesus long ball although it's a bit too far in front of him.
  • 81st minute - lovely cross-field ball to Jesus that he just fails to control.
  • 91st minute - Kolarov wins ball in our half and breaks forward. Sergio picks it up and makes good run into box (but weak end product).
The less good bits were:
  • Poor control on a few occasions and lost possession too easily a couple of times.
  • A few times where he needed to show a bit more commitment to close a West Brom player down and win the ball. That's one area where Jesus wins hands down over him as he's really strong and determined. To give an example, in the 64th minute Sergio receives the ball about 30 yards from goal but loses it too easily. He then tries to win it back and there are 3 chances to close the player down and put a foot in but he simply doesn't show enough commitment or desire.
  • There were at least two occasions where Sane was caught offside but, if he had been on-side, Sergio wouldn't have been in the right place to receive the ball.
  • Sometimes he seems to be not quite aware of what's happening around him. There a few times where he should have been in a better position to prevent a pass or cut off the channel but reacted a second too late. In the 49th minute KDB played the ball towards him & it wasn't near enough. Kolarov won the ball back but it broke to a West Brom player and Sergio was too slow to close him down. Right at the end of the first half, Silva plays a beaut of a high ball into the box for Kolarov, who's racing in but Sergio isn't aware and gets in his way a bit.
I'd give Sergio a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 overall but I'd put him behind Sane who I rated 8/10 and maybe 8.5 for Jesus (KDB being a 9 or 9.5/10 in my view). Silva had one of his quieter games by his standards but was still very effective and I'd rate him about the same as Sergio. So he wasn't anywhere near as terrible as I initially thought but he wasn't quite as good as some others are making out. He's working harder, dropping deeper and some of his link-up play was a cut above what we've seen from him before. He's clearly trying very hard to change his natural game and certainly deserves credit for that but there are still times he switches off a bit. I think the odds of him being here next season are tipping in his favour.
When you say not MOTM like some are saying, you mean the vast majority who watched the game? I'd be interested to know why you rated Sane so highly as well. Was it his booking for diving, or his two corners that went straight out of play, or him running it out of play trying to beat his man a couple of times?

Explain how a City side with 70% possession throughout a season can struggle to turn that possession into clear cut chances and goals. It's not down to KDB and Silva's lack of creativity. I genuinely believe that Aguero is not quite as sharp as he was when City first signed him. I don't think he is as quick. When was the last time you saw, Silva or KDB play a little angled ball through the defence and Aguero race on to it and slot it past the keeper?

No surprise that when Jesus plays, City's goal output goes through the roof.

If you don't want to see it, far enough. But the evidence is there for you. he's been here for 6 seasons now. His goals to game ratio has dipped significantly this season despite being our main striker for almost the entire season. And as soon as the new boy plays he outguns him significantly. Explain also why he has been dropped by Argentina

I hope he stays at City because he's still a very effective player, but he's no longer the best striker in Europe

His goals to games ratio is one of the best it has been with us and one more goal would take him to his record tally. I thought he had a better game than Sane and Jesus yesterday (and clearly most others did as well). He perhaps doesn't quite have the turn of speed that he used to but if he can add the kind of creativity he showed yesterday, he could end up a better all round player than he ever has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.