General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the Mail loves the new cuddly conservatism....

_96113184_5f669aff-869e-4acf-b227-99eeb9d486f9.jpg

"Unashamedly moral", putting the needs of "ordinary" working families first, a better deal for "mainstream" Britain.

It takes a special type of chutzpah to put the word "honest" next to a picture of May.

Who says words don't matter.
For someone who hates the Daily Mail you certainly want people who don't read it to know what they are saying.

For someone who hates the Daily Mail you certainly want people who don't read it to know what they are saying.
It's mentioned on virtually every page of this and the election thread. I'm starting to think they're employed by it,
with a brief of mentioning it every time someone disagrees with them. As they say, there's no such thing as bad
publicity, and this publication gets shedloads of publicity by the very people who profess to hate it.
No wonder the Tories are a fortnight ahead in the polls, every fucker's reading it now.

It's mentioned on virtually every page of this and the election thread. I'm starting to think they're employed by it,
with a brief of mentioning it every time someone disagrees with them. As they say, there's no such thing as bad
publicity, and this publication gets shedloads of publicity by the very people who profess to hate it.
No wonder the Tories are a fortnight ahead in the polls, every fucker's reading it now.
"But look, look at what the Daily FAIL is saying now, those Tory sycophants!"

Everyone else:
i-dont-care.jpg

We don't read it, but they want to draw our attention to what their opinion is? I really don't see the point of constantly bombarding us with headlines from a paper few of us read, respect or take heed from. The only reason I can think of is becuase they believe we've all been duped by reading and believing headlines from the Mail as the explanation as to why Labour's support is tanking publicly.

The reality that the Daily Mail has had nothing to do with is simply too inconceivable as that leaves them with the reality that Labour are just...not...relatable.

The interesting thing about the Conservative manifesto and May's pitch is that there's been an apparent re-polarisation of politics. In the recent past the main parties were either significantly to the right or to the left, with no middle ground. May's apparently moved the Tories towards the left (although whether that's her actual intention remains to be seen). Previously Thatcher moved politics very much to the right, with the Labour party following her. Corbyn, even if he doesn't win, has moved the debate very much leftwards.

This is mostly because of Brexit where even this hard left Labour have moved right although I am still unsure of exactly what they want to achieve. Labour voters have a dilemma on Brexit and that is whether to trust Corbyn to not relent on everything or they may have to take their vote elsewhere. May moving to the left is completely about appealing to those people who both want a strong Brexit response but whom also traditionally vote Labour.

She already stands to hoover up the vast majority of UKIP votes and if she can grab at least some appreciable percentage of Labour voters who are torn between trusting Corbyn then she stands to win big no matter what she does between now and June.

Labour are peddling the hope campaign and they are trying desperately to take things away from Brexit but it is the big issue of the day unfortunately and I imagine this election will be a very simple decision on who trusts who to do the best in the negotiations. The silent majority will unfortunately sway towards Brexit on their decision and on other issues the status quo will remain. I think to many such a huge change to this Labour lot will pose too great a risk with the added risk Brexit may pose in the near future.

We don't read it, but they want to draw our attention to what their opinion is? I really don't see the point of constantly bombarding us with headlines from a paper few of us read, respect or take heed from.

Because if anyone disagrees with their worldview, they can't possibly have formed these reactionary views,
unless they've been avidly devouring the the Daily Mail.
It can't possibly be that they might have a point.
Can it?

Because if anyone disagrees with their worldview, they can't possibly have formed these reactionary views,
unless they've been avidly devouring the the Daily Mail.
It can't possibly be that they might have a point.
Can it?
We...we were lied to...

I've seen the light! Brexit was a mistake! May is evil! All hail Corby, the saviour of us all!

Imagine if we had never read that Daily Mail headline, we'd still be wandering around in our ignorance.

As someone who voted to leave the EU my intention was to hold my nose and vote Tory this time in order to protect Brexit as I saw the tories as the party most likely to deliver a true Brexit.

The news on paying for home care in the event of contracting a disease not on the approved list (ie: a 'dementia tax') has however changed my mind.

I am now voting Labour.

The tories spend your whole life telling you to "save hard and provide for your family". My parents have done exactly that as have both me and my siblings. Now I'm being told by these same tories that if I (or my parents) are unlucky enough to be a victim of one of these exempt illnesses it's tough shit mate. We'll take your house and your savings to pay for your care. Despite paying in to the system your whole life.

It's sick and it's immoral.

Don't get sick. Don't get old. Don't end up in any sort of need. You might well have paid in for decades but instead of using your money to provide for you in desperate circumstances we'll use it to give a huge tax cut to the 5% who can afford to send their kids to private school. We'll use it to give a huge tax cut to big business who already don't pay the full amount.

"Thanks for your Brexit vote you ignorant prole now don't bother us again"

Scum.
I can really understand your view - I am more than a bit surprised to see May bring this forward in the manifesto. It must reflect both her confidence in winning the election and also her determination (you may feel that I am being generous here) to be able to get things through the LORDS. It is hardly possible for the LORDS, flawed function though it is, to knock back things that were set out in a manifesto.

I am in a position where I could well be impacted - Dad has his own home and in his 90s, the in-laws have theirs and are in their late 80s.

That said, having done a lot of work for DH and NHS I have seen first hand the angst of the executives seeking to plan transformations of services to address the major challenges of health & social care. It is a simple fact something difficult will need to be done - tinkering is no answer, this is certainly an area where whatever decisions are taken they will be unpopular with some section(s) of the electorate.

The suspicious part of me thinks that May is being deliberate/callous in her approach here. Where I live, in the SE, all housing is way over the £100k threshold - but there is no way this bad news will lead to the return of any party other than conservatives. In areas where May is targeting vulnerable Labour seats, May's policy will have less impact and there may even be a sense of - well that will teach those southerners...

So this introduces a major risk for those suffering certain illnesses - it is very unpopular, certainly with me - people will take steps to avoid the issue by transferring assets to their children earlier - which makes me further question why she risks the backlash.

But on the other hand - what if you vote Labour, the only other credible alternative? The answer is that you are going to get 'across the board' increases in Inheritance Tax - large rises in Capital Gains Tax - across the board and therefore impacting everyone that has assets beyond their punitively lowered threaholds.

The grass is definitely not greener on the Labour side and I am surprised the shitiness of the Labour position is not more widely picked up on.

We don't read it, but they want to draw our attention to what their opinion is? I really don't see the point of constantly bombarding us with headlines from a paper few of us read, respect or take heed from. The only reason I can think of is becuase they believe we've all been duped by reading and believing headlines from the Mail as the explanation as to why Labour's support is tanking publicly.
I think that it is this year's version of those that don't hold the same views as me must be thick.

"........If you do not agree with me then you clearly must be a Daily Mail reader
..." - fuck me desperate stuff, they just embarrass themselves

I can really understand your view - I am more than a bit surprised to see May bring this forward in the manifesto. It must reflect both her confidence in winning the election and also her determination (you may feel that I am being generous here) to be able to get things through the LORDS. It is hardly possible for the LORDS, flawed function though it is, to knock back things that were set out in a manifesto.

I am in a position where I could well be impacted - Dad has his own home and in his 90s, the in-laws have theirs and are in their late 80s.

That said, having done a lot of work for DH and NHS I have seen first hand the angst of the executives seeking to plan transformations of services to address the major challenges of health & social care. It is a simple fact something difficult will need to be done - tinkering is no answer, this is certainly an area where whatever decisions are taken they will be unpopular with some section(s) of the electorate.

The suspicious part of me thinks that May is being deliberate/callous in her approach here. Where I live, in the SE, all housing is way over the £100k threshold - but there is no way this bad news will lead to the return of any party other than conservatives. In areas where May is targeting vulnerable Labour seats, May's policy will have less impact and there may even be a sense of - well that will teach those southerners...

So this introduces a major risk for those suffering certain illnesses - it is very unpopular, certainly with me - people will take steps to avoid the issue by transferring assets to their children earlier - which makes me further question why she risks the backlash.

But on the other hand - what if you vote Labour, the only other credible alternative? The answer is that you are going to get 'across the board' increases in Inheritance Tax - large rises in Capital Gains Tax - across the board and therefore impacting everyone that has assets beyond their punitively lowered threaholds.

The grass is definitely not greener on the Labour side and I am surprised the shitiness of the Labour position is not more widely picked up on.

I'm genuinely in a pickle this election.

I detest the tories, am a kind of natural Labour (old Labour) voter, but believe passionately (and have done for 40 years) in the right of this country to be free and independent of the European Union.

The Labour Party I grew up voting for was of a similar position re the EU and I am certain that JC is a natural euro sceptic but he made a poor miscalculation last year in coming out for remain, in part I believe because he believed - wrongly as it turns out - that doing so would unify the party behind him.

If it was up to him I'm convinced he would be pro Brexit but as his party has been hijacked by right wing blairites over the last 2 decades or so I have little faith in the Labour Party seeing Brexit through if elected.

I can't and won't vote Tory. I see no point in the lib dems and ukip are hateful.

I was of the opinion that I should "vote Tory this time to guarantee Brexit and go back to labour next time after we have left" but I don't think I can do it. I look at them and other than a few of them I see privileged selfish oafs who care not one jot about me and mine.

On a side note did you see QT last night? I now have a fairly enormous crush on Angela Rayner. And that Patel woman is a waste of a gorgeous face in a hateful mind.

I'm conflicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.