Who's the greatest ?

Why Merlin is better than Ozil and Hazard. Ozil took a year to settle, played well for 18 months and then noticeably faded. Hazard went missing all of last season. Merlin never has a bad run of form - let alone a bad season - at worst he is 6/10 and that's very rare. Gary Neville calls him the Prem's Messi and certainly the best. Incredible pass completion rate - mostly forward passes through small gaps. Same goal strike rate as Iniesta and 30 goals for Spain in 110 where he has team mates who create chances for him.

It was a truly horrific injury - burst blood vessels, several ligaments torn and a massively swollen knee. Colin came back (god knows how) with limited movement and played at full back. From what I've read, even with today's medical technology, there would be no guarantee of proper ligament repairs - the damage was so bad. Colin never believed that Martin Buchan deliberately set out to harm him, but Buchan never got in touch with him to see how he was - something that hurt him.

How good was Colin ? Box-to-box - used to run further than any other player in the league, but he had rapid pace as well. Think of the Yaya surge, now think of a smaller version of him making that surge numerous times in every game. Supremely skilled, good in the air and with a shot as powerful as the Peter Lorimers of the league. With a tiny number of exceptions, hardly any players of the 60s and 70s would be suited to today's game - good players yes, but generally not as athletic as they are now despite extensive training. If we could travel in time and relocate Colin to today's Prem, he would be equally as good. Like Martin Peters (the late arriving/ghost into the box midfielder from 66), he was ahead of his time. He would be as vital to the current City team as he was in the 60s and 70s.

I saw him play for a City Legends V ICI over 35s team twenty-odd years ago close up. The King would have been in his late 40s at the time. He was pinging the ball 40, 50 and 60 yards to Peter Barnes with unbelievable consistent accuracy without being able to flex his knee properly. Generally, a shy bloke who shunned the limelight.
I remember watching a "Superstars" episode that he appeared in. The final event was a 600m race, with the competitors handicapped according to ability, and the former Olympic 400m Hurdles winner, David Hemery, always started about 70m back from the line, and generally won. Colin was on scratch, and at the end of the race, which Colin won, Hemery was still 70m behind! City's sprint coach was a guy called Brian Green, the British 100m champion. It was rumoured that Colin used to beat him regularly.

That's why he was known as Nijinsky - he could have been an Olympic athlete.

He's still my all time hero, although some of the current side are also serious contenders, all of which have been mentioned frequently. He would fit into the current squad (or any squad over the years) in the same way that Yaya does now, but be far more consistent. In terms of skill, Silva has it, and in terms of goal scoring, it can only be Aguerooooooooooooo. Sorry, Franny.

I have been mulling this over for a couple of days,so my view is based on being an old git.
King Colin was the dogs bollocks, but as some one has said is that based on young eyes, however the you tude vids do not lie.
Then I'm stuck between Yaya, Merlin and Vinny.
My vote goes with Colin.

David Silva for me. In the most successful period in our recent history he is quite simply our most important player. His contribution in terms of assits and chances created and a few goals thrown in too is unquestionable, but much more than that is the fact he controlls games, single handedly. The recent 0 - 0 home game with Stoke reminded me (not that I needed it) just how good he is. He came on as a second half sub and no one could get near him, he ran the game from the moment he came on. The other players on the pitch were merely supporting cast in the David Silva show.

I'm too young to have seen the Bell, Lee, Summerbee era team play but I respect their achievements. Going back further than that Billy Meredith etc... as a kid Kinkladze was my hero and I'll always have a soft spot for him and the excitement he brought to the club during very dark days. Silva though, in a team of star players still stands out for me as the greatest to pull on the blue shirt. Honourable mentions to Kompany, Toure and Aguero of course.

Best player ... David Silva. Colin Bell was just before my time so never had the opportunity to see him play.

Favourite player ... Michel Vonk. We had a magical experience together at Junior Blues at Maine Road once which i'll never forget but i'm sure he has tried hard to lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.