Rate this season

The club's expectations don't change season by season. Every year we invest several hundred million into our first team and every year we expect a return on that of a title challenge. Let's be frank - this squad was good enough to win the league and it didn't.

Every year in August we expect to challenge for the title and every May if we don't, we shouldn't start making those excuses for failure
Ours do change as they should, we aren't at Barca's or Bayern's level yet and we play in a very competitive league that has swung in different directions every season. When we are winning the league consistently then we can say not winning it is a massive disappointment, nobody is doing that in this league anymore though it's an important difference.

We aren't the only ones spending, other teams can close the gap no matter what we do, they're spending too. Chelsea can afford go out and spend big this season if they want or feel they have to for example.

Just to add this which I added via an edit since you replied to this:

A top 4 finish in this league surely gets a manager at least 5/10, think otherwise? Look at Chelsea(last season obviously) and Arsenal and their squads... is it as easy as some are making out here? It's not, this isn't Spain or Germany there's some serious cash being spent and more importantly some top squads in our top6 in terms of talent that can win points for their team.

Last edited:
We aren't the only ones spending, other teams can close the gap no matter what we do, they're spending too.

Just to add this which I added via an edit since you replied to this:

A top 4 finish in this league surely gets a manager at least 5/10, think otherwise? Look at Chelsea and Arsenal and their squads... is it as easy as some are making out here? It's not, this isn't Spain or Germany.

No because we're talking about the basic expectation of a season. You seem to suggest that top four is that benchmark. I'm saying the benchmark is a title challenge.

And the constant dismissal of the challenge in Spain and Germany is really dumb.

this squad was good enough to win the league and it didn't.

I'd put us as the 3rd best squad based on players available for most of the season. Finishing 3rd was more or less as I expected. A semi-final in one domestic cup (we pretty much binned the other) and a bit unlucky against Monaco in the CL.

I would have put last season at a 5 but have enjoyed this season much more.

Hoping for a good window and a 9 or 10 rating next season.

No because we're talking about the basic expectation of a season. You seem to suggest that top four is that benchmark. I'm saying the benchmark is a title challenge.

And the constant dismissal of the challenge in Spain and Germany is really dumb.
It's dumb to suggest there's a top 6 like ours in Spain or Germany... compare the managers' CVs and the players' CVs for each team(the whole squad top to bottom, no cherry picking) in the top 6 for each domestic league, compare their spend in the last 3 seasons too while you're at it and have a think about it. It's dumb to dismiss Chelsea's squad, Liverpool's squad and Arsenal's squad in the recent seasons they have failed to make top4 with experienced coaches who have won things and say "It's no big deal to get top4... barely an achievement".

So yes I'm still pretty happy to say that's at least worth a 5/10 with the squad we've had available(injuries, suspensions and all), extra points for some of the signings we've made looking like great choices Gundogan, Sané, Gabby Jesus(I want to put Stones in there too but you can't argue with these ones) the progress we've made in terms of adapting to the new style and the performances in Europe push it up to a 7/10 for me. If we'd have finished with a sense that we're in trouble going into next season or regressing then it would be different but I genuinely expect us to push on, I'm feeling very optimistic and positive going into next season.

Our expectations should have been different because this was not a typical season for us we had a new manager come in to a squad that was nowhere near challenging the season before, this was due to a bad transfer policy that saw us rely on too many players way past their peak and signing too many "bad fits"(to put it nicely) that we are still struggling to get rid of. Nobody was rectifying all that in one window.

As I said my expectations are different for next season, I expect much more, I expect us strengthen where we need to in the summer(this is where Pep can go into the season with a squad that feels more like his own), to challenge for the league if not win it and I expect silverware(nothing short of an FA Cup) and to build on our performances in Europe this season.

Last edited:
I thought the comments about City having a title-winning squad are ridiculous, but then last August I thought we would challenge.

Having been through the season it became painfully obvious that our squad was very unbalanced. We have some players who are fairly close to retirement and no recognised goalkeeper. The goalkeeping situation was self-inflicted perhaps but a genuine attempt to bring a top class keeper in. I don't see how anyone can have gone through this season and see how we could have won the title - not with the absence of Kompany and then the injury to the delayed acquisition of Jesus.

I wouldn't swap with Chelsea etc as I think we also are not far off having a top side. Just 3-4 players in key positions and we'll be there.

Pellegrini finished with 66 points. We ended up on 78. But come on, we're playing Navas or Fernandinho at right back for a reason, and we have a major goalkeeping problem.

Chelsea finished the season saying goodbye to their leader and captain Terry, but he was not a fundamental part of our team. At City, at the start of the season, Zabaleta and Clichy were fundamental to us. We finish the season, and already both are gone, and their deputies in those positions are Sagna, who may go as well, and Kolarov who is also old and maybe a year away from going. How do you mount a title challenge with no full backs?

Unsustainable argument although at the same time I think you can easily claim that with 3-4 signings,the rebuilding job will be complete. We improved by 12 points this season. Getting closer, but still vital additions required.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.