Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Writing is on the wall for Sterling, with him being dropped for the last part of the season and Benardo Silva playing majority of the season at RW. Sterling really improved his end product this year, but seems Pep is still not happy with him and I wouldn't be aswell. I began to like the kid after his terrible first season, but we are in a results business and Pep can't wait for Sterling to develop a touch, one-touch pass and good control in tight places. He's amazing when there is space behind, but poor when there isn't.

What? He was a contender for player of the season until he tired towards the end. He was ran into the ground where as sane didn't really start until halfway through the season. Both will be involved heavily next season.

It really does my fucking head in that City fans seem to hold sterling to a much higher standard than everyone else in the squad.

Last edited:
Writing is on the wall for Sterling, with him being dropped for the last part of the season and Benardo Silva playing majority of the season at RW. Sterling really improved his end product this year, but seems Pep is still not happy with him and I wouldn't be aswell. I began to like the kid after his terrible first season, but we are in a results business and Pep can't wait for Sterling to develop a touch, one-touch pass and good control in tight places. He's amazing when there is space behind, but poor when there isn't.

What exactly makes you think Pep is unhappy with him?

I mean there's been absolutely no sign whatsoever that he's unhappy with Sterling at all.

What? He was a contender for player of the season until he tired towards the end. He was ran into the ground where as sane didn't really start until halfway through the season. Both will be involved heavily next season.

It really does my fucking head in that City fans seem to hold sterling to a much higher standard than everyone else on the squad.

i agree, hes becoming a scapegoat. hes been brilliant most of the season. as soon as he doesnt play well, you see posters saying things like ' hes not good enough' ' no technique' or he'll never be world class....

he will play plenty of times next season and will start lots of games too.

i agree, hes becoming a scapegoat. hes been brilliant most of the season. as soon as he doesnt play well, you see posters saying things like ' hes not good enough' ' no technique' or he'll never be world class....

he will play plenty of times next season and will start lots of games too.

Been a long time fan, just joined the forum, been lurking for a few years. The thing is, with Sterling, people can't seem to talk about him rationally. It is either he is shit and or he is going to be Neymar and Hazard level. You can't criticize him or praise him, without either side berating each other. Sterling is a good player when he has space to run into, but when you take that away he really struggles.

Sterling has 2 traits which make him stand out, his pace (Only Sane is quicker) and his intelligence (No winger in our team comes close to that). He has an immaculate ability to make runs and drag defenders out of space. However, he also has his limitations, when I say his technique is not good enough, he is still better than most players, but that doesn't say much, for where we want to be, you have to one of the best in the world at keeping the ball in your position. I have never seen a player at City for past 8 years fail to make simple passes or fumble when the ball is at his feet as much as Sterling does. He also came out and said last year, he couldn't adapt to the one-two touch game Pellegrini had. So when I say, writing is on the wall, I don't mean, ship him out in a box of tomatoes tomorrow morning, rather he is not going to have a nailed on place like he did this year. He really needs to improve the way he shoots the ball and his balance in very tight spaces. As for the end of the season, he was ineffective when Jesus Navas was overlapping him. Just for the record, I think he was top 3 players for us this season as a whole but would also classify him as the weakest link in our attack. You may disagree with me, and that is completely ok, but I really hope the talk of Sterling isn't so black and white. People need to give him credit but recognize his shortcomings.

Last edited:
I think he was top 3 players for us this season as a whole but would also classify him as the weakest link in our attack.
Sounds a bit like an oxymoron, but I 100% agree with it. Best player of the season, but his perspectives are not so bright. I think Raz's place as a starter is under serious threat, with more options in N8 role we'll have an opportunity to integrate KdB better, RM/RW is probably the best area for him. B.Silva also may start there while being moulded into a full-time eight, as RW is a familiar position (with an athletic fullback like Walker the width in attack won't be a problem). Hope Sterling proves me wrong, but I don't see him starting ahead of both Silvas and better integrated KdB. For those who think we'll play with 2 wingers in every game: I don't remember Guardiola caring about symmetry, using pure winger on one side and a playmaker on another is a norm for him, there are numerous examples from his Barca days.
Also, there are rumours that we're after another forward/winger.
My prediction is that if Raz doesn't improve drastically, he'll steadily become a rotation player. Still very valuable, but not so crucial as this season.

Last season started so well but he finished weakly

On a plus point for him, he's still very wrong. Does he have the drive to be the best? We'll find out. Under pressure, can he respond?

Sounds a bit like an oxymoron, but I 100% agree with it. Best player of the season, but his perspectives are not so bright. I think Raz's place as a starter is under serious threat, with more options in N8 role we'll have an opportunity to integrate KdB better, RM/RW is probably the best area for him. B.Silva also may start there while being moulded into a full-time eight, as RW is a familiar position (with an athletic fullback like Walker the width in attack won't be a problem). Hope Sterling proves me wrong, but I don't see him starting ahead of both Silvas and better integrated KdB. For those who think we'll play with 2 wingers in every game: I don't remember Guardiola caring about symmetry, using pure winger on one side and a playmaker on another is a norm for him, there are numerous examples from his Barca days.
Also, there are rumours that we're after another forward/winger.
My prediction is that if Raz doesn't improve drastically, he'll steadily become a rotation player. Still very valuable, but not so crucial as this season.

Aguero's place as a starter is also at threat, so is sane's, so is de-bruyne's with gundogan and b.silva both able to play his role. That is what comes with playing for a top team and the competition will be good for all of them. I can also easily see sterling starting ahead of sane if not for the simple fact that I think he more often makes better decisions in the final third currently but I guess we'll find out next season. Like I said before he's looked the team's best player in the champions league last season and has probably been the most effective attacker in most of the teams highest scoring wins. Is he technically the weakest link in the attack, sure(though still good technically). But tactically, especially for what pep wants from his wingers he's as good as they come and Pep has shown that system players who can play a role and get the best out of the rest of the teammates is what he values more than anything. You only need to look at pedro at barca and how often he featured for them to see how much pep values a role player and though pedro is decent technically, its his tactical side of the game that made him such a big part of pep's team during his time there and played a big role in a treble-winning team

I don't know why everyone is writing off Sterling. Pep doesn't really have a first eleven, everyone will play a lot and we'll have great players coming off the bench. More competition will only force Sane, Sterling and everyone else to improve and get even better. This is what happens at top clubs. Sterling and Sane basically had no competition this season, next season it will be a different story and everyone will benefit.

Been a long time fan, just joined the forum, been lurking for a few years. The thing is, with Sterling, people can't seem to talk about him rationally. It is either he is shit and or he is going to be Neymar and Hazard level. You can't criticize him or praise him, without either side berating each other. Sterling is a good player when he has space to run into, but when you take that away he really struggles.

Sterling has 2 traits which make him stand out, his pace (Only Sane is quicker) and his intelligence (No winger in our team comes close to that). He has an immaculate ability to make runs and drag defenders out of space. However, he also has his limitations, when I say his technique is not good enough, he is still better than most players, but that doesn't say much, for where we want to be, you have to one of the best in the world at keeping the ball in your position. I have never seen a player at City for past 8 years fail to make simple passes or fumble when the ball is at his feet as much as Sterling does. He also came out and said last year, he couldn't adapt to the one-two touch game Pellegrini had. So when I say, writing is on the wall, I don't mean, ship him out in a box of tomatoes tomorrow morning, rather he is not going to have a nailed on place like he did this year. He really needs to improve the way he shoots the ball and his balance in very tight spaces. As for the end of the season, he was ineffective when Jesus Navas was overlapping him. Just for the record, I think he was top 3 players for us this season as a whole but would also classify him as the weakest link in our attack. You may disagree with me, and that is completely ok, but I really hope the talk of Sterling isn't so black and white. People need to give him credit but recognize his shortcomings.

I agree with a lot of your points but I think that the same criticism of Sterling also stands with Sane & is just something which happens with fast, young, wide players. When Sane beats 3 men, tries to flick the ball, misses it completely & falls on his arse, he gets a kind of motherly 'awww' from the crowd (which is how City fans used to be with most young players) wheras Sterling tends to get a 'for fucks sake'. Sane has missed several chances to play in Jesus, already, in this brief time.

The big difference imo, is that Sane looks like he will be a player who will quickly get better & better at finishing chances when put through on goal & Sterling looks as if it will be a gradual improvement, if there is one.

But imo, we have quickly become reliant on both performing & yet they also have a lot of running to do. It's too much & both were struggling to maintain the required level game after game.

Now, they don't have to & they have Silva & maybe another, competing with both of them (not just with Sterling) & also helping keep them fresh with rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.