My day with the homeless

Homelessness is a blight on our city and it needs sorting. The problem is that, whilst there are plenty of people who want help, there are far more who do not. For them it is either a lifestyle choice or brought on by mental illness. For people who want help they can register with Manchester city council without an appointment at Manchester town hall. I can guarantee they will have their own property within a couple of months, maximum. They will get help with white goods, carpets, furniture and get their rent paid via Housing Benefit. Shelter will help if they need assistance with the process.

For those that don't I'm afraid, and this will upset the liberals amongst us, the authorities need to take a tougher stand. Anybody who refuses help due to a lifestyle choice needs to be moved on and given banning orders. If they continue to sleep rough they face arrest. Anybody with a mental illness needs to be sectioned and given the help they need. Begging needs to be tackled and arrests need to be made. Our city needs cleaning up of this blight.

I know of at least two rough sleepers who have fantastic flats in West Gorton, the new ones at Ashton Old Road but for whatever reason sleep rough. I know beggars who give the impression of homelessness but have a social rent flat in the city centre.

Please don't give money, for the most part it will go on drugs or alcohol and the vast majority of beggars are not homeless.

Fair play to the OP. I met someone yesterday who does a food run every Friday night feeding homeless. Sound guy.
Was about to Echo these thoughts, so good post Bud.

Having worked around the City Centre for awhile, regularly I saw people coming off buses, from other areas, and pitching up in more 'prime' areas if the centre for begging.

Quite often, after the beggars accumulated enough money, they'd be going over to the dealers and getting their fix.
Not every beggar, but many do provide a regular income to the street dealers.

Then there's the shoplifters who frequently patrol through market Street (after grabbing whatever it is from Arndale)
They will often try and sell this stuff to everyday people out shopping/working and we, the general public, are buying these stolen items - thus feeding habits again.

Yes a few genuine homeless people won't have any addictions, but most from my experience of speaking with them everyday, will develop addictions as a coping mechanism in dealing with the homelessness/mental health issues.
Then some hostels don't allow people dependant on drink /drugs.
This is the cycle.

Money is not the answer.
Not when with my own eyes, I see dealers instructing beggars where to go, and moving other beggars on who don't buy their products.

If you wish to continue feeding the illegal drugs trade then that's your choice. I know where my conscience is.

Finally, a large proportion of beggars in Manchester Centre aren't actually from the area.
What is this telling us?
Is it the same in say other big cities?
Is Leeds full of Mancs and Geordies begging?
I don't know as I have no experience in these cities.

From little understanding after speaking with homeless people, many commented on reasons they were in the area, most saying to Flee their known areas, escaping friends and family.
Feelings of embarrassment for their current way of life.
And some commented on Manchester's generosity as a factor in staying here.

Well done to everyone who helps, when up in London I always ask at underground station around Leicester square if they want, tea, sandwich, etc, as others said always thought not best to give money

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.