Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but with Sanchez, it's more a case of who would start. Nolito seems reasonably happy to be a backup whereas Sanchez would expect to (and probably would) start most games. So who misses out? They might have been involved in 91 games, but they collectively played 2921 minutes in the league and CL, which is 503 minutes less than Kevin De Bruyne.

Here's a list of our attacking players and how many games they played in (substitute appearances in brackets):

KDB - 53 (5)
Aguero - 44 (8)
Sterling - 46 (6)
Silva - 46 (3)
Sane - 37 (8)
Jesus - 11 (2)
Navas - 35 (17)
Nolito - 28 (14)
Iheanacho - 28 (20)

If you add up Navas, Iheanacho and Nolito, you get 40 starts, which it just about enough to bring a player like Sanchez in and keep him happy. But we've already brought in Bernardo in a similar position, and we'd probably expect Jesus to make an extra 30 appearances next season. I can't see us bringing Sanchez in tbh, unless we're basically saying that either Sterling, Silva or Aguero are finished at the club, or at least willing to play a backup role for a significant number of games. And I can't see Pep doing that.

Kelechi, Nolito and Navas (in an attacking role) hardly played at all after Christmas.

I can't believe that some people are finding negatives with us potentially signing Sanchez.

The only way to improve the side is by bringing in better players. You do this by replacing your squad players and providing competition for the first team.

Sterling, Sane, Jesus and Bernardo are all young players who will need to prove themselves. There is no better way to fufill your potential than playing alongside top class experienced players and they will get plenty of game time over the season.

Players will be joining us because they know we are building a squad capable of competing for the CL. If they cannot handle the competition then they move to a team with a lesser ambition. Which happens to be the reason why Sanchez wants out of Arsenal.

I can't believe that some people are finding negatives with us potentially signing Sanchez.

The only way to improve the side is by bringing in better players. You do this by replacing your squad players and providing competition for the first team.

Sterling, Sane, Jesus and Bernardo are all young players who will need to prove themselves. There is no better way to fufill your potential than playing alongside top class experienced players and they will get plenty of game time over the season.

Players will be joining us because they know we are building a squad capable of competing for the CL. If they cannot handle the competition then they move to a team with a lesser ambition. Which happens to be the reason why Sanchez wants out of Arsenal.

Like your argument - makes perfect sense imo.

No negatives for me. The guy is a world class player, scores plenty, works his rocks off. If there's a chance of getting him we need to give it everything.

Like your argument - makes perfect sense imo.

Players like Sanchez and Aguero know they are good enough to play for any team in the world. They won't be put off by the competition.

They are also approaching 30 which means after 2/3 more seasons, the likes of Sane, Sterling and Jesus will be in their peak.

Also, in Pep we have a manager who will play the players who are in form. If Sterling is playing well he won't hesitate in dropping Sanchez for him.

That's the key to keeping players happy!

But Navas and Nolito were not near the first team. Navas featured as a right back. 4 into 3 with additional cover from a young player like Roberts works, but 5 is too much.

Navas contributed at right back for a small part of the season. Just checked, 5 games out of the 31 he played so your wrong to say he just featured as a right back. He featured much more at the top end of the pitch over the entire season. As I stated, Navas, Nolito and Kelechi played in 95 games to various degrees, so while not regular starters they did contribute. I'm not advocating buying 3 players to replace these 3, but we do need more up there than what we have and Sanchez is probably available and world class

4 into 3 means we have absolutely no cover for any injury or suspension from the bench apart from an untried kid at this level. It would be suicidal to go with what your suggesting..

During both our championship seasons 2011/12 (Aguero, Dzeko, balotelli & tevez) and 2013/14 (Aguero, dzeko, Negrado & Jovetic) we had 4 into 2 and they all contributed at certain points during those seasons. so why you think 5 into 3 is too much isn't logical. 5 is the minimum we should have for the front 3 positions.

We had 7 this year with Aguero, Jesus, Nolito, Navas, Kelechi, Sane and Sterling which is too much in terms of numbers but not enough in terms of quality. But 3 are gone and a 5 including Sanchez would be very strong. Just don't get how anyone would not want this to happen?

Last edited:
He's a brilliant player, i'd love to see him at City.
Personally i think he'll end up elsewhere but i hold out hope.

Sanchez is a quality player.

But there's team chemistry to consider - would he be friendly/motivate others around him? What if he experiences a lack of form and isn't played - will that motivate him or will he brew dressing-room trouble?

For me - very talented - but no way I'd want him in our squad.

Pep seems to like him though - so we may end up with him in spite of how I feel.

Every time I see him he's expressing huge dissatisfaction if he doesn't get the ball when he wants and seems to mope about the field

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.