MEN - United have "embarrassed" City over academy graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is important to understand what Rashford is ,he is a poor footballer who the Glaizers need to take over the mantle of icon from Rooney, just a marketing tool his stats do not stand up to Bents.
I know a rag who runs his mouth off about youth in the first team, my reply to him is the same as last year ` there are always better players abroad which is why you are a mid table team just as city was when we had the record for bringing through youth players into the premiership`
we will bring in youth when they are good enough , not just for marketing
Makes you wonder what possessed Patrick Barclay to talk about Januzaj in such effusive terms, based on little or no discernible evidence. He'd been playing for about a month when Barclay talked about him in ridiculously speculative terms. There was absolutely no need. What would possess someone to make themselves such a hostage to fortune? I really can't imagine.

I think the idea that there is no place for youth at the top level because of the money is rubbish to be honest. In fact i think it's almost vital and possibly part of the reason English teams have been struggling in Europe recently. People talk about the passion in English football, almost dismissively as though it's valued over technique and ability to our detriment. But i see more passion in European teams when they step on the pitch than i do for most of the top English sides.

Bayern: Muller, Lahm, Alaba, Kimmich, Hummels
Real Madrid: Carvajal, Ramos, Nacho, Vasquez, Asensio, Morata
Barca: Messi, Iniesta, Pique, Alba, Roberto, Busquets, Rafinha
Juventus: Chiellini, Marchisio, Buffon, Bonnuci, Rugani, De Ceglie

All from their academies or at least signed at a relatively young age and have developed that connection with the club. You can argue the finer points with some of those players and admittedly quite a few have left and come back, but the general point is i think there's a recognition at even the biggest, most successful and richest clubs that having players who identify with the club, the fans and the area is beneficial on the pitch.

At the very top level, football is a game of extremely fine margins. If playing for your local club gives an extra few percent, gives you the slightest edge, then it can make the difference between winning and losing.

We've not been good at it in recent seasons, although there are mitigating factors i think it's the stark truth that we should have done better with our youth players.

I remember when Van Persie was signed by Arsenal as a left winger before being converted to a striker. He did not walk straight into the Arsenal team & when asked by a reporter when he thought he would get his chance he said Wenger had told him when you can beat our 1st team defenders in training then you will be ready. Now I imagine that is how all clubs operate when assessing if a youth prospect deserves a chance. It seems the most logical, common sense approach, Youth forward or defender is showing great potential week in & week out in reserve games lets have him train with the first team & see how he does against 1st team defenders & strikers. Maybe our prospects when asked to train with the 1st team have come up short. Just taking Barker as an example (& I am a big fan of Barker & still hoping he comes thru). I am pretty sure if when training with the 1st team if he had been ripping apart the likes of Zabba, Clichy, Sagna & Kola Pellegrine would not have been able to get him in the 1st team quick enough. That's why I think everybody should leave it to the experts to decide when a youth star gets his chance.

it is important to understand what Rashford is ,he is a poor footballer who the Glaizers need to take over the mantle of icon from Rooney, just a marketing tool his stats do not stand up to Bents.
I know a rag who runs his mouth off about youth in the first team, my reply to him is the same as last year ` there are always better players abroad which is why you are a mid table team just as city was when we had the record for bringing through youth players into the premiership`
we will bring in youth when they are good enough , not just for marketing

Sorry mate but I think you are being blinded by the colour of the shirt. He is a more than a decent prospect and has done remarkably well at this stage in his career. Much more than a marketing tool and more than good enough to hold and contribute to a top six squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.