Ryan Bertrand

The reactions to this deal have been disgraceful. Why is it that literally whenever we are linked to an English player no matter how good they actually are there's a corner of this forum that needs to shit on them. So tedious. Walker thread is proof positive as is this one.
Through somewhat gritted teeth I agree. Bertrand and Walker are very good full backs, who would improve us considerably, yet they get slagged off because they lack the shininess of being from overseas. I haven't seen enough of Mendy to KNOW he will be better than Bertrand, and I think if we buy him it means Pep rates him

It would be the same if we did sign Mendy (or alternative player) first. I am not totally against Bertrand signing, but we could do with an extra left-back.

Last edited:
Through somewhat gritted teeth I agree. Bertrand and Walker are very good full backs, who would improve us considerably, yet they get slagged off because they lack the shininess of being from overseas. I haven't seen enough of Mendy to KNOW he will be better than Bertrand, and I think if we buy him it means Pep rates him

Do you think we'd be chasing Bertrand if he was an Estonian playing for Herha Berlin & available for 10 mil ?

I don't. He's English & plays here, that's why he's relevant.

Do you think we'd be chasing Bertrand if he was an Estonian playing for Herha Berlin & available for 10 mil ?

Do you think we'd be buying him if he wasn't good enough?

If that not all that matters? He's good enough in the eyes of the guy in charge.

The fact he's familiar with the league and is English might be a bonus which gets him ahead of Vitali from Estonia, but who cares? I don't believe his nationality is the driving factor behind the transfer.

Why not, we bought a Belgian from Hamburg for less. We took a gamble on a 2nd rate Brazilian from Portuguese league (even though it didn't work)
Plus why is this even an argument, don't we need players to fill our HG quota anyways? and what's better to fill it with a player who's actually decent and definitely an upgrade on what he's replacing.

We are, allegedly, after him because the manager believes he is the right person and price for the position. I can only assume if there was a better player for the position, at the right price, in the manager's view, then he would be after him. I agree that being English and having played in England are key factors in terms of both the PL/UEFA rules, and the manager's likely views on relevant experience

Why not, we bought a Belgian from Hamburg for less.

The whole world knew about Kompany since he burst on the scene at 17 and made his international debut at 18. A terrific player who was destined for stardom from a young age and had a maturity beyond his years; similar to how Tielemans has looked so far.

I don't know what I'm getting at other than Vinnie isn't a great example of a little known player signing for us out of the blue. Zabaleta might be a better case.

Anybody know why Chelsea sold Bertrand. Surplus to requirements or non football reasons?

The whole world knew about Kompany since he burst on the scene at 17 and made his international debut at 18. A terrific player who was destined for stardom from a young age and had a maturity beyond his years; similar to how Tielemans has looked so far.

I don't know what I'm getting at other than Vinnie isn't a great example of a little known player signing for us out of the blue. Zabaleta might be a better case.

I remember reading about VK in MATCH magazine when I was about 10 and always buying him on FM 2008.

I'd be very pleased with Bertrand, for me he's level with Rose as the best LB in the PL. £20M would be a very good deal in my opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.