Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We arent talking about saying they cant do it, you are saying that just because people voted for a party that had brexit in the manifesto automatically supports brexit, thats what is nonsense, huge numbers of voters for both parties will be remainers. Voter can vote on Thursday and change their mind on Friday nobody pledges anything.

except they do, that's why parties put manifestos there. Vote for us, and we'll do this. If you do a Lib Dem 2010 and renege, you get fucked, as would Corbyn if he broke his pledge on Brexit.

16% of the voting population decided remaining in the EU was important enough to vote for, the other 84% whether they were remain or leave have voted to get on with Brexit.

if you voted for Labour, you voted for the manifesto which included leaving the EU with no movement.

If you didnt like that policy, shouldn't have voted for it. Was always the Lib Dems to vote for.

On that 'logic', very few would have voted for anyone, as I doubt many agreed with every manifesto point.
It is, as I said, bunk.

why then are lots of remainers saying that this election means we dont want a hard brexit ? i agree this election was about lots of different issues btw.

Because the party with the 'hardest' line lost their majority rather than strengthened it.
Because the party with a 'softer' approach gained quite a lot of seats and an awful lot of votes.
A 'hard' brexit would need support of the DUP to go through, and that isn't going to happen.

It's not just remainers saying that as far as i can tell; loads of leavers have said the same, some many many times! Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I'm certainly not sold on it being impossible, but I think there may not be the political will in the Conservatives to be held responsible for the initial downturn that is expected to happen.

That's the way I feel too. If we don't leave the single market and the customs union etc then I wouldn't feel I would have anything left to vote for.

Cheer up for fuck sake. :)

I pictured you nailed on a cross pleading with the heavens in a ham actor American accent. Read it that way then go and get a fucking beer. :)

'

Except:
The European Union are bound by the EU treaty to reach an agreement within two years.
The European Union are bound by European Unon law to act in "good faith" in all their negotiatoins.
The Euroapen Union are bound by European Union law and the ECJ and cannot enforce unfair terms in a contract.
The fact that you ignore or are unaware of such basic points undermines your credibility completely, in this thread.
No it does not - and frankly that is such a crap post I cannot be arsed to reply in any way that takes any effort.

The EU can easily extend
The EU can easily demonstrate that they are 'acting in good faith' - whilst actually screwing the UK over royally
The EU are indeed bound by EU law - what the fuck was the point you were making

I would say what I feel apart from

a) I remain vey mindful of the CoC and
b) I actually have 'given up' a bit on Brexit. My posts demonstrate that I now strongly doubt that we will end up leaving in what I consider to be a meaningful way. I will let the next months unfold and then take stock

There are some posters on here I would make a deal of effort to reply to - even during my state or mourning - given this bollocks - you are not one of them

Last edited:
except they do, that's why parties put manifestos there. Vote for us, and we'll do this. If you do a Lib Dem 2010 and renege, you get fucked, as would Corbyn if he broke his pledge on Brexit.

16% of the voting population decided remaining in the EU was important enough to vote for, the other 84% whether they were remain or leave have voted to get on with Brexit.
That's daft. Voters don't vote for everything in a party manifesto. You just can't object when the government fulfils its manifesto promises (or the Lords throw stuff out).

Technically the freedom of movement bit was not a pledge in the Brexit section but a comment in the Immigration section about what happens when we leave the EU.

You surely don't think that 84% of people still really want Brexit. Most voters rejected the invitation to vote for a strong and stable negotiating stance with the threat of hard Brexit.

Last edited:
That's daft. Voters don't vote for everything in a party manifesto. You just can't object when the government fulfils its manifesto promises (or the Lords throw stuff out).

Technically the freedom of movement bit was not a pledge in the Brexit section but a comment in the Immigration section about what happens when we leave the EU.

You surely don't think that 84% of people still really want Brexit. Most voters rejected the invitation to vote for a strong and stable negotiating stance with the threat of hard Brexit.

Most voters rejected May because she was a terrible leader not because of her Brexit stance. People voted for all sorts of other reasons as well, so how can you say most voters rejected a hard Brexit ? Brexit was barely even talked about pre election from either party. The conservatives on a hard Brexit stance also won the most votes and got the most seats.... I'd say the majority of people do want Brexit, but are arguing over the type of Brexit.

Most voters rejected May because she was a terrible leader not because of her Brexit stance. People voted for all sorts of other reasons as well, so how can you say most voters rejected a hard Brexit ? Brexit was barely even talked about pre election from either party. The conservatives on a hard Brexit stance also won the most votes and got the most seats.... I'd say the majority of people do want Brexit, but are arguing over the type of Brexit.
Sorry mate - it was you claiming that the result meant that 84% want Brexit but now you're saying Brexit was hardly talked about as a factor.

The polls on Brexit suggest that half of those who voted remain are firmly still against while half still think we should remain but accept the referendum result. What they don't seem to ask is, had the vote had been narrowly to remain, would leavers now be split between those wanting out and those respecting the result?

Now that young people can be arsed getting out of bed to vote, and on the basis that May "lost" on a platform of giving her free rein on Brexit negotiations, I think I'd expect to see the number of Remain voters "going along with the referendum result" diminish because the result doesn't now look quite so legitimate. Perhaps crucially, it would be good to know whether the Reduced Tory Party (with its MPs still largely at heart pro-Remain) would elect another leader prepared to threaten "no deal is better than a bad deal". Would Boris stand on his stupid "you can have your cake and eat it" bit of nonsense?

When we have the autumn general election, how about an EU referendum at the same time? (May could then campaign properly for Remain!)

Sorry mate - it was you claiming that the result meant that 84% want Brexit but now you're saying Brexit was hardly talked about as a factor.

The polls on Brexit suggest that half of those who voted remain are firmly still against while half still think we should remain but accept the referendum result. What they don't seem to ask is, had the vote had been narrowly to remain, would leavers now be split between those wanting out and those respecting the result?

Now that young people can be arsed getting out of bed to vote, and on the basis that May "lost" on a platform of giving her free rein on Brexit negotiations, I think I'd expect to see the number of Remain voters "going along with the referendum result" diminish because the result doesn't now look quite so legitimate. Perhaps crucially, it would be good to know whether the Reduced Tory Party (with its MPs still largely at heart pro-Remain) would elect another leader prepared to threaten "no deal is better than a bad deal". Would Boris stand on his stupid "you can have your cake and eat it" bit of nonsense?

When we have the autumn general election, how about an EU referendum at the same time? (May could then campaign properly for Remain!)

Don't think there is any doubt that a second referendum will be held.

The crucial point as always is how the question will be framed.

If it is a straight choice between a deal on any terms or walking away then Brexit could still happen

If it includes a remain option then I fully expect the UK to vote to remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.