Was it ever English?

Why Always Ste

I have always referred to the English Premier League as exactly that when it formed after the English Division One... THE English Premier League.

However I've only just noticed the Twitter account for this league handle is @premierleague
And the domain name is https://www.premierleague.com/this-is-pl/the-premier-league

Take a look there, I really. Struggle finding any reference to this league having any connection to England, it's like they are purposely avoiding the use of "England"

So what?

Well it's only a theory but maybe we will eventually see this league completely migrating out of here?
With big Derby matches played all over the fucking world, rather than unimportant friendly matches during the summer ....

If you want to watch City in the future live, you'll need to either be a millionaire or a fucking air pilot I'm thinking.

This for me is why CFG couldn't give a hoot about diehard fans, as well, the future of this league is to be played throughout the season all over the world.

Also, maybe the FA/League Cup final possibly being played in China or something.

Maybe not tomorrow, but I can smell it.

Only a theory, if you see otherwise on the future of the game then I'm all ears

Last edited:
It was always the football league (or the Canon League division 1 etc). The same as the FA. They are known as The FA because they were the first and that distinguishes it from say the Scottish FA or Welsh FA.
The Premier Leagye was the PL when introduced, I think this EPL bit is more recent (certainly in the States) as the Yanks are probably to dim to work out where / which country they are watching a game from. I don't know many people in England who refer to it is the EPL.

I think it's always just been the Premier League. That is enough to distinguish it from La Liga and Serie A etc which also don't use the country name. I don't think there is anything particularly sinister about it to be honest.

Generally people I know that refer to it as the EPL are overseas fans.

I think it's always just been the Premier League. That is enough to distinguish it from La Liga and Serie A etc which also don't use the country name. I don't think there is anything particularly sinister about it to be honest.

Generally people I know that refer to it as the EPL are overseas fans.
It is definitely marketed in the US as the EPL or BPL (probably because of Swansea!).

I have always referred to the English Premier League as exactly that when it formed after the English Division One... THE English Premier League.

However I've only just noticed the Twitter account for this league handle is @premierleague
And the domain name is https://www.premierleague.com/this-is-pl/the-premier-league

Take a look there, I really. Struggle finding any reference to this league having any connection to England, it's like they are purposely avoiding the use of "England"

So what?

Well it's only a theory but maybe we will eventually see this league completely migrating out of here?
With big Derby matches played all over the fucking world, rather than unimportant friendly matches during the summer ....

If you want to watch City in the future live, you'll need to either be a millionaire or a fucking air pilot I'm thinking.

This for me is why CFG couldn't give a hoot about diehard fans, as well, the future of this league is to be played throughout the season all over the world.

Also, maybe the FA/League Cup final possibly being played in China or something.

Maybe not tomorrow, but I can smell it.

Only a theory, if you see otherwise on the future of the game then I'm all ears
The La Liga website has no mention of Spain, Serie A no mention of Italy and the Bundesliga has no mention of Germany but everyone knows which leagues they are and the Premier League is the same.

I've always thought that the BPL referred to the Barclays Premier League, rather than British.

As has already been mentioned, it's the Premier League and not the English Premier League because it's the only Premier League.

I stand corrected.

As for official league games being played abroad, would you welcome this?

I reckon it's not too far off
I think we cannot have it both ways. If we want to spend the fortunes we do as a league and get the TV deals that keep the PL at the top of the tree financially, then its innevitable. Take the china deal the PL signed recently. £600 for 3 years starting in 2019 and suddenly we see the potential of 11am kick offs. That would be 6pm in say Beijing, no co-incidence to me. The next step like you say is games abroad. I wouldnt have a problem with it really as its going to become just another part of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.