Grenfell Tower block disaster

They could bring a cruise ship or ferry up the Thames, moor it somewhere around Tower Bridge, St Katherine's dock or London Bridge.

Woman in white t shirt, "police have blood on their hands"
What's that all about?
There was talk from witnesses of the police pushing people away from the building during the early stages of the fire when there was still plenty of time to help get people out.

Whether it's true or not I don't know. But I imagine that's what she was referring to.

For a start we can get those poor fuckers who have lost everything out of a shitty gym hall into somewhere with a proper bed and wash facilities.

Yes, I'd agree with that but the reporters at the scene are saying the main grievance is that people want to know who has died. How on earth can the emergency services, let alone the council, provide that information?

Along with thousands of travellers, I once had the misfortune to be snowed in at a major European airport, yet within four hours two whole terminals had been converted into emergency accommodation, with folding camp beds, blankets, water, and sandwiches distributed to each person. Details were taken and everything was managed by state-organized volunteers. That inconvenience pales into insignificance beside the events we’ve witnessed on these shores in recent weeks, but I use the example to compare how organized some other countries seem to be when faced with emergencies and disasters.

In recent weeks, following the atrocities in Manchester and London, and particularly now following the horror of the fire in Kensington, I’ve been struck by just how disorganized and ad hoc society’s response seems to be to such events. The emergency services (police/fire/medical) are on the scene relatively quickly and do what they have to do, wonderfully too, but I’m talking more about the logistical management in the hours after such events and the immediate assistance we offer people who are evidently in deep distress, be that in delivering them physical aid or counselling.

From what I could see online, the British Red Cross was at the scene of the fire early in the morning with nine volunteers, distributing bottles of water and clothing and food, but where the people would stay that night seemed unclear, and keeping them together so that information could be retrieved about numbers involved and their possible locations in the building seemed impossible.

Other charities, religious organisations, and the general public then stepped into the breach, and the response has been overwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, I love that indomitable British spirit, that idea that a cup of tea and ‘there, there’ is the start to putting things aright, and I would never want us to lose that. But, should it only be thus, or should we expect a response from the State that is professionally managed?

For a start we can get those poor fuckers who have lost everything out of a shitty gym hall into somewhere with a proper bed and wash facilities.
Exactly. Surely can't be difficult to get them into hotels for a few nights til they figure out a longer-term plan.

There was talk from witnesses of the police pushing people away from the building during the early stages of the fire when there was still plenty of time to help get people out.

Whether it's true or not I don't know. But I imagine that's what she was referring to.
The police did the right thing,the emergency services don't need to be rescuing people who run in no matter what good intentions they may have

The police did the right thing,the emergency services don't need to be rescuing people who run in no matter what good intentions they may have
I don't disagree. Was just answering the question that was asked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.