Do Petitions Work?

Usual misinformed rubbish.

A petition that gets 100,000 signatures WILL BE CONSIDERED for debate by some boring old farts who sit in judgement once they've stopped laughing at the idiots who post them and the others that sign them.

Do you really think they debated whether Jeremy Clarkson should be PM?

Petitions are an utter waste of time and effort designed to fool disgusted of Tunbridge and his ilk that he actually has a say.

Spot on.
See 'Modern life is goodish' for a funny take on the whole petitons sham.

A very impressive piece of research from Bluehammer that would indicate that petitions can be effective but is there a reason that these succeeded and so many fail? One reason for a limited response in the UK is down to the ease of getting petitions signed. Basically, if you put the effort in you will get signatures. So often people approached in the streets will sign without any understanding of what they are signing or much in the way of detail. I think generally we British are too polite to say no, I know nothing about this topic so I won't sign.

3 million people demonstrated in London and throughout the UK. The UK still bombed Iraq.

And that's the truth of it, online petitions whilst effective for some concessionary causes are expedient people on the streets in huge numbers are not listened to.

I think they can put pressure on govts and possibly influence how they act. I don't think they are a magic bullet though, because magic bullets don't exist.

I don't agree with the 'what's the point' well, the point is the powers just love people adopting that attitude.

What's the point? They're all the same, bollocks.

As part of a democracy they can show the feeling in the country and they do have influence, and even if that is not as great as we would perhaps hope, it is better to have them and voice opposition if you feel strongly enough.

The Fox hunting one and social media backlash has forced Shits Her Tights Mayday, has dropped this heartless plan to reintroduce it. The utter heartless, cruel and emotionless failed Daily Mail project has taken heed.

Still won't save the useless bastard though, will it?

I think they can put pressure on govts and possibly influence how they act. I don't think they are a magic bullet though, because magic bullets don't exist.

I don't agree with the 'what's the point' well, the point is the powers just love people adopting that attitude.

What's the point? They're all the same, bollocks.

As part of a democracy they can show the feeling in the country and they do have influence, and even if that is not as great as we would perhaps hope, it is better to have them and voice opposition if you feel strongly enough.

The Fox hunting one and social media backlash has forced Shits Her Tights Mayday, has dropped this heartless plan to reintroduce it. The utter heartless, cruel and emotionless failed Daily Mail project has taken heed.

Still won't save the useless bastard though, will it?

Petitions in their current form get abused, look what happened after the Brexit referendum.
But it stops people getting on the streets to complain so it serves some kind of purpose.

Agreed.

But what about http://petition.parliament.uk/

I'm sure it states that if a petition gains over 100,000 signatures, it has to be debated in the House of Commons?
Sure, those in power can still brush the issue off, but it's something at least.

Although I fully agree, actual people on foot, out there in public view is far more effective
It doesn't have to, it just is allowed to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.