2 x 45 minute halves to be scrapped ??

i find most frustrating amount of time is when a team gets a 'dangerous' free kick outside the box

- player goes down from a innocuous challenge
- opposition players surround the ref that it was never a foul
- ref has a chat with the opposition players telling them to go away
- two free kick takers have a chat deciding who to shoot
- ref has a chat to the free kick taker and tells him to await the whistle
- the opposition wall is stood a few yards in front of the ball
- the ref moves the wall back 10 yards
- the ref has a chat to the whole of the wall
- the ref gets out his spray paint and draws a line in front of the wall
- the ref does a slow walk out the way and blows whistle

... free kick taker balloons it over the bar
But under the "new" rules, the ball won't be in play, and the clock started, until it is kicked. No time wasted.

A strange one for me to agree to, as the idea of football not being 45 mins per half is ridiculous, it is all I have known since I started watching footy and city in the mid 80s.

But I also feel that certain teams and managers who encourage time wasting, Pulis springs to mind, should be put on trial for wasting the public's time and money.

I'd rather they explored other opportunities first. A hint, yellow cards CAN be issued for time wasting any time during the match refs, not only in the 95th minute. Strikes fear in me when I see the opposition goalie time wasting at a goal kick during the first half, you know you're in for a long afternoon and unless City get a early goal then you won't be seeing much football today.

Typical dumbing down and giving in to the time-wasters. Each half wasn't set at 45 minutes to allow for time wasting, it was set at that because that's how long the game should last to be a fair competition.

Saying "oh but the ball's only in play for 30 minutes so let's reduce each half to that" is defeatism of the highest order. Stop the clock yes, about time, but, for fuck's sake treat the symptom don't kill the fucking patient.

A strange one for me to agree to, as the idea of football not being 45 mins per half is ridiculous, it is all I have known since I started watching footy and city in the mid 80s.

But I also feel that certain teams and managers who encourage time wasting, Pulis springs to mind, should be put on trial for wasting the public's time and money.

I'd rather they explored other opportunities first. A hint, yellow cards CAN be issued for time wasting any time during the match refs, not only in the 95th minute. Strikes fear in me when I see the opposition goalie time wasting at a goal kick during the first half, you know you're in for a long afternoon and unless City get a early goal then you won't be seeing much football today.

but there is no way of proving someone is down 'injured' through time wasting

2 x 45 minute halves to be scrapped ??

I'm confused, I thought the first half was 45 mins and the second was 40 mins ? Or have I been missing the last 5 minutes when I leave the ground ?

It's a brilliant idea, will stop the cheating that a lot of clubs have become masters at. All for it.

I don't like it, very americanised and lots of potential for tv adverts. The acting in the game has gotten fairly pathetic though and needs to be addressed with way harsher penalties

Martin Samuel has written a good piece on this today, particularly about the idea of introducing the same self-pass rule that hockey has for free-kicks:
In hockey, when a free hit is awarded, the player does not have to pass to a team-mate to restart. The player can simply put the ball down and start running with it. He or she doesn't have to wait for the referee's whistle, either. Rugby has a version of this, too. It is called tap and go.

In hockey, the defending team must retreat five yards. That would be 10 in football. But if the taker wants to go quickly, the opposition can be within that range — as long as they do not attempt to play the ball. Any intervention is a sin-bin offence — or a yellow card in football.

Elleray argues this would benefit attacking play by eradicating tactical fouls but it does more than that. Yes, it makes the game faster and benefits the attacking team, but self-passing also eradicates dissent.

Who would waste time arguing with the referee when, as soon as the foul is given, Lionel Messi can put the ball down and start dribbling? These days hockey players simply sprint into their defensive positions without a murmur because the game is up and running again. It is a magnificent rule.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...earning-hockey-lesson-last.html#ixzz4kbehCFlc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.